Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I must sound like a broken record by now, but this building is just so god damn ugly. And it's a shame, because when the NIMBYs inevitably point to it as an atrocity, there's really no response. It's just hideous.
I don't know - it looks like they designed this directly to NIMBY concerns. You practically can't see the taller part of the building - they matched the light gray Seattle sky almost exactly.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Here's the latest post we had here with renderings. 70 feet tall in an 85' zone. Two garage entrances. A driveway in front of the drug store entrance. But that's still a lot of units disappearing.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The one positive argument I've heard for the change is that it'll be easier to upzone in a neighborhood if the city wants to add capacity, since those six votes don't care about your NIMBYs. But either Seattle politics will stay too polite for that to happen and there will be the feared defacto veto, or things will get really ugly (think: state level politics, federal politics).

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
So what's changed since the days when all of our 1-2 screen theatres were built? It certainly hasn't dropped ticket prices to have staffing-efficient cineplexae.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Definitely. But I wonder if it's a chicken-egg issue. Did theatres charge a lot and condense into huge complexes because attendance went down or vice-versa? I often drive 1/2 way across the city to attend Cartoon Happy Hour with my son at the Central Cinema - I'd certainly prefer to attend something locally.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I really hope Murray's housing affordability committee brings us forward. Demand really is out of control, which is a good thing if we allow developers to build. But Seattle is still 65% single family zoning by land area, compared to 13% multi-family. And that 13% is almost all severely height restricted with forced setbacks and parking minimums. Add in a boom in mid to high income hiring (Amazon et.al.), and you have the perfect storm.

It would be so easy to fix, or at least ameliorate, with a few land use or building code changes. But the "I have mine" crowd won't let it happen.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Seriously. I have an intelligent, liberal friend in an old single family home right next to a Link station. She told me about apartments being built across the street without enough parking. It didn't even occur to her how strange a complaint that is considering her house doesn't have any parking, but I could see the light bulb turn on while she was telling me about it.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Interesting that they made them remove the micro kitchens. Not exactly the piece the neighbors have a problem with. But without the kitchens, there's no difference between a micro unit and a bedroom in anyone's home (well, a bedroom with a private bathroom).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts