SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Which tower is better?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Like 'Berg'
7,445 Posts
I love the CIS, as already stated.. its different, but more than that.. its iconic. It's all alone, whilst the rest of the city is getting some tall stuff CIS is left on its todd.. Dunno if its a bad thing as such, but at the same time.. uhm.

What I love about CIS is leaving the Victoria Station, first thing I do is glance left to see it, The 2nd pic on page 1 is 1 of me fave manc pics ever. Despite having a great concrete shaft attached to it, it still looks nice to me and its not just some 60's office block, its a fine piece of international architecture.

7,614 Posts
Neither are pretty, and the CIS may just win out here. However the photo of WRH posted at the beginning of this thread was totally naff and didn't do the structure any favours at all, so it was an unfair contest. Di Livios photos do it much more credit and show it as it is seen by Leeds residents and visitors, usually reflecting the sky from most distant views as 2/3 of the surface area is that gold tinted glass, it can really 'glow' in an evening sunset.

It recently had a major refurbishment, but only internally and the entrance area so it remains the only (non council flat) older building in Leeds city centre over about 15 storeys that has not had a full re-clad.

· Registered
4,208 Posts
There is no comparison, CIS will be far far superior when the glossy solar tiles on the shaft are complete in a few weeks.Saw them being put on last week. They are quality. Anyone who thinks WRH looks better need to see an optician ...although there is no accounting for bad taste. Manchester has its own version of WRH its called lowry house and is of similar height.Cant find any photos of it.That would be a more fair comparison.

· Registered
4,751 Posts
I find it hard to believe that anyone could honestly prefer WRH over CIS, but then again everyone who voted for WRH is a Leeds affiliate!

When all CIS's new solar panels are on it will blow away not only WRH but every single highrise in Leeds!

· Liverpool + Urmston
7,315 Posts
Still looks good after ...........

vertigosufferer said:
CIS - I will always be Manchester's signature high rise. True there will be bigger, and possible more eye-catching and attractive tall buildings constructed in the not too distant future. CIS will always be the daddy though ;)
One of the best examples of 60`s architecture and its still looks good, it reminds me of the JM Centre in Liverpool and the Post & Mail tower in Birmingham ,which is sadly being demolished.

I must admit to being a tad biased on these three towers as I have worked on their construction or fitting out.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.