SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I think there is enough going on in the West Side to merit a thread. I'll look for a few things I've posted in the general thread recently. I won't try to re-post anyone else's stuff, but if it fits it will help move the discussion along.

Maybe we should try to define what is west, north, south and east?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nonprofit to host design charrette for city’s west side

Near West Side Partners, a nonprofit group that promotes economic development in seven neighborhoods on the city’s near west side, will host a design meeting on April 7 to craft a vision for the area’s architectural and economic future.

Six teams of local architects will work with those who attend to generate ideas for six sites on Milwaukee’s near west side referred to as “opportunity sites.” The near west side includes the Avenues West, Cold Spring Park, Concordia, Martin Drive, Merrill Park, the Miller Valley and Piggsville neighborhoods.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Landscape Architecture Magazine features Valley in April edition

The magazine of the American Society of Landscape Architects published a 15-page story (p120-135), Milwaukee cleans up Menomonee Valley but keeps it working, celebrating the Menomonee Valley’s unique vision to serve people, animals, and plants, all while retaining it as a base of manufacturing jobs. The well-written article provides a succinct history and striking images of our shared, thriving urban district. Bob Schmidt of WisDOT remembers peering at the 30 acres of debris planned to become Three Bridges Park and saying, “You have got to be kidding me. We’re going to do what?” Partnerships, belief in a vision, and persistence paved the road to the Valley we know today.

Starts on page 120. A very nice story. They gathered the snakes!

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416373985&o=ext

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I know both of these proposals are older and have been talked about on the main forum before, but since mbradleyc decided to create this subforum and they are in the area I thought I would post them here again.

Redevelopment of former City Campus on near west side moves forward

Plans to redevelop a former hospital on Milwaukee's near west side, later used for county offices, are proceeding.

Developer Richard Wiegand plans to begin renovations by year's end on City Campus, a three-building complex south of W. Wells St., between N. 27th and N. 28th streets. Milwaukee County has moved offices out of the City Campus buildings, which are largely vacant, and is selling the properties to Wiegand for $272,000.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/redevelopment-of-former-city-campus-on-near-west-side-moves-forward-b99588175z1-330317261.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/real_estate/2015/07/wiegand-alters-city-campus-plans-rerouting-county.html

Possible new Cedar Square apartment complex awaits city approval

A proposal for a seven-story, 42-unit Cedar Square apartment building awaits the city’s approval to break ground on campus in June.

Saab Design, a local architectural firm, will construct the M, a $6 million building which will be located at 830 N. 15th St., a vacant parking lot between Wells St. and Kilbourn Ave.
“Marquette is growing, and there is always a need for more apartments,” said Fouad Saab, president of Saab Design. “We are hoping it will be a good addition to the campus.”

The building would hold two and three-bedroom apartments with in-unit washers and dryers. It would also include a first floor lounge, an exercise room and an underground parking lot with 25 spots.

http://marquettewire.org/3945820/tribune/tribune-news/new-cedar-square-apartment-complex-awaits-city-approval/

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Another couple of older stories that have already been posted and discussed on the main forum, but if this is supposed to be an archive of projects in the area I though I should get them posted. Also I am assuming that this part of the Menomonee Valley could be considered on the west side, if anyone doesn't think this area fits the criteria please let me know.

City Lights Brewing planning June opening in Menomonee Valley

City Lights Brewing Co. is planning to open its craft brewery in the former Milwaukee Gas Light Co. red brick water tower in the Menomonee Valley by June.

The brewery is spending about $1 million on equipment and another $1 million to build out the five-story tower to use as a brew house and tasting room. City Lights will also occupy another 5,500-square-foot building just north of the tower for its production.

http://www.biztimes.com/2016/03/14/city-lights-brewing-planning-june-opening-in-menomonee-valley/

Beer meets community at Third Space Brewing

The "Brew City" is alive with the construction sounds as new breweries lay the foundations for a craft brewing revival.

Take for instance Third Space Brewing, which has plans to open in an 11,000-square foot space at 1505 W. St. Paul Ave. sometime this summer.

Right now, the brewery's new home, which has been vacant for over two decades, doesn't look particularly impressive. However, Third Space owner and master brewer Kevin Wright says the brewery build-out is extensive, and includes a new roof and electrical, along with a variety of other improvements.

http://onmilwaukee.com/bars/articles/thirdspacebrewing.html

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I stumbled across this article on the Marquette Wire from early March around the same time the Cedar Square apartment complex was in the news. 1,000 new student rooms in up to three separate residence halls could amount to some impressive construction just west of downtown, possibly as soon as in the next year or two.

Master plan update brings possible new residence hall plans

The Marquette community received updates on master planning today, including news about possible plans to create three new residence halls.

The master plan, titled Beyond Boundaries, will be the blueprint for Marquette’s capital projects throughout the next 10 years. It is slated to be implemented this year during August or September. There have been open forums during this academic year to get community input on what the plan should include.

Strigens said the plan is to create 1,000 new freshman and sophomore rooms, which will likely require removing McCormick Hall and replacing or renovating the all-male O’Donnell Hall, which will close after this academic year to see how the university does without it.

http://marquettewire.org/3946306/tribune/tribune-news/master-plan-update-brings-possible-new-residence-hall-plans/

EDIT: For those of you who are not familiar with the buildings being talked about being removed in the article:

McCormick Hall

O'Donnell Hall

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Closing McCormick! The big old beer can. That's major.

I spent my three semesters in Schroeder. It was all right. Just a weird time in my life. I wish I could do that time over again!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The Marquette Wire is actually turning out to be quite informative when it comes to west side development news. This is a very recent article, from Friday April 8th, talking about the west side design charrette and more specifically the efforts to get a grocery store in the neighborhood. I cited what I thought were the most pertinent sections of the article below.

Neighborhood meeting discusses possible Marquette grocery store

Carolyn Esswein is a professor at UWM’s School of Architecture and Urban Planning and the director of this year’s charette. When presenting the six sites, she addressed the reoccurring request for a local grocery store that many residents voiced as a priority.

“What we’re talking about today is a neighborhood, smaller-scale grocery … , for reference, (something) the size of an Aldi,” Esswein said. “We are looking at those for the 35th street corridor, not 27th street. There is going to be another (grocery store) on Marquette’s campus, but we’re looking for other opportunities.”

Allyson Nemec, owner of Quorum Architects, and her team were drawing plans for a lot on 27th and Wisconsin Avenue and looking for ways to attract students and residents to the area. They tossed around ideas for a coffee shop, office space, indoor farmers market and restaurants.

http://marquettewire.org/3947917/tribune/tribune-news/neighborhood-meeting-discusses-possible-marquette-grocery-store/
I thought people might find it interesting that it seems that there might actually be not one but two grocery stores attracted to the area if all goes according to plan.

I was also wondering in light of the story I posted about Marquette wanting to replace McCormick Hall with new housing if we can look forward to a mixed-use building on that site with an urban grocery store on the lower floors and student housing on the upper floors?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The Marquette Wire is actually turning out to be quite informative when it comes to west side development news. This is a very recent article, from Friday April 8th, talking about the west side design charrette and more specifically the efforts to get a grocery store in the neighborhood. I cited what I thought were the most pertinent sections of the article below.

I thought people might find it interesting that it seems that there might actually be not one but two grocery stores attracted to the area if all goes according to plan.

I was also wondering in light of the story I posted about Marquette wanting to replace McCormick Hall with new housing if we can look forward to a mixed-use building on that site with an urban grocery store on the lower floors and student housing on the upper floors?
As a student at Marquette, they are going to have to do more than put in a coffee shop, farmers market, etc. at 27th and Wisconsin. They are going to have to find out how to reduce the crime rate west of campus drastically or all those efforts will fail. Once you go west of 14th, you're fair game for a crime. People and students get held at gun point there way too often. It seems like at least once a week that we receive a crime alert from Marquette for a crime that took place in the area.

That said, I think the problem can be fixed, but not just by adding a coffee shop or market.

·
Registered
376 Posts
As a student at Marquette, they are going to have to do more than put in a coffee shop, farmers market, etc. at 27th and Wisconsin. They are going to have to find out how to reduce the crime rate west of campus drastically or all those efforts will fail. Once you go west of 14th, you're fair game for a crime. People and students get held at gun point there way too often. It seems like at least once a week that we receive a crime alert from Marquette for a crime that took place in the area. That said, I think the problem can be fixed, but not just by adding a coffee shop or market.
Yeah, as someone who is a home owner in the area, I agree with you. At our last neighborhood meeting, we were told that 27th St. between Highland and Clybourn is THE illegal drug corridor in Milwaukee - from heroine to weed to crack. Unless we get rid of the apartment buildings between 27th and 35th (on Highland, Kilbourne, Wells, and a few on Wisconsin Ave.), things will likely not change. With that said, getting rid of the gas station at 27th and Wisconsin Ave. was huge! So we're the recent street improvements. In addition, Penfield Children's Services Is looking to possibly move into the long-vacant school on the northwest corner of 27th and WI. So at least some things are being done to improve the area.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
This partnership is so important. I also believe the Near West Side has a lot of room for growth. In so many blighted areas, one of the biggest problems is the absentee landlord (i.e. slumlords) who can care less about property upkeep and their tenants. It is a massive step forward to have those properties scooped up, rehabbed, or in some cases torn down and rebuilt. The architecture stock in that area is really something special and with quality corporate and public partners like these, we should start to see positive effects sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looking at the rendering of the Marquette Athletic Complex, I'm wondering why they are not moving it east to the street (6th St.). This facility in general seems to be nothing more than a space-filler development-wise. With that area already being so dead, it won't change things much. But I wish they at least made an attempt to energize the blocks and encourage pedestrian traffic. Plus, with fronting some grass and a few bushes on 6th Street, it pretty much guarantees that it will be deader than it is now with the ugly Ramada.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Honestly? It's because it's closer to Marquette. I think that if this is open to students then there will be a surprising amount of students walking in the area. I think Marquette is trying to slowly bring their campus onto the other side of 43 which I think is a huge positive.

·
3,705 Posts
Looking at the rendering of the Marquette Athletic Complex, I'm wondering why they are not moving it east to the street (6th St.). This facility in general seems to be nothing more than a space-filler development-wise. With that area already being so dead, it won't change things much. But I wish they at least made an attempt to energize the blocks and encourage pedestrian traffic. Plus, with fronting some grass and a few bushes on 6th Street, it pretty much guarantees that it will be deader than it is now with the ugly Ramada.
While you make a good point, it could end up being a blessing that they did not center the building or extend it all the way to 6th. I feel like that remaining land is large enough to add on to the building or possibly build a hotel or even expanded academic facilities if need be. I'm sure it was done intentionally.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts