1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Now, that's what I call a sexy building

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I don't know if i'm the only one noticing but,what is the wisdom of building an all around window building in such a tight spot when next door neighbour may one day erect a taller building blocking light,view and curb appeal?

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
I don't know if i'm the only one noticing but,what is the wisdom of building an all around window building in such a tight spot when next door neighbour may one day erect a taller building blocking light,view and curb appeal?
Was thinking the same thing. Bandari plaza has two construction sites surrounding it on both sides. It will be left with only the street view after those two office blocks are complete. Fortis tower being one of them.

As for Fortis tower, unless they destroy the older buildings around it and put up towers, it will have a good view of Westlands for sometime.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Was thinking the same thing. Bandari plaza has two construction sites surrounding it on both sides. It will be left with only the street view after those two office blocks are complete. Fortis tower being one of them.

As for Fortis tower, unless they destroy the older buildings around it and put up towers, it will have a good view of Westlands for sometime.
^^
Maybe I was wrong about the view from Bandari plaza. Going by the latest update, I think the space between the two buildings is adequate enough.

·
Registered
248 Posts
AM CRAVING 4 A MEGA BUILDING IN NAIROBI PEPO.ENOUGH WITH 10-21 FLOORS.ITS TIME 4 ATLEAST THREE TO FOUR 40-52 STORREY BUILDINGS.AM NOT DREAMING??? ANY PLANS 4 A 50 SOME FLOOR BUILDING???

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You are right jogoo. Is it that Kenyans don;t have sufficient funds for over 40s or is it just government policy or another reason? We really do need taller buildings in Kenya not just in Nairobi. Who knows what the reasons are?

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,235 Posts
AM CRAVING 4 A MEGA BUILDING IN NAIROBI PEPO.ENOUGH WITH 10-21 FLOORS.ITS TIME 4 ATLEAST THREE TO FOUR 40-52 STORREY BUILDINGS.AM NOT DREAMING??? ANY PLANS 4 A 50 SOME FLOOR BUILDING???
You are right jogoo. Is it that Kenyans don;t have sufficient funds for over 40s or is it just government policy or another reason? We really do need taller buildings in Kenya not just in Nairobi. Who knows what the reasons are?
You can't expect a supertall or some tall skyscraper if there is no need to build one at the moment. It isn't a government thing, well I don't know if there is a height restriction but I'm sure there isn't, it's up to the company that the towers are being built for. If they don't need a 50 floor building to conduct business then why build one? I'm sure there will be companies located in Nairobi that may need taller office buildings someday, but 10-21 floors isn't really that bad for now. From street level they buildings still look pretty tall, and just think about it, there are all of these mid-rise/high-rise buildings coming up now, someday when Nairobi is chugging up skyscrapers the skyline will have a nice balance to it. It could end up like Kuala Lumpur for example; a nice variety of buildings.
^^ there are mid-rises, high-rises, skyscrapers, and one supertall (Petronas may be close to supertall, not sure).

One thing for sure the Nairobi city gov't should have a limited height restriction for businesses in the CBD and other areas...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
As a nairobian,yes, i'd love to see these kind of developments but,rational minds need to prevail.
I would rather we develop our industries further for better returns or invest in R&D.If the market is not there for 40-50 story towers then no need to put up one.Oslo in Norway is a rich but lowrise city.

Another is i don't see why we need to get such things as Bandari Plaza here.That thing should be at Mombasa.Putting everything here puts many services here under strain.

·
real gooner
4,651 Posts
^^
Maybe I was wrong about the view from Bandari plaza. Going by the latest update, I think the space between the two buildings is adequate enough.

image hosted on flickr
^^thanks kenguy, btw todays nation newspapaer was showing some renders for the nairobi, mombasa and kisumu railway projects, do something about it if you can please :cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with your all views but we need to conserve space by building highrises, Nairobi is already congested as it is and lets no forget to preserve our historic landmarks which may be 3-4 storeys tall. I totally agree with the idea of creating jobs by building industries that was a clever thought. We need jobs for our youth. Whenever you see a highrise coming up that means jobs too. And also if our government could cut some of the bureacracies involved for local entrepreneurs. I had an Idea of starting a coffe shop or fast food MCDs style in the CBD but can I afford good will let alone finding a spot. If someone on a serious note can get me a nice spot in Westlands that would be great probably 1million start up cost

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
I agree with your all views but we need to conserve space by building highrises, Nairobi is already congested as it is and lets no forget to preserve our historic landmarks which may be 3-4 storeys tall. I totally agree with the idea of creating jobs by building industries that was a clever thought. We need jobs for our youth. Whenever you see a highrise coming up that means jobs too. And also if our government could cut some of the bureacracies involved for local entrepreneurs. I had an Idea of starting a coffe shop or fast food MCDs style in the CBD but can I afford good will let alone finding a spot. If someone on a serious note can get me a nice spot in Westlands that would be great probably 1million start up cost
A few things you should be aware of:

1.Rent in the CBD is very high,especially on the "nice" side of town.To make things worse you might have to part with "goodwill" which will be something close to 500,000 kshs.
2.Finding the ideal location would be very hard,it might make abit more sense to try and enter into a partnership with an already existing restaurant or if you can afford buy one out.

Otherwise,you could also consider investing in areas just outside the CBD which may bit abit cheaper and readily available eg Hurlingham,Langata,Nairobi West, Westlands,Parklands etc.

Anyway,i think its a good idea you have,just a few logistics here and there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts