SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 1307 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Very interesting - will definately look that up. The tradional mosques imo do look nice BUT i like it when they build something different, something that reflects the immediate area more than your traditional mosque with minarets

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
pity there couldnt be a mosque closer to to the city centre which would help to bring more types of people in not just muslims. the edinburgh mosque is a great example as they are very open and have a mosque kitchen on the grounds serving cheap food all day long. its practically a city institution and always packed with students.

·
Registered
251 Posts
mosque

Link from Google Street View of Grainger Park Road. I think its a shame that the existing building is going to be demolished. There aren't that many fine buildings remaining in the West End... but the ones that are still standing should be protected. The older buildings on Grainger Park Road and adjoining Western Avenue are quite superb.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Link from Google Street View of Grainger Park Road. I think its a shame that the existing building is going to be demolished. There aren't that many fine buildings remaining in the West End... but the ones that are still standing should be protected. The older buildings on Grainger Park Road and adjoining Western Avenue are quite superb.
I dont think that is the right building - I havnt been there myself BUT i think it is more towards the top of Grainger Park Road

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
If that's the right building it does seem a shame - there's plenty of plots with poor buildings or even empty plots, it seems strange not to make use of these...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There are some great old buildings on Grainger Park Rd and Bentinck Road. I saw one on Western Avenue on fire a few years ago, was a strangely compelling sight to see a big old building well ablaze.

There is a Turkish centre / mosque on these streets, as well as the Bangladeshi and the "main" Malvern Street mosque nearby on Elswick Road.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I agree it's a shame that the traditional 'villascape' of Grainger Park Road should be further eroded, but the Mosque proposals are good imo - it should be a really striking building and add to that part of Westgate/West Road. At least Tesco won't be the only landmark on that stretch. I applaud the comments by the people behind the project as well.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
are there any images of the mosque available? imo a lot of modern mosques tend to look a bit tacky.

as for tesco, i hope that won't be built. there is a big and beautiful historic building on the site atm that (at least the west road frontage) should be saved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree Johnny. Those stone buildings are important relics of the Victorian age. Enough in the west end has been demolished and these structures (IMO) are very high quality and eminently useable. They should remain and be part of the new development not torn down to make way for TESCO's car park. I am amazed they are not listed; unless they once where, and a fast one has been pulled by the developers (akin to the Odeon). Have you considered writing to the council?

·
Super Moderator
22,518 Posts
johnnypd;16th Dec 2009 said:
I read a story today, that the whitehouse centre is going to be CPO'd, which is surprising since it seems quite successful at what it does.
gregstone;17th Dec 2009 said:
The Whitehouse Centre served an important purpose for local small businesses but is riddled with "concrete cancer" and there's very little that can be done to renovate / refurbish what is essentially a large scale 50's built abbatoir. A replacement facility is being built by Priority Sites as part of the Loadman St redevelopment.
johnnypd;9th Feb 2010 said:
Images of the proposed replacement for the Whitehouse centre, containing 150,000sq ft of office and business space.

toonlad;9th Feb 2010 said:
Does anyone have a pic of the current whitehouse centre then?

WELL, we were doing the shopping today, at ASDA at the MetroCentre, and I looked up and there (on the other side of the river) was the Whitehouse Enterprise Centre!

I suddenly remembered, vaguely, that someone, somewhere, wanted a photo of it (and no-one had one) so I took a snap! It then took a while to find the request, but . . . Toonlad, you had to wait a while, but HERE (taken at Asda, over the river in Gateshead) is a photo of the current Whitehouse Centre!! . . .

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
^^^^

It's a concrete eyesore .. it was due for demolition back in 2007 as part of the scotswood re-generation scheme ..

·
Registered
49 Posts
i remember when i was a child and my nana lived on forest road a couple of streets away from it when it was the abatoir,you could hear the cattle going in and i remember a couple of cows escaping into the streets.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
As I've said before, I think the reason for the slow demolition is down to the fact that, if what I'm told is correct, the cost of demolition will be pretty high.

·
Super Moderator
22,518 Posts
Was getting my car serviced along Scotswood Road today, and took these photos of the Cruddas Park flats that are being renovated.

Doesn't seem to have been all that much progress lately, it seems?

·
Super Moderator
22,518 Posts
Was having problems for some reason, uploading photos earlier, but have now added two photos (taken today) of the renovations at Cruddas Park . . . sorry 'Riverside Dene' . . in the post above.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
the scaffolding is going up on the block closest to scotswood road so that's a bit of progress.i am interested to see what the layout will be like at the base of the towers - being plonked in acres of open land was a mistake so i wonder how this will be rectified.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:cheers:I think that is an amazing transformation. I thought those buildings were beyond redemption but that is a very stylish renovation. I hope those refreshed blocks can act as regeneration catalyst for the rest of Crudas (River Dean). Topographically on the Tyne Gorge and location next to town are massive plus points; I hope the council can get some more private sector interest to finish the last 5 or 6. Good Job!:cheers::cheers:

·
Super Moderator
22,518 Posts
:cheers:I think that is an amazing transformation. I thought those buildings were beyond redemption but that is a very stylish renovation. I hope those refreshed blocks can act as regeneration catalyst for the rest of Crudas (River Dean). Topographically on the Tyne Gorge and location next to town are massive plus points; I hope the council can get some more private sector interest to finish the last 5 or 6. Good Job!:cheers::cheers:
I agree, what a contrast between "old and new" (I thought the 'old' appearence was with us forever . . or demolition!).

The refurbished block in this photo from yesterday, looks really quite 'classy' in my opinion!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've always thought that Cruddas Park is potentially a great place to live, given how close it is to town and the outstanding views from the upper floors.

I find it strange to think that those types of tower block are now 50 years old or more.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I'd certainly consider the possibility of living in one of the refurbished blocks. The duplex flats look really nice and the views from the higher floors will be incredible.

As for Tesco on West Road... if I see another planning application for that which isn't a substantial improvement (and by that I mean a proper mixture of uses, a good design, a smaller supermarket - I know not likely - and retention of the old building on the corner with Brighton Grove), then I am going to lend all the support I can to the inevitable local campaign to stop it being built.

121 - 140 of 1307 Posts