Skyscraper City Forum banner

what afl team?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Its no biggie, its just afl.:bash: I live in Sydney and pretty close to Aussie Stadium/SCG, and following the logic of one city-one team concept of football (REAL football:)) and rugby, I suppose the swans:eek:hno:

·
Australian EU in London!
908 Posts
Although I may be a Melburnian now, I will always support the Sydney Swans :banana:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
that afl supporter numbers chart is a bit silly because it has very little guidance of the 'real' support for each club. For example the only reason why Sydney has so many is that it is the biggest city. If you surveyed the average Sydneysider they probably wouldnt care about AFL but would say the Swans because they simply live there. They would probably never have been or ever will go to a game, or buy any merchandise. The same would apply with Brisbane. The other clubs estimates would probably equate to average club match attendances though. And go Port Adelaide (magpie power)

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Membership is probably more relevant than just the number of people willing to say who they barrack for.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Laughable how you could say the Swans are the most followed team. Oddly they don't get 30,000 a match in Sydney, for a city with 5 million. Really they should have a waiting list and sell out Homebush for each and every match.

As for Carlton, funny but just about everywhere you work in Melbourne the vast majority of people I come across are Blues supporters. Maybe there are a lot of umemployed Collingwood and Essendon supporters because you just don't seem to come across them in the city.

The figure for Melbourne footy side sounds about right. I think I have met about 2 Melbourne supporters in my life and I work in the damn city! On top of this, a fella I used to work with played under 19s and seconds for the D's and EVEN he supported Carlton! He couldn't stand the club, reckons it was run by *******.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Laughable how you could say the Swans are the most followed team. Oddly they don't get 30,000 a match in Sydney, for a city with 5 million. Really they should have a waiting list and sell out Homebush for each and every match.

As for Carlton, funny but just about everywhere you work in Melbourne the vast majority of people I come across are Blues supporters. Maybe there are a lot of umemployed Collingwood and Essendon supporters because you just don't seem to come across them in the city.

The figure for Melbourne footy side sounds about right. I think I have met about 2 Melbourne supporters in my life and I work in the damn city! On top of this, a fella I used to work with played under 19s and seconds for the D's and EVEN he supported Carlton! He couldn't stand the club, reckons it was run by *******.
Insightful as always Bob. I can't wait to see the sports headlines tomorrow, Melbourne FC run by *******!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts