SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some? I'm jealous of the fact that nyers and philadelphians don't have to go 3 plus hrs to the ocean like many bmorians/dcites. lol I now live 20 min from the beach. plus nyers have actual beaches in brooklyn and queens

1 is north beach around the calvert co/aa co line.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
^^ Good point! I'd love to see a new man-made beach close to the downtown area.
Considering the water quality close to downtown, swimming in there would be an interesting experiment, in fact it might even be a good topic for a horror movie...."It Came From Harbor Point". When the occasional drownings (people falling off piers or boats) occur in the harbor area, rescue people have to be decontaminated when they come out of the water. Even some of the beaches in Baltimore County have been closed from time to time because of coliforms, algae blooms, etc. PeterSmith mentioned Miami Beach. That was closed because of bacterial levels. I think you can get in the water at Gunpowder River State Park. Unfortunately, however, we don't have anything like real ocean beaches that they have in New York. Bay beaches are OK at best but they tend to be full of seaweed and crabs, and in late summer, you can practically walk on the jellyfish sometimes.

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also sandy pt state park in Annapolis has a beach. kent island? easton? cambridge? etc
just google mapped and bmore and philly both take 3 hrs and 4 min to oc

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Baltimore County's Miami Beach was just reopened this year after seven years. There was an article about it in the Sun a short while ago: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_county/bal-md.co.digest210may21,0,870686.story

I've never been, but it's only about a half hour outside the city.
Miami Beach is very small and plain [ I went there once , out of curiosity because of the name ]. Gunpowder is a nice alternative. It has green spaces , baseball/soccer fields, sailboating and kayaking. I've been there a couple of times, it's alright.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
At one time there were dozens of beaches on the western shore, and along its tributaries, from the Patapsco on down.

There was Maryland Beach, Kurtz's, Mago Vista, Pasadena, Fort Smallwood, Beverly, Triton, Chesapeake Beach, North...I could go on and on. Not to mention the ones on the eastern shore...Tolchester and Betterton, mainly reached by excursion boat from the Inner Harbor.

What eventially killed them was the opening of the Bay Bridge, which made Ocean City far more accessable. Also, many of these beaches were closed at times due to pollution issues, as we became more aware of that issue in the '60's and '70's.

And, some of these closed, or went private, in the '60's when the civil rights movement forced thier intergration.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
There were also beaches on the Eastern Shore, served by boats that ran from Baltimore harbor. Tolchester and Betterton were the best known.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
A little secret about Miami Beach in Balt. County. I have no proof of this however I doubt the duck feces contamination excuse. The park wasn't exactly closed. By closed they meant there were no lifeguards and no concession help. But you could still swim there. I was there twice while it was "closed" as were many others. I think it was more of a shortage of operating funds than dirty water. I still don't know why they lied about it. Oh wait, we're talking about government.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
A little secret about Miami Beach in Balt. County. I have no proof of this however I doubt the duck feces contamination excuse. The park wasn't exactly closed. By closed they meant there were no lifeguards and no concession help. But you could still swim there. I was there twice while it was "closed" as were many others. I think it was more of a shortage of operating funds than dirty water. I still don't know why they lied about it. Oh wait, we're talking about government.
Closed, when done by health officials means "don't swim here unless you're a bacteriological gambler"; you might get sick, you might not but the coliform count has exceeded the level where it's a good gamble. It doesn't mean that the cops will swarm out of the bushes and drag you off to the pokey; they don't really care. A person who ingests contaminated water and s**ts his guts out after being warned is just good publicity for why the beach was tagged in the first place. Public health people really are NOT idiots.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The town of Oxford, which is just south of Easton has a really nice town beach. it's a really beautiful little town to with lots of victorian buildings and little bed and breakfasts.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
The town of Oxford, which is just south of Easton has a really nice town beach. it's a really beautiful little town to with lots of victorian buildings and little bed and breakfasts.
i've heard about it, but haven't had the pleasure to witness it. i hear the setting there is peaceful.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I think I once heard that somewhere about 1680, Oxford was the largest metropolis in what would become the US. It has about the same population now as then. Some buildings are much older than the Victorian era, especially the Robert Morris Inn, which goes back to around 1710. Taking the ferry across the river and then to St Michaels is enjoyable.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Some buildings are much older than the Victorian era, especially the Robert Morris Inn, which goes back to around 1710.
Yeah, I guess a lot of buildings are colonial-era. The Robert Morris Inn, that's the yellow one right next to where you catch the ferry right.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Yeah, I guess a lot of buildings are colonial-era. The Robert Morris Inn, that's the yellow one right next to where you catch the ferry right.
Yep. Right next to the water. The ferry ride is short and you can take bikes on it. If you're up for a 30 dead flat mile circuit, Easton, St Mike's and Oxford are each about 10 miles apart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts