Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 942 Posts

·
Channelside Pioneer
656 Posts
The proposed location is right next to the Hilton on Lois, across the street from the Residence Inn.

It's a nice concept, but the sign announcing the arrival of eSuites has been on that lot since I moved back to Tampa in 2001. Kinda like Tampa Bay 1.

Doesn't mean it won't get built; I'm just sayin...

·
10,626 Posts
Hotel concept goes high-tech
Tampa Bay Business Journal - 2:54 PM EDT Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A new hotel is coming to Tampa and three other cities.

eSuites Hotels is breaking into the boutique hotel market with an all-suites hotel. The hotel brand, which features high-tech infrastructure and amenities, is set to break ground in the fall near International Plaza.

Other initial markets will be Jacksonville, Raleigh-Durham, N.C. and Phoenix. The company is targeting markets with no fewer than 5,000 rooms within the immediate area.

Some of the amenities in the $140- to $160-a-day rooms will be hot tubs, athletic equipment, built-in water purification systems, as well as tech-savvy meeting rooms located in the lobby and on each guest room floor, Lincoln Towncars and Navigators for complimentary airport pick-up and delivery and a "tech concierge" to help guests with the latest technology available on free ultra high-speed wireless and wired connectivity throughout the hotel.

The concept is being developed by Jerry Ellenburg, a newcomer to the hotel industry, who dreamed up the idea out of frustration of not finding a hotel that met his needs, a release said. It started seven years ago, but was delayed by the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 when hotel financing prospects dried up.

The final step toward achieving the vision occurred in May when the company completed a $127 million financing to build the first four hotels.

All four of the properties will be eight-stories, 224-suites, made from tunnel-form concrete construction, resulting in all-concrete walls and floors, which in turn will provide soundproofing. Each hotel will contain 11 high-tech conference rooms and a state-of-the-art business center featuring both PC's and Mac's, along with scanner-copiers, printers and faxes.

Three types of suites will be offered, with a typical 468-square-foot guest space that features two rooms, nine-foot ceilings, a high-quality bed, and a second bed in the living room/office area for multiple occupancy. A large custom-built workstation with built-in network ports, analog modem jacks and multiple power outlets will accommodate computers and peripherals.

eSuites is headquartered in Tampa.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2007/06/11/daily25.html?surround=lfn

·
10,626 Posts
It started seven years ago, but was delayed by the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 when hotel financing prospects dried up.

The final step toward achieving the vision occurred in May when the company completed a $127 million financing to build the first four hotels.
It's a nice concept, but the sign announcing the arrival of eSuites has been on that lot since I moved back to Tampa in 2001. Kinda like Tampa Bay 1.

Doesn't mean it won't get built; I'm just sayin...
There you go. ;)

·
10,626 Posts
WESTSHORE | Westshore Business District Development News

Westshore space race
State's largest office market is tight and in high demand.
Tampa Bay Business Journal - June 22, 2007by Carl CronanReal estate editor

Kathleen Cabble
Highwoods Bay Center, Westshore’s newest office building, opens in July.

TAMPA -- A Tampa Bay Business Journal analysis shows as much as 3 million square feet of premium office space on the drawing boards for the Westshore business district, dubbed Florida's largest office market.

Standing to gain at least 25 percent more space above its current capacity of 11 million square feet over the next few years, with a likewise hike in rental rates, the activity is setting off a building race among developers.

It's good news for developers that Westshore's vacancy rates are well within single-digit range -- roughly 7 percent overall and 5 percent for premium or Class A space -- which brokers view as a hopeful sign. Asking rents for the nicest offices are averaging $28 a square foot and rising.

"There is no indication that it doesn't make sense to build, based on the market fundamentals," said Jim Paladino, senior director with Cushman & Wakefield of Florida Inc. in Tampa. "The question is whether everybody is going to come to the party."

There is caution that putting too much space on the market at the same time could create an office glut, even with Westshore's extra-large capacity.

First in a line yet to be formed
Westshore's newest building, the waterfront Highwoods Bay Center just off Kennedy Boulevard, is slated to open next month and will instantly add at least 200,000 square feet of speculative space.

Real estate observers believe demand for Westshore will sustain top-priced rents even as new space opens up. Some predict that only half or even a third of what's planned will ever be built, as with downtown's condominium market.

"Ultimately, you don't ever know because something could happen with the economy," said Kyle Burd, regional VP with Eola Capital in Tampa. The Orlando-based developer plans to build a low-rise office building along West Gray Street near Interstate 275 that could grow to at least 120,000 square feet in the next two years, depending on demand.

Much larger office projects are on the horizon in Westshore, including up to 750,000 square feet replacing the former MetLife Inc. administrative center along Boy Scout Boulevard. The first 10-story office building there is scheduled to open in the next two years, and two more will be built as the market dictates.

MetWest International will join MetLife's 11-story One MetroCenter, which opened in 1988. Observers say the new development could enhance One MetroCenter, which is now 94 percent occupied and already commands some of Westshore's most expensive office rent at $31 a square foot.

The difference in rental rates between the building and its new neighbors should be somewhat minimal, said Hank Brenner, president of Taylor & Mathis of Florida LLC, which handles leasing and management at One MetroCenter.

International Plaza buildout
Across the boulevard from MetLife's site, Crescent Resources LLC plans to break ground soon on Corporate Center Four at International Plaza, an eight-story structure containing 247,000 square feet to be completed next fall.

Crescent -- which opened International Plaza's first three office buildings in 1999, 2001 and 2004, totaling nearly 1 million square feet -- plans to follow its newest building with a pair of 10-story, 300,000-square-foot buildings on the other side of Lois Avenue, at a site called Cornerstone Plaza.

Brand new office space in Westshore is expected to rent for as much as $35 a square foot once it's finished, well above the Bay area's $23 average.

While that might seem lucrative, developers are less willing to forge ahead with new office projects than during Westshore's previous building boom in the late 1980s, when costs for land and building materials were cheaper and profit yields were greater.

"It's a lot of risk to take for an OK return," Burd said. "If you build a new building now, you're going to have an arguably better property" than the aging inventory now dominating the Westshore office market.

Wishful thinking
Some mixed-use projects with office segments, such as Avion Park near Tampa International Airport, have taken nearly two years to get under way, while others are taking far longer, namely Tampa Bay 1 along Interstate 275.

On the other hand, the market may surprise everyone. Crescent's buildings were filled shortly after opening, and Highwoods Bay Center's second seven-story twin building should start construction as soon as the first achieves sufficient occupancy.

While Brenner, who saw Westshore developed first hand with Florida Real Estate Advisors (now part of GVA Advantis), said it isn't likely all the proposed space will actually be built, single-digit vacancy rates and rents approaching record levels make timing favorable for new space. Projects completed sooner rather than later have the best shot at catching prospective tenants, he said.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2007/06/25/story1.html?page=1&b=1182744000^1480222

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
WOW. I like how WestShore is growing. There is so much office buildings that they make my head spin...well kind of. The only thing I don't like is the old Austin Center complex. I think that complex should be vacated and torn down within the next fifteen years. It just doesn't fit in with WestShore's modern vibe.

·
10,626 Posts
It's only a matter of time before all of these office projects in Westshore begin spilling over in to Downtown and any land left in Rocky Point. Especially with Westshore prices already $5 per sq. foot over the metro average.

Anyway, any vertical growth for Westshore is good, its just a shame a lot of it is only psuedo urban.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I, too, would prefer more business in downtown Tampa, but image what the Tampa skyline "could" look like in fifty years when Westshore grows east and merges with projects around UT, which will spread west down Kennedy. Obviously, the tallest buildings will be downtown, but the far-view panoramic from Downtown to Westshore and Rocky Point will be quite impressive.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Am I the only one shocked, with the success of Westshore, that more residential isn't proposed? It seems logical. Urban living has picked up steam, westshore is a beautiful area, and I think something like 100K people work there. I thought for sure mixed use proposals would have started popping up. I know there is one or two, but nothing like I thought there would be.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Am I the only one shocked, with the success of Westshore, that more residential isn't proposed? It seems logical. Urban living has picked up steam, westshore is a beautiful area, and I think something like 100K people work there. I thought for sure mixed use proposals would have started popping up. I know there is one or two, but nothing like I thought there would be.
I agree. With the housing market the way it is of course, I don't think it is a good idea to start building condo towers like crazy around WestShore. However, smaller, mixed-use developments are probably more feasible for the area. I am surprised there haven't been any such developments being built recently.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
There are plenty of residential projects proposed for the Westshore area, which while not including thousands of units, will still easily represent a major influx of professional residents when the units are built... As we already know though, the market is shit, and redevelopment projects are moving towards commercial and hotel components in Westshore, because that's where the money is right now.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^^

I see. Hopefully there will be no drama in WestShore like Trump Tower...or near empty condos like in Sarasota (and other places in the bay area).

1 - 20 of 942 Posts