SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Population numbers for Western Canada; East of Ontario for clarity.

I would love any discussion on the matter, but please ensure population numbers * other important statitical data & other information be of a valid a& trust worthy source.

Then I really thought about it, & frankly There is a lot more to Western Canada that is over looked 99% of the time when talking about western Canada regionally as a whole. As is shown below.

YUKON TERRITORY:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Somewhat related..... The economic region populations of the 4 largest western cities.

Toronto: 6,357,712
Montreal: 1,988,243
Montérégie: 1,508,127
Lower Mainland/Southwest: 2,834,194
Calgary: 1,511,755
Hamilton-Niagara Peninsula: 1,445,888
Edmonton: 1,371,317
Ottawa- 1,320,293
Kitchener-Waterloo-Barrie: 1,297,892
Winnipeg: 712,670
Halifax: 414,374

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-x/2015000/tbl/tbl213-eng.htm

·
Registered
605 Posts
Somewhat related..... The economic region populations of the 4 largest western cities. Toronto: 6,357,712 Montreal: 1,988,243 Montérégie: 1,508,127 Lower Mainland/Southwest: 2,834,194 Calgary: 1,511,755 Hamilton-Niagara Peninsula: 1,445,888 Edmonton: 1,371,317 Ottawa- 1,320,293 Kitchener-Waterloo-Barrie: 1,297,892 Winnipeg: 712,670 Halifax: 414,374 http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-x/2015000/tbl/tbl213-eng.htm
Scary thing is that at one stage the Peg was probably the largest of these cities.

·
descendant from heaven
93,980 Posts
^^ yup, peg was once the third largest city after Montreal and Toronto. Its growing tho, just not as fast as the other big cities.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Indeed, Winnipeg was a mighty city at one time. 100 years of horrible planning, inertia and plain ol' stupidity has resulted in a decrepit city that has been left in the dust by others...
The discovery of oil probably didn't help.

Winnipeg went through some real lean years for growth in the 80's and 90's and part of the early 2000's but has been strong lately. International immigration is driving growth there. They have a large Philippine community and right now the Philippines are the top drawing country for immigration. Some good numbers for the Peg lately.

Here are the stats for new permanent residents from last year.

Toronto: 75,821
Montreal: 42,899
Vancouver: 28,406
Calgary: 19,520
Edmonton: 15,465
Winnipeg: 13,850
Ottawa: 5,238
Saskatoon: 4,461
Regina: 3,758
Hamilton: 3,125

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Facts and figures 2014 – Immigration overview: Permanent residents
Canada – Permanent residents by province or territory and urban area
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2014/permanent/11.asp

Immigrants by country
Philippines: 40,035
India: 38,341
China: 24,640
Iran: 16,781
Pakistan: 9,128
USA: 8,496
UK: 5,764
France: 4,717
Mexico: 4,478
Korea: 4,463

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Facts and figures 2014 – Immigration overview: Permanent residents
Canada – Permanent residents by source country
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2014/permanent/10.asp

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Yes, but many people are still leaving. Many other cities in states with no oil have prospered because of smart state and city governments creating the right business climate (Minneapolis, Omaha, Boise, Pittsburgh, Charlotte...)

·
descendant from heaven
93,980 Posts
You can't really compare Canadian cities to the US, the American has the largest economy and is also the richest country in the world and that would benefit all states and cities regardless of lacking resource in some regions. If we are half rich as the US, I'm sure Winnipeg would have more skyscrapers than Vancouver. ;)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I don't really agree with that. There are also cities in the US that have had to declare bankruptcy and/or had to reinvent themselves. It is all about smart government, which Winnipeg has not had for decades!

·
WP-Professional Troll
649 Posts
Indeed, Winnipeg was a mighty city at one time. 100 years of horrible planning, inertia and plain ol' stupidity has resulted in a decrepit city that has been left in the dust by others...
F off already you pathetic troll. I'm tired of your Winnipeg bashing already, and yes I take it as an insult to those who live here, including myself.

Again, where are the mods to stop this bs already?

·
WP-Professional Troll
649 Posts
This is a free forum and he is entitled to his opinion and that's nothing the mods can do about it.

btw, mind your language!
Then the mods should not be lecturing me about anything I say about another city like they have in the past, right?

BTW, when you bash a city, you are an asshat troll. I'm entitled to my opinion, as you said.

·
descendant from heaven
93,980 Posts
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but you are not allowed to throw insult at other members and swearing. If you do it one more time you will be sent away to cool off, your choice.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Me thinks he doth protest too much!
A sane, rational person would simply say he/she disagrees, but when someone has an outburst like that? They know the truth is such and they fail to admit it, and thus respond in such a way...

I will say it again: street after street in downtown and areas around it are punctuated with many lots and buildings which have had no investment in them (especially their storefronts). We have heard for many, many years that the city will tackle this, but the ball is always dropped!

·
Administrator
78,300 Posts
Then the mods should not be lecturing me about anything I say about another city like they have in the past, right?

BTW, when you bash a city, you are an asshat troll. I'm entitled to my opinion, as you said.
You are entitled to your opinion but you will kindly stop with that foul language. Yellow Fever and myself are going to let it pass this one last time and next time you will get an infraction.
PLEASE stop this fighting the two of you. It is supremely counter-productive.
I'm serious; it is getting old and boring to the rest of us.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I invoke stand my ground; all I do is defend myself...

Anyway, these numbers are great, but you also need to look at out migration numbers for the complete picture...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I invoke stand my ground; all I do is defend myself...

Anyway, these numbers are great, but you also need to look at out migration numbers for the complete picture...
Agreed. There are always multiple sides to statistics. If Winnipeg's immigration number roughly equal the cities growth every year than there must be some outmigration happening, as the city also has a natural increase of about 5-6K each year. Could be the outmigration is new immigrants who arrive and then move cities?

At any rate it's great to see Winnipeg has solid growth as well as the other western cities.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts