Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Andy
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, can you just imagine the traffic congestion this behemoth will cause once it opens? No idea how they managed to get that past Auckland Transport and the NZTA - it will cause queuing off the motorway southbound at Gillies, no doubt about that.

·
Jafa
From Auckland, NZ
642 Posts
Yeah I'm 10 minutes walk from there. It's a big bit of construction. Steel all over the place, looks great.

Traffic will indeed be a nightmare. They are probably hoping people will use publc transport as newmarket is a hub for the city.

·
Registered
925 Posts
By the way, can you just imagine the traffic congestion this behemoth will cause once it opens? No idea how they managed to get that past Auckland Transport and the NZTA - it will cause queuing off the motorway southbound at Gillies, no doubt about that.
I'm surprised the views from Highwic House weren't protected. Not that many buildings from 1861 around Akl and the current view does a lot to establish its point in history.

A blank mall wall just won't give the same sense of place

·
Andy
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised the views from Highwic House weren't protected. Not that many buildings from 1861 around Akl and the current view does a lot to establish its point in history.

A blank mall wall just won't give the same sense of place
Yeah I know - it's taken a long time for them to get permission for this, the old Auckland City planners were not impressed by an inward-looking megalithic beast like this one. Newmarket could become Dubai Central with that and the traffic. And that ain't a good thing!

·
Town Planner
6 Posts
Went past the construction site today- plenty of activity; steel superstructure quickly taking shape. Wonder if they’re planning another tower crane for the other half of the site, or if they’re just sticking with mobile cranes on that side.

Anybody know which construction company is behind this project?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here's a couple of shots from late last year, before things really kicked off.

The 277 mall building, which is being redeveloped:

20171215_194310 by John Polkinghorne, on Flickr

20180214_090021 by John Polkinghorne, on Flickr

... and the buildings on the 309 site, previously home to Farmers and a few others, now demolished:

20171215_194327 by John Polkinghorne, on Flickr

As the OP says, it's a very substantial development, and Scentre Group has released various images and videos showing how it will look on completion. Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/254425266

1 - 20 of 151 Posts