SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which suburbs have the best built environment? What are the most progressive? What are the most culturally diverse? Which are densifying the most?

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not necessarily thinking about moving to Atlanta, but I am trying to gauge what areas would be the best for me if I would happen to get a good job offer down there. North Carolina, Virginia,and Georgia seem to be my favorite states in the South. When I was in Atlanta about 4 years ago I was impressed with Midtown/Downtown, and the skyline. The city also has so many amentities, a good climate, rapid growth, its near the mountains, lakes, the ocean, and has many trees and rolling hills. I know it lacks density, but all of the infill projects going on will improve that. Downtown/Midtown is already pretty dense anyway.

If I ever moved to Atlanta, I would like to live within the I-285 perimeter.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Marietta.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Considering much of Atlanta's intown neighborhoods are suburban in nature - being inner-ring neighborhoods, there is plenty to choose. But speaking of the outer Perimeter suburbs - Roswell, Marietta, Smyrna & Norcross can be interesting. Roswell as a whole is surprisingly respectabable - meaning that that the government is responsible by building additional greenspace, sidewalks & making some attempt at controlling sprawl. Attempting of course - but not succeeding. Further out - I would consider Newnan if I was going to live in a small town, lovely historic town - despite the sprawl.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^ Don't quite understand - so you prefer Lithonia or Candler Rd over Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, College Park or the new urbanist development in the Chattahoochee Hills Country?

Just curious is all...

·
Registered
435 Posts
^^Yeah, along with Boldercrest, Redan Rd, Wesley Ch, and Memorial Dr.
Dont Like "Alpharetta or Sandy Springs" too much, but i guess its all a matter of preference. If he wants new Urbanism theres plenty at Glenwood. And the older historic areas like East Atlanta, Kirkwood, and Edgewood are all begining to Gentrify really nice, as expected.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Duluth, Lawrenceville, Snellville, Smyrna, Redan, Peachtree City-- are all affluent and nice to live in. I wouldn't recommend Marietta.--Even though it has a lot of nice mid sized skyscrapers.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Doesn't Dekalb county have a high crime rate? Further south Morrow is nice along with Jonesboro, Griffin, and McDonough.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^ Because much of Dekalb Co, as well as central Fulton & Clayton does have a high crime rate.

It also doesn't help that the tv gossip news programs are regularly parked in poor parts of those counties waiting for some poor grieving mother to show on tv. Local news does make it a sick spectacle.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well i guess the influx of many upper income people and Gentrification will solve all that in years to come. Its working in East Atlanta.

·
Registered
435 Posts
And NO, it doesnt have a high crime rate. There arent many areas in the county that are really "blighted" so to speak. Ive lived in Areas all over the East and West side's my ENTIRE life, and never had an issue wih crime. But i guess many are better off out in Roswel, Alpharetta, and Gwentt, any way. Its better for us people down here.+

·
Registered
435 Posts
TheBrad said:
^ Because much of Dekalb Co, as well as central Fulton & Clayton does have a high crime rate.
DeKalb Co.=South DeKalb, Buford Hwy
Central Fulton= All of the REAl city of Atlanta. E. Point
Clayton County= Hell, Clayton County

·
Registered
626 Posts
I prefer either Decatur (if you like older homes) or Dunwoody (if you have money to afford it). MARTA goes right to Perimeter Mall, and it just seems like a nice place to live.

There are some rough areas around Decatur, but they can be avoided. I like Toco Hills (don't know if that's considered Decatur or Atlanta, though).

·
Registered
626 Posts
macon4ever said:
Doesn't Dekalb county have a high crime rate? Further south Morrow is nice along with Jonesboro, Griffin, and McDonough.
When I lived in Atlanta, and sold real estate, south metro seemed like a totally different place than the north. I like Jonesboro, but it felt more like a small southern city, or suburban Augusta, than being a few miles south of downtown Atlanta.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts