SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 1305 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cruddas Park

To put it bluntly, rough as a badgers ar*e! My wife regularly has to visit for work purposes and has had car broken into several times along with many of her colleagues!

It all depends what your views of 'roughness' are and your own personal experiences. I lived in The Cedars at Cruddas for some time and didn't have a spot of trouble. Not necessarily a place to find friendly neighbours, but for people who don't do neighbours it's ideal. I even used to venture up to The Rock (before recent burning down, lol), and even the Chieftain - not a place to ask for a double vodka martini, if you are a man. But all that in mind, the views are great, you are close to the city centre and no Wheelie Bin, whooohay!

I currently live in a private residential area, just outside newcastle, where there are numerous break ins (cars and houses), a murder and a whole range of objects constantly thrown in your garden or at your windows by the local youth (kretonites).

NB: Badgers bottoms are quite smooth and silky in reality. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The flats at CP are much larger than the average and have fantastic views - given their proximity to town the location is potentially great and they are worthy of upgrading. The downside is that the spaces between the towers are not well used and the shopping centre is dismal.

·
The Legend
13,307 Posts
I currently live in a private residential area, just outside newcastle, where there are numerous break ins (cars and houses), a murder and a whole range of objects constantly thrown in your garden or at your windows by the local youth (kretonites).
Gosforth/Kenton?

Anyway, I was reading the Chronicle just before and it showed a Mosque thats to be built which has a birds nest theme (which is now being over used in my opinion), does anyone have any information on this?

·
The Legend
13,307 Posts
Thanks Chris, thats not far from where I live!!

and anyway, they are both in Newcastle . . .
Yeah I guessed your a Gosforth person, to be fair though Gosforth is a very nice palce, and some bits of Kenton is aswell, it's not untill you get up to where the high school is that it starts to get rough. I once deliverd a car there and acorss the field you could see Montague Primary School (or atleast I thought it was) which says it all really.

·
Super Moderator
22,516 Posts
Multi-million pound mosque planned for Benwell
Mar 8 2010 Evening Chronicle

A NEW multi-million pound mosque is planned for Newcastle’s West End.

For eight years, Muslims have used a rundown Victorian villa for prayer – but a new building could change all that.

Newcastle Central Mosque, on Grainger Park Road, Benwell, is planning to replace its current home with a £3m community centre.

And leaders want the new building to draw them closer to the rest of the city.

Volunteer project leader Majah Zia, 26, said: “Our main intention is to invite people into the centre. We hope it will change perceptions about Muslims.

“We hope it will be a turning point for the North East.”

The mosque’s design will reflect this new openness.

Majah, who works as an engineer for gas pipeline manufacturers Wellstream International, added: “The building will be light and open.

“Anyone who passes by will have to have another glance.

“There will be no dome and the minaret will be flat on top. You won’t think it’s a minaret.

The mosque’s Imam, Abdul Basith Mohammed, 31, compared the building’s design to a candle.

He said: “This will be the candle where we will work to welcome people to come into Islam and to come closer.

“We are not what they think and what they say.”

A white wooden bird nest pattern will surround the heart of the building reflecting light out.

Bricks from the 19th century house, now sitting on the site, will be used to construct four towers in each corner.

And Newcastle Council’s planning committee expects the building to become “a contemporary landmark”.

The proposal was given planning permission last year and now a fundraising drive has been launched to meet the estimated £3m cost of construction.

The Imam, a father-of-three, said: “We could renovate the old building, but we would not be opening ourselves up to the community and it is not suitable for purpose. It is very expensive to maintain.”

With that in mind, 10% of the mosque’s energy will come from renewable sources.

The three-storey building would also have a gym and function room in the basement, a café and prayer hall on the ground floor, and meeting and teaching rooms on the first and second floors.

The council received eight objections to the planning application. Some people thought there were already too many mosques in the area and the new building would not be in keeping with the surroundings.

But Majah said: “We’ve had consultations with our neighbours and they were all very positive.”

Judy Evans, North East operations director for the British Red Cross, which sits next door to the mosque, said she was “absolutely supportive” of the project.

“They’ve come round and shown us the plans.

“It’s a building which needs repair,” she said.

Each Friday more than 300 Muslims of around 20 different nationalities cram into the dilapidated outbuilding on the site for prayer.

Tim Ferguson, 30, vicar of nearby Anglican church The Venerable Bede, said: “The plans for the mosque look great.

“They look really innovative and it’s going to be a real boost for those that come to the mosque to have a building which they can invite and engage the local community.”

And three years after first designing the project planning permissions was granted in December last year.

Plans were delayed amid fears sections of Hadrian’s Wall ran underneath the site, but an archeological survey found nothing.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Interesting - are there any images that go with this story?

I have no issues with this proposal - its different to when the Fire Station was proposed as a mosque. They will be building on the existing site and they clearly have the support from other nearby organisations (Red Cross and Anglican Church)

Another thing, as far as im aware the mosque will be built using money via fundraising, which is mainly donations from the community. Anyone know what contributions the council will make, if any? (the reason i ask is because of the comment at the bottom of that article on the chronicle site)

·
Super Moderator
22,516 Posts
Interesting - are there any images that go with this story?

I have no issues with this proposal - its different to when the Fire Station was proposed as a mosque. They will be building on the existing site and they clearly have the support from other nearby organisations (Red Cross and Anglican Church)

Another thing, as far as im aware the mosque will be built using money via fundraising, which is mainly donations from the community. Anyone know what contributions the council will make, if any? (the reason i ask is because of the comment at the bottom of that article on the chronicle site)

I can't be certain, as I didn't get a copy of the Chronicle tonight (had to rely on the 'online' version) but there was probably a photo in the hard-copy paper itself.

That often happens, they don't always copy them into the online version, sadly.

·
The Legend
13,307 Posts
Yeah, basically it's a green birds nest sort of building with two fake sandstone pillers to the side. I hope NCC (nor any other Tax payers money)don't put aything towards it, religion should't get funding from tax payers money, and that goes for the English church aswell.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah, basically it's a green birds nest sort of building with two fake sandstone pillers to the side. I hope NCC (nor any other Tax payers money)on't put aything towards it, religion should't get funding from tax payers money, and that goes for the English church aswell.
I dont entirely agree with that as im sure the people that will use the mosque consists of taxpayers - although im fairly certain it will be built from users donations, similarly to Wingrove Gardens Mosque

·
The Legend
13,307 Posts
I dont entirely agree with that as im sure the people that will use the mosque consists of taxpayers - although im fairly certain it will be built from users donations, similarly to Wingrove Gardens Mosque
I don't dispute that I just don't believe any religion should have funding from the tax payer to build houses of worship, weather that is Christian churches, Catholic churches, Muslim Mosque's or even Buddism halls.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't dispute that I just don't believe any religion should have funding from the tax payer to build houses of worship, weather that is Christian churches, Catholic churches, Muslim Mosque's or even Buddism halls.
I know you wasnt just highlighting mosques BUT religion in general - BUT still like i said religious worshippers pay taxes as well so i do not think it is fair to say they should not get any funding whatsoever. I dont use Chinatown BUT as a taxpayer i have no problems whatsoever with the council helping pay for repair work on the chinatown arch

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
As an atheist I'd have to agree with Chris's point. I'm all for a secular society, a part of which would remove state funding from all religious buildings - except those that were funded due to being listed, needing to be kept as a landmark etc. Even these should be encouraged to fund themselves. Religion is a private matter, it has no place in the public domain - in my opinion.

Either way, if it's privately funded, I've got no problem with the mosque, plus it sounds pretty interesting architecturally. Here's one I've probably already posted before:

If anyone gets an image of the proposed mosque I'd love to see it!

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Admittedly the second photo makes it look pretty harsh, but neither shot shows you the "visual permeability" of the building. The brickwork around the central entrance is laid so that it forms a sort of lattice that you can see through - much like you'd find carved from wood in many Muslim countries.

But I agree that the roofline could have been softened a bit somehow!

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Yup - it's called Fusion. It's on Joubertstraat in Amsterdam. Worth a google! The architects wanted to create a mosque that was a "fusion" of both Islamic and Dutch architecture, to reflect the communities that would use it. I say "communities" because it's actually two spacially identical mosques, one for the Turkish community and one for the Morrocan community.

It looks good in the flesh in my opinion. Brilliant use of brickwork anyway.

101 - 120 of 1305 Posts