SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member here for a couple of months....and this board is fascinating. The pictures from exotic and beautiful locations are almost always excellent.

But I think it'd be a nice change of pace to take a look at one of the least attractive, most sparsely populated, most harrowing places in the US....and probably the world....Cotton Country.

Pictures by me over the course of the past four/five years while I was going to school there.

The geography of West Texas is stunningly, completely, flat. Look at the table you're computer sits on or the floor of your room. It is at least that flat for almost 100 miles east to west and 400 north to south. Never a hill, never a tree, just dusty wasteland that is farmed (actually pretty successfully) by means of underwater aquifiers. When the wind kicks up (actually, it blows every single day at least 20 mph) the conspicuous red dirt that's everywhere gets into the air, reducing visibility drastically.

On to the cities and towns of the region....

Lubbock - population 200,000

downtown - deadtown, Lubbock

the glitzy South Plains Fairground - let's picnic! :runaway:

don't these houses look like they're on the edge of the world? Because for all intents and purposes, they are.

typical sprawl - except much, much worse

And of course, since Lubbock does have a soft spot in my heart, I can't help but show at least one positive image.

Seagraves, Texas. Population 450. 60 miles SW of Lubbock

West Texas is littered with dying farm towns that used to be centers of agriculture. This particular one once had a population of over 3000, but with industrialization, most of the jobs were lost. It's now very little more than a ghost town....most of the residents are elderly, and it's slowly dying off. The same is true in literally hundreds of places.

Stuck in time....

Small pocket park on Main Street - well, someone's been there since 2001

Seminole, Texas pop. 5000. 90 miles SW of Lubbock
Seminole's doing much better than most West Texas towns. Why? Because it scored a Wal-Mart, which draws business in from a forty mile radius.

Main Street

Plains, Texas pop. 1000. 70 miles west of Lubbock
This is it. You're looking at it. One main street, with a Dairy Queen and an Allsups. Throw in a couple of churches, a co-op for farming supplies, and a couple hundred houses, and you've got yourself a town.

Dell City, Texas pop. 500. The absolute fucking middle of nowhere
I'm not joking, either. There is literally no settlement for ninety miles in any direction. And it's twenty miles off the main two-lane highway from El Paso.

The town cemetary

I should post this in 'rate our talls'

Main Street

That's it. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Anyway, I was feeling a little homesick, so it was a good excuse to put on some Jerry Jeff Walker and Joe Ely, throw in a dip of Copenhagen, and dig through my hard drive.

·
18,177 Posts
nice pictures. i like seeing other parts of the country, including non-urban areas every once in a while.

nath05 said:
^^ i don't remember driving to seagraves. ;)

ever see dell city from 35,000 feet in the air? i flew over the town on a flight from las vegas to houston. i used my map and air photo interpretation skills (along with satellite images) to identify this as dell city.

here are all of the pictures from my flight from las vegas to houston. a couple of pictures from my houston to philly flight are included.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=216932

·
Registered
262 Posts
I love west Texas. It's true that it's a dusty desolate place with little connection to the outside world but it is very beautiful. The sky is so big and blue and the land stretches out forever.

·
Expert
1,132 Posts
I live out here in Lubbock and couldn't be happier! There are many nice thing here.. Texas Tech University being one of them! lol The Tech Terrace neighborhood along with the regentrifying Overton Park are really good looking areas in town. Everything south of the loop is typical suburban sprawl that I'd find in Dallas' northern subrubs with probably a bit more land. The sunsets are definitely the best though and I love being close to Palo Duro Canyon too!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Tech Terrace kicks ass. I lived on 28th and Hartford for 3 years while I was in school. The keg parties we used to have......

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
some nice, negative pics. but a little too negative it seems...

i wouldn't want to live there, but i could see Tech being a lot of fun.

i visited Lubbock for a competition in November, my pics here, not as depressing ;)

-

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Texan#1 said:
I live out here in Lubbock and couldn't be happier! There are many nice thing here.. Texas Tech University being one of them! lol The Tech Terrace neighborhood along with the regentrifying Overton Park are really good looking areas in town. Everything south of the loop is typical suburban sprawl that I'd find in Dallas' northern subrubs with probably a bit more land. The sunsets are definitely the best though and I love being close to Palo Duro Canyon too!
I'll check it by LSYD's thread. :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I remember driving across Texas, from Texarkana to El Paso and on to Los Angeles, twice in my life. What a great thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LSyd....it wasn't necessarily my intent to be negative on this thread. I think the personally think the place is fascinating...not beautiful in the sense that a million other places are, but unmistakably unique. (esp. Dell City. I could not imagine living there. But I did roll into the bar in town and had a drink with some locals...and they loved the isolation)

I promise I wasn't trying to tear the place down. But I admit that my slant when choosing the pictures was more towards the negative.

btw, good pics of the place. The Tech campus is awesome...like an oasis in the desert. And there are great neighborhoods to live.

To make amends, here's a good picture of the Tech campus:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts