SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Impressive, I'm staying next to Westgate Mall in the west of Joburg as well but it's so dull.

·
Serengeti
4,246 Posts
my recent trip to Nairobi...I checked out Westgate Mall. Surprisingly, I took a photo of basement, some guard runs up to me and stops me taking photos and then I enter the mall...I take another photo, again same guard runs to me to stop me! Strange!

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
my recent trip to Nairobi...I checked out Westgate Mall. Surprisingly, I took a photo of basement, some guard runs up to me and stops me taking photos and then I enter the mall...I take another photo, again same guard runs to me to stop me! Strange!
^^
You are not alone. Same thing happens to me in Kenyan malls. I usually time when guards are not looking or on hot lazy sunday afternoons when I know they aren't too keen on their jobs. I said it before, Kenyan malls rank about the 2nd most difficult places to take pics followed by the Gigiri suburb. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Westgate Mall targets May re-opening after 20 months

Business Daily

The Westgate Mall is set to re-open in May, about 20 months after the dreadful terror attack that left 67 people dead and scores injured.

A two-phase reconstruction of the high-end mall started late last year and is expected to end in the next four months, people familiar with the matter said.

Businesses on the first floor will open their doors to the public in May, but the anchor tenant, Nakumatt Supermarket, will have to wait longer for its space to be fully renovated.

“We understand that the first phase may be opening in May. They are doing renovation in phases. The second phase may take longer,” said the managing director of Nakumatt Holdings, Atul Shah.

Sony Holdings Ltd owns the mall, where a commando-style terror attack by Shabaab militants in September 2013 captured global attention.

Artcaffe, a high-end coffee shop that operated from the first floor of the mall, is among businesses expected to re-open after the first phase of renovation.

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
I disagree Brian, the more open a mall is the better. If Westgate mall had been built with a more open plan with multiple exit routes, some people might have survived the attack. Instead, they got herded into corners to meet their fate.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts