Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
User Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my final external examination today, by no other than Ian Simpson.

I tried to push about Brunswick Quay but it is a touchy subject and it seems he will never design anything for Liverpool again.

Here is the project finale. Video may show it in its best light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Yo8olhxBM

free upload image
Project is the manufacturing of those Giants which Liverpool has become attached to, as well as their departure from the facility being a performance in it self. Site is set by the new Exhibition Center, just out in the Mersey.

I will upload final images once i get my laptop back from the degree show, which is open to all from tomorrow 5pm. My pin up is the first one you will see in the John Lennon design academy off Mt Pleasant :)

·
User Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is because he said it to me today as well as at a lecture earlier this year. Tongue in cheek i do not know, but he did not appear amused when i mentioned it today.

He did however say he would like to implement that project somewhere in the future.

·
Human Being
42,991 Posts
That is because he said it to me today as well as at a lecture earlier this year. Tongue in cheek i do not know, but he did not appear amused when i mentioned it today.

He did however say he would like to implement that project somewhere in the future.
Which project was that? I'm not aware of it.

·
User Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No he is an external examiner so can have no involvement in LJMU at all. Jeremy Gold was also an external examiner.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Brunwick Quay was finally rejected by the British government in the form of Ruth Kelly, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. I'll bet Simpo won't be ruling out building anything anywhere in Britain as a result...

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Brunwick Quay was finally rejected by the British government in the form of Ruth Kelly, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. I'll bet Simpo won't be ruling out building anything anywhere in Britain as a result...
Let's not get sidetracked now, the council rejected BQ on the grounds that it conflicted with the Unitary Development Plan for the area, specifically, the provision of housing. It was rejected at the appeal stage on heritage grounds(views of the cathedral) after EH had become involved. I'm inclined to think you would've mentioned which party was in governance in the city had this appalling decision to reject been taken under Labour. Of course it was a Lib-Dem administration. I noticed you recently compared favourably the tenure of Storey to Joe Anderson, in particular job creation. Well, let's examine that, Storey was in office during the biggest property and credit boom in decades, yet nearly 80% of employment growth was in the public sector, this down to the Labour government's investment in health and education. Anderson has been in charge during the worst cuts in public funding ever seen, yet has managed to see a net increase in employment grwth of 6,000 jobs in two years, almost all in the private sector this rate of growth easily outstrips that seen under Storey. :cheers:

Never mind, Awayo, you're always good for a chuckle I'll say that. Anyone who mentions the Liver Bird and Michelangelo's David in the same sentence has to have a sense of humour :lol: Btw, there isn't a scaled up version of the David in Florence, both copies are the same size as the original. A supersized version of an emaciated chicken(Liver Bird) no thanks. :cheers:

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
I don't have much of an idea of what you are on about this time, Goldie, but it may be worth pointing out (again, and as if anyone's interested) that I am not a supporter of the Liberal Democrats.

And as for Ruth Kelly's affiliation, I think Opus Dei is very misunderstood. :uh:

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Let's not get sidetracked now, the council rejected BQ on the grounds that it conflicted with the Unitary Development Plan for the area, specifically, the provision of housing. It was rejected at the appeal stage on heritage grounds(views of the cathedral) after EH had become involved. I'm inclined to think you would've mentioned which party was in governance in the city had this appalling decision to reject been taken under Labour. Of course it was a Lib-Dem administration. I noticed you recently compared favourably the tenure of Storey to Joe Anderson, in particular job creation. Well, let's examine that, Storey was in office during the biggest property and credit boom in decades, yet nearly 80% of employment growth was in the public sector, this down to the Labour government's investment in health and education. Anderson has been in charge during the worst cuts in public funding ever seen, yet has managed to see a net increase in employment grwth of 6,000 jobs in two years, almost all in the private sector this rate of growth easily outstrips that seen under Storey. :cheers:

Never mind, Awayo, you're always good for a chuckle I'll say that. Anyone who mentions the Liver Bird and Michelangelo's David in the same sentence has to have a sense of humour :lol: Btw, there isn't a scaled up version of the David in Florence, both copies are the same size as the original. A supersized version of an emaciated chicken(Liver Bird) no thanks. :cheers:
He could even be Mike Storey.:)

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Oi, Westie! Since you're done with uni now, fancy helping me complete my latest assignment? :lol:

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
On the subject of Brunswick Quay I met a long term resident of South Ferry Quay a couple of years ago who informed me that she and her neighbours had fought a long grassroots campaign against Brunswick Quay. You can talk about NIMBYism and I am sure she probably didn't want to be overshadowed by the tallest building in the UK outside of London however on speaking to her I could tell that she believed that a very tall tower was wrong for that site. Maybe in the end she was right. As a patriotic (metro) Liverpudlian I would have been delighted to see such a large and impressive modern building rise in the city, mostly pour la gloire and was right pee'd off when BQ was knocked back. But planning committees and Whitehall departments don't make decisions for my benefit. Not yet anyway...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
On the subject of Brunswick Quay I met a long term resident of South Ferry Quay a couple of years ago who informed me that she and her neighbours had fought a long grassroots campaign against Brunswick Quay. You can talk about NIMBYism and I am sure she probably didn't want to be overshadowed by the tallest building in the UK outside of London however on speaking to her I could tell that she believed that a very tall tower was wrong for that site. Maybe in the end she was right. As a patriotic (metro) Liverpudlian I would have been delighted to see such a large and impressive modern building rise in the city, mostly pour la gloire and was right pee'd off when BQ was knocked back. But planning committees and Whitehall departments don't make decisions for my benefit. Not yet anyway...

Anyway, that block lacked balconies and was to be stuffed with pokey little flats and everyone in them would want to move out when they discovered there was nowhere to put anything, noise from neighbours, nowhere to smoke since the windows wouldn't open properly, nowhere to dry clothes and they would then be even more upset to find out that their flat actually lost value every single day after they bought it since most other people are not so stupid or naive as to buy into nasty developments.

It was a BAD IDEA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts