Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 568 Posts

·
Futurist
38,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of London's ugliest groundscrapers - namely 1 Westminster Bridge - is apparently scheduled for demolition next Thursday 25th May. In case you didn't know, it's the concrete hexagonal building in the bottom-left of this aerial view:

In its place will stand a 14-storey luxury hotel with 900 suites, along with business lounges, executive meeting rooms, a ballroom, 2 restaurants, a brasserie, bars, health spa, gymnasium and indoor pool.

It will also feature one of London's largest conference rooms.

http://www.1westminsterbridge.co.uk/

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Thank god this is going. The current building is disgraceful and even moreso because of its prestigious location. Although I can't say alot for the new building to be honest. But definetely an improvement.

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
I think I've seen this old building before a few times in various London pictures on this site, and it is dammmm ugly, so I am very pleased it is going.

And, while the building replacing it isn't spectacular, I kinda like the look of it. I usually object to the usual glass and steel look these days, but i think it might just work for this building and the area it is in... I could be wrong thogh... But anyway, they could have stuck one huge clump of steel in the site and it would still look better then the building it is replacing!

Good stuff London, finally getting round to clearing away a few of the rubbish concrete crap left over after the 60's!

:cheers:

·
Futurist
38,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm normally opposed to all these shiny glass buildings. However, this is one particular location in London that really DOES need something like this. The area is a complete shithole to be honest.

1 - 20 of 568 Posts