Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know whats going up on the land adjacent to the station?

Structure now growing over the last week

·
The promised land
17,643 Posts
Not sure if it got built but there was an application for Halford Drive in Perry Barr.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
I find it bad that they build this, and not some decent offices. It is on a mainline station that goes to London Euston, Manchester and Glasgow. Great forward thinking planning by Sandwell Council as usual.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Daft that West Bromwich Police station was built without cells in the first place!

Oh and Sandwell & Dudley station really should be called West Bromwich!

·
culled
20,401 Posts
Oldbury (West Bromwich) would be a good name. Dudley Port could be Dudley Interchange for the metro, but Dudley port itself has so much land that could be used to build up a town around the station.

As for Sandwell & Dudley, it's ridiculous the underinvestment around the station. There could be a linking street with public frontages from the station to Oldbury, and then offices and residential combined on the vast amounts of land.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,259 Posts
The station name is 2 authorities - that's the best name for a train station is it??? :bash: The best way to name stations is to actually call them the locale in which they are positioned isn't it? So Oldbury it should be.

·
The promised land
17,643 Posts
As for Sandwell & Dudley, it's ridiculous the underinvestment around the station. There could be a linking street with public frontages from the station to Oldbury, and then offices and residential combined on the vast amounts of land.
Most of the land around there is industrial isn't it?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Daft that West Bromwich Police station was built without cells in the first place!
I heard there wouldn't be any cells before prior to it getting built. Any reasons you've heard they couldn't dig down deep?

As for local stations & linking them with the Metro, maybe the first bit of Metro line should link Dudley Town Centre with an up graded Dudley Port Station?

As for investment in Oldbury, that massive piece of waste land which starts at the corner of Bromford Lane & Fountain Lane had more planning ideas than days in a month, but it's still waste land. Where they are building cells that lands been vacant even longer in fact I can't ever remember seeing anything else ever standing there, so I'm glad something been built on the land.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slightly O/T, but I do remember the grand opening of the “new” station after the rebuild and rename. All the local bigwigs and Rail representatives were there to welcome the first Inter-City train to stop there.

Except the driver of the said train forgot that he was supposed to stop there and carried on through to Birmingham.

(P**s up in a brewery springs to mind :eek:hno:)

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,975 Posts
Slightly O/T, but I do remember the grand opening of the “new” station after the rebuild and rename. All the local bigwigs and Rail representatives were there to welcome the first Inter-City train to stop there.

Except the driver of the said train forgot that he was supposed to stop there and carried on through to Birmingham.

(P**s up in a brewery springs to mind :eek:hno:)
Funniest forum post I've read in months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts