Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
culled
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Western Orbital has been revived.

This motorway would run from roughly Junction 2 of the M54 to join the M42 at Lickey End.

It would pass between Wolverhampton and Codsall before continuing past Perton, Wombourne and Kidderminster, completing an outer ring road for the West Midlands conurbation with the M6 Toll and M6 Toll Link.

Here is the 1990s plan courtesy of Pathetic Motorways (pathetic because it was unbuilt).

http://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/western_orbital/

http://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/western_orbital/

Now the plans have been revived:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news.../controversial-motorway-bypass-plans-revived/

M54 Junction 2a would need to be changed from the plans as the i54 and i54 Western Extension are there.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
An orbital around Birmingham and the Black Country would really increase cohesion as a sort of City entity.

It also really poses the question of how much we care about Coventry. It would make the Coventry position in the WMCA even more untenable.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,858 Posts
This won't happen, but it would be great, but to make it a real orbital, the Toll would need to be removed, the costs would be way to high I think.

I'd fully support it though, London is getting a new tunnel under the Thames costing £1b, this orbital would cost less, but we're not in or near the M25 so I doubt it'll happen.

·
culled
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Junctions (assuming numbered bottom to top as I think closest to London gets the lowest number?)

0: M42 at Catshill
1: A456 for Kidderminster, Halesowen
2: A458 for Stourbridge
3: new trunk road to Dudley
4: A454 for Bridgnorth, Perton, Wolverhampton
5: A41 for Codsall, Wolverhampton
6: M54 J2a

The motorway will end there, with the M54 and M6 Toll Link providing the rest of the orbital to the M6 Toll.

Agree the Toll needs to be removed.

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,858 Posts
Sounds about right, would be great to have access into these towns too, taking pressure off A4123 for example. Also, traffic coming from the North or the Country to the South (Manchester to Devon for e.g.) would avoid coming through Wednesbury and West Brom (M6/M5) which would take a huge amount of traffic away from the region. It's a really good idea, and tbh most the people that would moan about losing green space will probably be dead by the time its complete, if complete :lol:

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I live on the A449 in Wolverhampton.

It's absolutely plagued with people leaving the M54 then driving all the way through the city to get to the Black Country Route/Birmingham New Road.

If this were built, it really would be game changing for the traffic in north Wolverhampton which is in a truly dire state from people using the city as a shortcut.

·
culled
20,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at Google maps there are a few danger spots for me.

Pendeford mill, the horse sanctuary, the farm where my friend keeps antique cars in Codsall, the south staffs railway walk, etc...

Some of it is landfill (pendeford, wombourne) but the pendeford part is reasonably pleasant now.

I know this is an important piece of infrastructure, but if it is built, it needs to be very, very sensitive to the areas it goes through. Cuttings and tunnels a necessity, and a low noise surface.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This, alongside making the toll road free, would make a huge difference to the whole of the West Midlands. I appreciate it’s probably 15-20 years away, but if the ball can start rolling now, Atleast that’s something.

·
Simples
6,803 Posts
Unnecessary vanity project. The money would be far better spent on public transport

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,858 Posts
Unnecessary vanity project. The money would be far better spent on public transport
Just out of courtesy, what public transport would you spend this money on?

Only reason why I ask is because the motorway would benefit many Cites and Towns across the country, not just the West Midlands.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I can only speak about the benefit this would give Wolverhampton.

But if you spent that money on say, better busses, in Wolverhampton. You'd just have better busses stuck in a shit tonne of motorway traffic.

Spend it on a bus lane and you'll just compress a motorways worth of traffic into a single lane and causes chaos.

·
Simples
6,803 Posts
The benefits to the south west are probably equal if not greater.

Would have cost £2.4bn in 2008.
You can double that for construction cost inflation. And probably doube it again by the time.it would open

But to answer what would I spend this on instead then for roughly that price it would pay for the Combined Authotites entire Strategic Tranposrt plan (Movement for Growth) for the next 20 years... which I recall was £3.2bn in 2016 or 2017 prices

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Completely insane (but I think awesome) idea that this diagram gives me:

Build this then close the M5 north of Junction 4a and turn it into a cycle route and linear park stretching across pretty much the whole region.

(Once that's a fantastic success, as I have no doubt it would be, we could remove the toll from the M6T and do the same with the old M6. Even better, a tiny sliver of that one could double as the basis for a Birmingham-Star City-Walsall tram line! You'd have to move all the retail and industrial to new sites along the Western Orbital or M6T, but that just gives us more park...)

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,858 Posts
Build this then close the M5 north of Junction 4a and turn it into a cycle route and linear park stretching across pretty much the whole region.

(Once that's a fantastic success, as I have no doubt it would be, we could remove the toll from the M6T and do the same with the old M6. Even better, a tiny sliver of that one could double as the basis for a Birmingham-Star City-Walsall tram line! You'd have to move all the retail and industrial to new sites along the Western Orbital or M6T, but that just gives us more park...)
Insane :lol:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts