SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 1300 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
btw what is with the ryokan sign in the planning elevations? Is this going to be a japanese themed hotel or something? :lol:
After some quick research it turns out the hotel is going to be called Ryokan Luigi Khans - Ryokan is a type of traditional japanese inn.

So it might just be a japanese themed hotel

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
As an aside, I dropped my car off for a service on Scotswood Road this morning and walked back into town. The renovation of the Cruddas Park blocks, such as it is (only one block apparently near complete) is very impressive, and augurs well for that area.

·
Super Moderator
22,478 Posts
As an aside, I dropped my car off for a service on Scotswood Road this morning and walked back into town. The renovation of the Cruddas Park blocks, such as it is (only one block apparently near complete) is very impressive, and augurs well for that area.
I agree, it does auger well. But the below (recent) news is something of a worry . . unless there has been any more 'positive' news since then?

LINK - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=45490347&postcount=16

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
After some quick research it turns out the hotel is going to be called Ryokan Luigi Khans - Ryokan is a type of traditional japanese inn.

So it might just be a japanese themed hotel
Ryokan Luigi Khans - so it is a Japanese/Italian/Muslim theme? Interesting...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Khan is the guy who's developing it - his family have interests in a number of shops and businesses around the Big Lamp area, as well as a number of very nice properties in Lancaster Street which is one of the old style cobbled terraces in Summerhill.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
totally agree Historian ..

it's amazing to see how many streets were razed for the purposes of the Boulevard alone .. heres a picture from the early 90's which shows what was lost even in the last 15 years or so ..

What was the name of that long straight street going up from the Brewery that isnt there anymore?, the one along from Pitt St?

I cant remember the street but from that photo it looks like a nice imposing street. Shame its gone.

·
Super Moderator
22,478 Posts
What was the name of that long straight street going up from the Brewery that isnt there anymore?, the one along from Pitt St? I cant remember the street but from that photo it looks like a nice imposing street. Shame its gone.
Is the street you are referring to Corporation Street?
No, the big wide one immediately to the right!, At least I think its not there anymore! :lol:
I've done an enlargement of the MAP at 'Post 37', which should show the street you mean, as the map is from the late 1950s.

Snow Street, Longley Street, or Douglas Terrace perhaps . . or am I looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm actually suprised how little was destroyed for the boulevard really, considering that looking at it now you couldn't imagine it any other way. But i am suprised by the demolition of Buckingham Street and the fields behind it, i don't really know the area well enough now but as i am a Gateshead child in his 20's i know nothing of the area, any idea why it was demolished and the other houses (local authority i take it) saved

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
i had no idea the brewery had extended over those houses and the green space so recently! the small triangle at the right of the pic still exists - they're too low-density for the location imo, but still, the pic demonstrates very well how we've lost tightly ordered small streets and replaced them with expansive roads and windswept empty spaces.
yup .. it was huge !!

here's a picture of the brewery site from 2001 showing how much it had expanded and in the process swallowing up most of Buckingham St and everything else up to Pitt St .. only about 50 yards of Buckingham St still exists at its northern most junction with the West Rd ..

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Application has been made for the community centre to replace the fire station on westgate road. looks less elegant and more squashed together than the initial renderings we saw.

41 - 60 of 1300 Posts