SkyscraperCity banner

Which tower is better?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As people may have noticed, L#1 hid the fact that it was a "which is worst" poll at the bottom of his post. Here is the thread, redone as a "which is best", following standard forum etiquette.

CIS

West Riding House

So which one is better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I vote for CIS. It's a remarkable bit of architecture, one of the best examples of 60s highrise in the UK and third tallest in Europe when constructed. It is still the tallest completed building outside London and will still be the tallest office building outside London when currently under construction buildings are finished. West Riding House, however, is just a box.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Closed the other thread as it was cheekily misleading, a joke thread.

How anyone can vote for WHS is beyond me. What positives are there? It's horrible!

CIS, the tallest building in Western Europe upon completion and the UKs tallest outside London for 43 years, a fantastic piece of international architecture with a rare external service shaft. Versus a dirty faded gold stumpy depressing block with shiny windows?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Even in its present state CIS the better looking tower and when the reclad is complete there is no comparison really. West riding house should be compared to Arndale tower or Lowry house

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
When the solar panels are complete I reckon CIS will look like a sleek brand new office tower amazing to think its 40 odd years old

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
caw123 said:
How anyone can vote for WHS is beyond me. What positives are there? It's horrible!
Well someone managed to find a reason to vote for it. I wonder who...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funnily H No1 has not responded to this thread, as he managed to ignore the questions posed to him in the 'How big is your metro' thread.

Sometimes I do wonder if he actually believes what he posts, if it is a wind up, or if he genuinely does not think about what he has written before clicking on the 'Reply' button.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
morestoreysplease said:
They can both be kicked into touch on the design side - Alpha in Brum is much more elegant and has more floors than both.
Is alpha tower taller than CIS? doesn't look it.Alpha tower is nice for a 60's design but when the solar cladding is finished on CIS it will transform the whole look of the tower and it will probably look more of a contempary design.. but lets wait and see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oscar9 said:
Is alpha tower taller than CIS? doesn't look it.Alpha tower is nice for a 60's design but when the solar cladding is finished on CIS it will transform the whole look of the tower and it will probably look more of a contempary design.. but lets wait and see.
No, Alpha has more floors, but the actual roof height is the same (CIS is actually slightly higher) and CIS has the addition of the concrete shaft that goes up a few metres above roof height.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
morestoreysplease said:
They can both be kicked into touch on the design side - Alpha in Brum is much more elegant and has more floors than both.
Haha nice joke. Alpha is never better than CIS. And a council block has more floors than St Pauls, doesn't make it better either.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
Coming down from Cheetham Hill, looks awesome with Sunley and Arndale behind....looks like a wall of buildings....just a shame the tower.....doh...its getting sorted..... West Riding house has nothing to say....as posted already is just a North Tower....like we care about that!

·
Mmm, Danone
2,040 Posts
CIS
Accura_Preston, caw123, daveylad2, dgnr8, dirtyred619, EarlyBird, Evilwillywonka, highriser, JDRS, Jon Reid, Kids in the riot, NerveAgent, Nobby, oscar9, Peyre, Potato Man, salfordscally, TheFly, tommygunn, WeasteDevil, wjfox2002, Xtremegamer
22 91.67%
West Riding House
Leeds No.1
1 4.17%

Hehehehe, **** off you childish tit.

·
Registered
571 Posts
CIS would be amazing if it wernt for the lift shaft, which at the moment is pissing ugly, but the reclad will improve that greatly, can't wait to see it's finished.

West Rding house is tat, the sooner it's demolished the better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts