SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm attending McMaster this upcoming fall and I was wondering as to what are some of the places in Hamilton that are accessible from the campus and worth visiting. Those places can be anything....restaurants, pubs, nightclubs, waterfront park/beaches, museums, etc. Living in Mississauga, I rue the fact that our waterfront is so poorly developed so I'm definitely hoping that Hamilton is better off atleast in that respect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys. I'm attending McMaster this upcoming fall and I was wondering as to what are some of the places in Hamilton that are accessible from the campus and worth visiting. Those places can be anything....restaurants, pubs, nightclubs, waterfront park/beaches, museums, etc. Living in Mississauga, I rue the fact that our waterfront is so poorly developed so I'm definitely hoping that Hamilton is better off atleast in that respect.
Here's a list of attractions to check out here in town:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attractions_in_Hamilton,_Ontario

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Well SSC isn't behaving nicely for me lately so I'll try this again.....

Lemme guess.....you’re taking business at McMaster?

You'll likely be spending most of the time at Westdale and Hess Village. Westdale is a little village outside of McMaster University, has a few pubs, Second Cup, Timmies, cafes, subway, etc. Hess Village is where all the clubs are at, an Entertainment district.

For waterfront parks go to Bayfront Park, which is at the west end of the Harbour, it stretches from Pier 8 to Cootes Paradise, which is next to McMaster. For beaches and volleyball and stuff like that go to Hamilton Beach, which is way over the other side of the City at the East side by Confederation Park. There's Hutch's, pools, Go Kart, a Beach trail, Lake Ontario, volleyball, restaurant, etc.

Don't forget being a McMaster student you get free public transit. Just flash your student card to an HSR driver and you will be able to travel anywhere in Hamilton for free. I believe in 2010 McMaster students will be able to travel throughout the GTA for free with Presto, not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm....thanks for the info. From the sounds of it, Hamilton sounds like a very cool place, despite what the general populace here in the GTA would tell you. Also good to hear about that free "Presto" thing...did not know that at all.

And oh yeah, I'm taking Engineering, not Business :D

·
____
1,073 Posts
Mac students pretty much hang out in Westdale. Also, Locke Street South is an up and coming shopping area and the arts district on James North has an art crawl on the second Friday of each month.

If you like cities though, Hamilton is a great place to explore. Pretty much the whole lower city is full of cool urban neighbourhoods, ranging from the spectacular to the gritty. Check out the Hamilton neighbourhood tours thread in my signature, I've posted about 10 or 11 neighbourhoods in it so far, with many more to come.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Don't forget being a McMaster student you get free public transit. Just flash your student card to an HSR driver and you will be able to travel anywhere in Hamilton for free. I believe in 2010 McMaster students will be able to travel throughout the GTA for free with Presto, not 100% sure though.
Wow. While in York Region, post-secondary students get NO discount from the highest fares in the GTA :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts