SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The U.S. is blessed with a innumerable amount of cities, across a varied geography. Within each city there are central business districts or downtowns, that have an assortment buildings, structures, features, and other qualities.

In the celebration of America's downtowns, tell us which downtowns bring the most delight to you or the ones you that are you favorite. Explain what you love about them (e.g.: density, setting, skyline, activities, and so forth) Also, if you have any pictures or links, feel free to post them.

·
Registered
700 Posts
New York: Great buildings, lots of activity
San Francisco: Very beautiful and interesting
Seattle: Very nice skyline
Portland: Very nice, lots of greenery
Chicago: Great buildings, rapidly changing

·
Banned
757 Posts
My two fav by far are NYC and Chi.......of the cities I have been nothing else is close......I have never been to SanFran I here its pretty cool

Other than those....Milw has a charming and revitalizing downtown....though you can tell it has been neglected in the past.

St. Louis DT was kind of cool.....but it seems to really kind of go dead at night

It has been awhile since I have been in LA....its DT seemed surprisingly small for such a large and important city

From pic DT philly looks cool....I have never been to Philly

also boston not too bad but small

One that kind of breaks my heart is Detroit....it has some awesome buildings...now it has been 4 years since I have been in Detroit so maybe it has started to change.....but it appeared so grand yet so neglected

·
Registered
385 Posts
NYC-my hometown and the new building where the World Trade Centers were will be the tallest building in the world
Chicago-nice downtown

Downtown NYC

Midtown NYC(my favorite part of NYC)

View of part of midtown from Empire State Building

Times Square from Empire State Building

·
Registered
824 Posts
Manhattan (hands down)
San Francisco (cable cars, shopping, great views)
Chicago (the loop)
Portland, OR (small but nice)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not going to talk about the big cities like Chicago, NY, LA, SF.

For the smaller big cities, I really liked downtown Pittsburgh. A very "alive" downtown with still a lot of retail left. Also had that dense "downtown" feel to it, too.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts