Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cool Robert A.M. Stern Tower once slated for a parcel at 10955 Wilshire in Westwood may be revived:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Westwood's Gayley at Wilshire Revived?

After sitting idle for several years, Westwood's Flatiron-inspired Gayley at Wilshire could finally be moving forward. A case filing from the Los Angeles Department of City Planning indicates that developer Indivest Incorporated has revived plans for the 250-key, five-star hotel tower, which would be located on a currently vacant property at 10955 Wilshire Boulevard. Designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, the 29-story building would rise 427 feet, making it the tallest structure in the Westwood skyline. First proposed before the global economic meltdown, the project site has seen little action since 2011, when its former low-rise occupant was demolished. Since then, Indivest has patiently awaited improved economic conditions and potential tax breaks from the city. Signs of movement on the long stalled development first appeared last year, when the developer briefly disagreed with UCLA on the terms of an alley vacation deemed necessary for the construction of the tower.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
The word in on the westside is that this was killed by the UCLA conference center, which provides on campus hotel space. Maybe it was only seriously wounded.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
This structure (when completed .. pleasssse ..)
could be the tipping point for an area that used
to hop with bunnies that came from all over!

I'm talking bunnies in the most plural sense!

·
Registered
18,888 Posts

The building isn't a tipping point; the subway is the tipping point.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Mayyyyyyybe.
But people can get there now.
What's stopping them?
And in the eighties there was
no subway, there were only
students and people who came by car.
And I don't know of any nearby residential
projects of this capacity situated in the area.

So, if the subway existed now, would you go?
NO YOU WOULDN'T!!
You'd go straight on into Santa Monica
where all the British pubs are located!

Once this project is complete :)lol:)
then the others who have no nuts may
think it's okay to build there too.
That's called critical mass, or
the tipping point for retail.
You cheeky Brit.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Once this project and the STTS ("subway to the sea", remember that?) are complete I won't be going anywhere.

I agree that Westwood used to attract people, but that was mainly because it had GREAT movie theaters back in the days before multiplexes and plenty of small restaurants to support them. Those days are long gone and Westwood's future is likely to be built around employment and students at UCLA, the hospitals and high rises and because you can grab a subway to SaMo, CC, DT, etc.

I'm guessing it will be the largest used stop in the whole MTA system, excluding US and Metro Center (does that sound right? I'm just guessing).

btw, I don't criticize this building at all; it's a very nice addition if it really happens. I assume that the main shuttle service from the Purple to UCLA would be located behind it off of Veteran.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm guessing it will be the largest used stop in the whole MTA system, excluding US and Metro Center (does that sound right? I'm just guessing).
Should be pretty high up there, if and when a Sepulveda Line connects to it. The LAX station(s) and Hollywood/Highland will also be busy transfer junctures in the distant future.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Should be pretty high up there, if and when a Sepulveda Line connects to it. The LAX station(s) and Hollywood/Highland will also be busy transfer junctures in the distant future.
I was thinking sheer numbers going in and out from the sidewalk not including transfers. Isn't the Sepulveda Line (if and when) likely to go through the VA (lots more room for access roads, parking, buses, platforms, etc.)?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I was thinking sheer numbers going in and out from the sidewalk not including transfers. Isn't the Sepulveda Line (if and when) likely to go through the VA (lots more room for access roads, parking, buses, platforms, etc.)?
The tentative route for a light rail Sepulveda Line ran underground along Westwood Boulevard south of the Santa Monica Mountains, before rising up to street level somewhere south of Pico.

Of course, it's hard to say what (if anything) will be built at this point in time. I'm sure the routing and station locations could change substantially. A station at the VA would be easier to construct, but would also require a pretty substantial detour.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Yes. I was picturing something that stayed closer to the 405, maybe even a dedicated bus lane from the valley that ends at the VA transit center for rail to SaMo, DT, LAX, etc.
Could be a good interim until the money for the big dig to the valley is available.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

But "Milq", how much did the bunnies cost?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Once this project and the STTS ("subway to the sea", remember that?) are complete I won't be going anywhere.

I agree that Westwood used to attract people, but that was mainly because it had GREAT movie theaters back in the days before multiplexes and plenty of small restaurants to support them. Those days are long gone and Westwood's future is likely to be built around employment and students at UCLA, the hospitals and high rises and because you can grab a subway to SaMo, CC, DT, etc.
Whatever! West LA/Westwood to me are just pieces of Earth keeping the beaches from sinking. Life couldn't get any more bland or duller than the 5 mile radius surrounding the intersection of Bundy and Olympic. Can you imagine the sustained laughter that must ensue during the holidays by post office workers in Queens upon seeing your Bundy address when sending relatives a Kwanzaa card?

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Whatever! West LA/Westwood to me are just pieces of Earth keeping the beaches from sinking. Life couldn't get any more bland or duller than the 5 mile radius surrounding the intersection of Bundy and Olympic. Can you imagine the sustained laughter that must ensue during the holidays by post office workers in Queens upon seeing your Bundy address when sending relatives a Kwanzaa card?
Slight exaggeration. You are including SaMo, Venice, the Marina, Westwood, Little Osaka, Century City, BH, and Culver City in this. Maybe not your cup of tea but not that bad in some folks' opinion. And if things get really desperate, you can always go to Hollywood or DT via car or Expo.

In any event, the discussion was about transit, not living there, so it affects the valley and central LA as well.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Slight exaggeration. You are including SaMo, Venice, the Marina, Westwood, Little Osaka, Century City, BH, and Culver City in this. Maybe not your cup of tea but not that bad in some folks' opinion.
Excluding those areas but including the Marina, Westwood, BH and Culver City.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts