Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
culled
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New designer outlet village planned for Cannock

Express and Star

Plans for the biggest outlet village in the Midlands which will boast more than 100 shops, restaurants and a cinema, were today unveiled.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/06/13/new-designer-outlet-village-planned-for-cannock/

The scheme earmarked for land in Cannock could create up to 800 jobs and council chiefs have today welcomed the project hailing it as a boost for the area.

Bosses behind the ambitious development say it will rival the likes of Bicester Village in Oxford and Cheshire Oaks.

Big names such as Superdry, Paul Smith and Ralph Lauren are likely to open at the site off Lichfield Road next to Mill Green Nature Reserve and it will be the biggest outlet village in the Midlands.

Cannock Chase Council leader George Adamson was among those who have welcomed the development and he said it was 'fantastic news'.

The multi-million pound 307,000sqft retail destination will boast up to 130 stores, five or six restaurants and a cinema.

A 2,000 space car park is also included in the scheme.

Rioja Developments and Development Securities PLC are working together on the project and hope to submit a planning application later this year.

Giles Membrey, managing director of Rioja Developments, said: "We are excited to be looking at an opportunity to develop a designer outlet village in Cannock for the West Midlands, especially as we know that there is limited choice in terms of this type of destination in the region.

“Our own market research and site searches clearly show that Mill Green is the best location in the West Midlands for our proposed scheme.

“This development will create hundreds of local jobs and trigger a much-needed injection of inward investment in the area.

"It will rival the likes of Bicester and Cheshire Oaks and the brands will be top end quality ones. This is a development for the West Midlands, not just Cannock."

He added Cannock was chosen as it had excellent transport links being so close to the M6.

A consultation will soon be launched to gage public opinion on the scheme.

Plans will then be submitted to the district council later in the year.

If the proposals are approved, the outlet village could open by the end of 2017
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/06/13/new-designer-outlet-village-planned-for-cannock/

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Blimey, that's near my family home.

So Cannock town centre decays while a shiny fashion village opens.
Hope there is some thought as to how to treat the town centre in light of this.

Cinema would be very welcome as Cannock's two screen and the expansion of the town into Heath Hayes means people usually travel to Walsall, Wolverhampton or Birmingham.

·
culled
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me on the one hand it is a huge drain on Wolverhampton and Walsall who are already struggling, but on the other is a challenger to Cheshire oaks, which I and I'm sure thousands of midlanders travel to from time to time.

It's all tat, most of it pointless riding off misconceptions of the word "outlet", but there are brands that are just difficult to find otherwise and the layout of c. Oaks is pleasant (now that the choking health hazard food court has gone).

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
The nearby Mill Green is a lovely little nature reserve so it could have the advantage of a green setting nearby too and Cannock railway station wouldn't be too far away plus the line will be electrified so even quicker to get to.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,084 Posts
Here's a novel idea - why not create the designer village in the town of Cannock?... d'oh....

Reactions: feltip

·
culled
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is easily in walking distance of both the railway station and town centre. I'd like to see a fronted street between the three really to tie it all together and keep it a coherent town centre, rather than separate entities.

·
Gone for a bit
9,499 Posts
Traffic in the area is pretty poor already and Cannock town centre is dead. Can't see this helping either of these.

Thought there was a similar, smaller thing happening at Resorts World (50 stores)?

·
culled
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If not a suburb it's definitely a dormitory town. Cannock's own industry very much died out with the collapse of the mining industry.

Its a pleasant enough town. I hope this designer village will encourage more visitors to the high street, not just itself. But then what can you do? I bet they had similar concerns when the two shopping centres opened up in the town, dragging trade from the High Street. And definitely when the Orbital opened.

Were they not going to get a Marks and Spencer but turned it down?

·
culled
20,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In many ways it will be, but in a good way. I'd be quite happy with thousands living around Eastside, going to London to work, and coming back to Birmingham to spend their free time in its bars, restaurants, theatres and shopping areas.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts