SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new Westfield Sydney opened stage 1 of its $A1.2 billion redevelopment at the heart of the Sydney CBD today. This saw the opening of over 130 new stores including some new to Australia (Diane Von Furstenberg, DKNY Jeans, Mulberry, Tumi) and others new to Sydney (Coast London, Gap, Stuart Weitzman, Ted Baker). The interior looking amazing and apparently it has been packed out all day.

Here are some photos (all from the following link)
http://www.news.com.au/business/gallery-e6frflwr-1225944626325

Westfield Sydney from cnr Pitt Street Mall and Market Street

Entrance from Pitt Street Mall, bordered by soon to open Zara and Nespresso stores

Maria Sharapova is the face of the new Tag Heuer store

The dazzling finishes are superb

The escalators

Sneakerology, a great new concept store with a unique facade on the urban level

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And some more...

Top Fruit's new store on level 5

Eat, Deli, Kitchen by Michael Moore

Entrance to Sydney's first Gap store

Entrance to Sydney's first Ted Baker store

Australia's first Diane Von Furstenberg store

Oceania's largest Gucci store

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And here's a couple more just for good measure

Level 4 - the Peter Sheppard store
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/...g-centre/20101028-174n6.html?selectedImage=12

Australia's first Mulberry store
http://www.news.com.au/business/gall...-1225944626325

And here's one for Clover's fans...

I was honestly wondering who the ... person ... was sitting in the wheelchair. Note the blokes from Ksubi on the left who are running a campaign against the council's plans to close more places at midnight.
http://www.news.com.au/business/gall...-1225944626325

·
Wolf in sheep's clothing
3,272 Posts
Looks spectacular :) If Oprah and her peeps don't leave down under feeling disillusioned by everything O.Z. I'm sure Sydney will be the main reason why.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Absolutely superb. It's a shame Westfield doesn't take over Melbourne Central, it's the perfect candidate for this type of makeover down here.

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,276 Posts
Absolutely superb. It's a shame Westfield doesn't take over Melbourne Central, it's the perfect candidate for this type of makeover down here.
I would agree, but I don't think Melb Central would be that upmarket like Pitt St though with all those new brands and boutiques.

Love to see Emporium to turn out something like this...

But Pitt St is nothing seen before in Australia, Well done Westfield!!!

·
New Urbanist
5,529 Posts
Same thing should be said about the Myer Centre in Brisbane, which has become absolutely atrocious.

Very nice refurb though top quality.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe it or not, apparently the new Gucci store is only temporary!!

I think that maybe MLC (landlord at the MLC Centre where there is another Gucci store) refused to allow Gucci to extend its lease for a couple of months without committing to renewing the lease for a number of years. Therefore Gucci either had to take up space within Westfield Sydney temporarily, whilst its new super duper flagship store next to the super duper Prada flagship with frontages to Castlereagh Street is constructed, or go without a strong presence in the Sydney CBD for a long period of time.

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Looks great! When does stage 2 open? Next year ...

I thought Oprah said her peeps were going to Melbourne for a shopping experience?

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,276 Posts
Believe it or not, apparently the new Gucci store is only temporary!!

I think that maybe MLC (landlord at the MLC Centre where there is another Gucci store) refused to allow Gucci to extend its lease for a couple of months without committing to renewing the lease for a number of years. Therefore Gucci either had to take up space within Westfield Sydney temporarily, whilst its new super duper flagship store next to the super duper Prada flagship with frontages to Castlereagh Street is constructed, or go without a strong presence in the Sydney CBD for a long period of time.
So the biggest in Oceania is only temporary? So Cucci won't be having residence in Pitt St for a very long time?

What other luxury stores are planing to open up shop? Apparently Prada & Miu Miu are moving in...

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks great! When does stage 2 open? Next year ...

I thought Oprah said her peeps were going to Melbourne for a shopping experience?
Me too!

A few more stores are set to open in the lead up to Christmas but I think stage 2 is expected to open in April 2011 with Zara leading the openings along with Miu Miu and Prada. I expect the stage 2 opening to be absolutely huge - though perhaps not quite at Apple 2008 proportions

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the biggest in Oceania is only temporary? So Cucci won't be having residence in Pitt St for a very long time?

What other luxury stores are planing to open up shop? Apparently Prada & Miu Miu are moving in...
Yes apparently it is only temporary.

Gucci will remain as part of Westfield Sydney, but from what I understand they will get a big new store that opens out onto Castlereagh Street.

Some of the other luxury brands that have (and are) moving in include Bottega Veneta (Australian first), Christian Louboutin (Australian first), Diane Von Furstenberg (Australian first), Ermenegildo Zegna, Escada (rumoured), Gucci, Hugo Boss, Miu Miu (Sydney first), Mulberry (Australian first), Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, Stuart Weitzman (Sydney first), Tag Heuer, Tumi (Australian first), Versace (Sydney first), Wolford. Prada and Miu Miu will have their biggest stores in AUS/NZ

Mid to high end brands include Armani Exchange, ck Calvin Klein, DKNY Jeans (Australian first), Frey Wille (Australian first), Karen Millen, Paul & Joe and Ted Baker (Sydney first)

1 - 20 of 217 Posts