·
Hi
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For me,

First of all:

Favorite

-Nice, caring, down to earth people.
-A lot of lakes. (At least in Wisconsin and Minnesota, which are 1st and 2nd in amount of lakes in the continental US respectively)

Least Favorite
-Although nice and caring, people are a bit provincial (at least compared to the east coast and northeast... this goes for any and every city in the midwest, pretty much.
-The diversity doesn't even compare to the east coast or the north east (especially the east coast). There are high hispanic and black populations in the bigger cities, but besides that there really isnt much diversity...
-Humidity. Okay, it's not Miami, I probably should not be complaining, but it's pretty bad.
-It's pretty socially consevative. This is one thing I hate. Still, the only true area where it's fairly liberal outside of big cities is the Northeast. Still, outside of a few cities, liberal politics are highly union-based in the midwest. It's nowhere near as socially conservative as the "3rd world states" full of trodolytes like Oklahoma, though...
-Still pretty regressive. A couple cities are coming out of it, and Chicago doesn't have this problem, but it looks to be just a couple cities in both the short and long run. You have to admit it: If the midwest wants to get better, it'll have to mainly use people from the midwest. The desire to live in the midwest just isn't that high.
-WINTER. Although some midwestern states don't have it as bad as Wisconsin.
-It can be a pain being literally right in the middle, far away from both oceans.
-Bugs. The midwest probably has the worst bug problem during the summer, for the US.

I'll edit more in as I think. There have to be a lot more things I like about the Midwest.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The Good :

Its cheap as hell and down to earth

The Bad :

-All of the cities are losing population and struggling to keep population and regain status (not in their prime)
-Its farking cold
-The terrain in general isnt anything to speak of
-The religion rules society BS (which is everywhere I guess)

ETC

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Pros- good place to find a job.
Within 4 hours to all major cities of the contiental US.
Lakes...plenty of water!
Sledding

I dont know if this is good or bad.
4 seasons.
Corn + Wheat everywhere.
Not that many Bush worshipers
Some Natural disasters.
once you leave the cities, you see suburbs and sprawls, and then Farms..
few other race beside white outside of metro areas

Cons- Many major cities in the Midwest are dying.
Not that Many national parks.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I too like being close to a lot of major cities...from Indy you can be in Kansas City, Atlanta, Toronto, Pittsburgh, (to name a few) in 8 hours!

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
The Good:

Affordability-- I currently live in a kick-ass apartment that I wouldn't even be able to dream of on the coasts, and the quality is top-notch.

Authenticity-- I am lucky to live in a very original city that isn't pretentious. It is what it is and it makes no apologies for it. The people are soulful and storied. The history here is incredible.

Accessibility-- I have all the amenities I demand in urban living, yet I have easy access to them, which is not as possible in many other places, either due to crowds or cost.

Hybrid Location-- Within a day's drive are the Great Lakes, Appalachia, the East Coast, the Wild West and the Old South. How many places can you really say that about?

The Bad:

Isolation-- The nearest major city is 4.5 hours away.

Negative Perceptions-- So misunderstood, underappreciated and overlooked (although this can also be a good thing).

Sprawl-- There is an awful lot of suburban schlock in the Midwest.

Close proximity to the Conservative Right-- Despite being insulated in one of the bluest cities in the country, it doesn't take long to get to the Red Sea.

All in all, the Midwest rules.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Positives:
I live in a city.
It's not the biggest or the smallest.
I have diverse people around me.
I'm making excellent money.
I'm getting a strong education.
I like the nati's terrain.
Negatives:
East Coast and West Coast folk who think that the country stops once you leave their borders. No disrespect to NY or LA but I don't give a fock.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Badgers77 said:
-Although nice and caring, people are a bit provincial (at least compared to the east coast and northeast... this goes for any and every city in the midwest, pretty much.
provincial fucks exist everywhere, and i'd say the east coast has more than its fair share, at least from my experiences.

Badgers77 said:
-The diversity doesn't even compare to the east coast or the north east (especially the east coast). There are high hispanic and black populations in the bigger cities, but besides that there really isnt much diversity...
the diversity in chicago actually does compare to the east coast, but i will grant you that chicago is an anomaly.

Badgers77 said:
-Humidity. Okay, it's not Miami, I probably should not be complaining, but it's pretty bad.
yep. summertime humidity can get horrendously oppressive. the humidity often times ruins summer for me.

Badgers77 said:
-It's pretty socially consevative. This is one thing I hate. Still, the only true area where it's fairly liberal outside of big cities is the Northeast. Still, outside of a few cities, liberal politics are highly union-based in the midwest. It's nowhere near as socially conservative as the "3rd world states" full of trodolytes like Oklahoma, though...
i know i live in the chicago bubble, but this place is anything but socially conservative.

Badgers77 said:
-Still pretty regressive. A couple cities are coming out of it, and Chicago doesn't have this problem, but it looks to be just a couple cities in both the short and long run. You have to admit it: If the midwest wants to get better, it'll have to mainly use people from the midwest. The desire to live in the midwest just isn't that high.
chicago is stronger today than it has been in over 5 decades. this place is raging back in a big way. chicago brings in new comers all the time, from around the country and even from around the world. this is a global city.

Badgers77 said:
-Bugs. The midwest probably has the worst bug problem during the summer, for the US.
bugs can get truly terrible in the midwest, but living in the city, we have roaches and centipedes instead of mosquitos and wasps.

my dislikes about the midwest:
lack of mountains
summer humidity
too many corn fields

·
Fresh Coast
1,513 Posts
Good
-The fact that we can witness an entire region of cities reinvent themselves.
-The Grit. Industrial beauty.
-We have Chicago, and number two ain't that bad. :)
-Cost of living (in comparison to west and east coast).
-Mentality.
-Education. Both K-12 and secondary.

The Bad
-Lack of a strong and efficient regional public transit.
-The many skeletons left from the rust-belt era.
-Decisons from decades past to "fix" our cities (bulldozing, sloppy architecture)
-The sprawl.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
cwilson758 said:
I too like being close to a lot of major cities...from Indy you can be in Kansas City, Atlanta, Toronto, Pittsburgh, (to name a few) in 8 hours!

Yeah that is definately a strong point....id add that too. Living in other regions can have you a little isolated.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Good

Chicago.
The Great Lakes.
Whether it's declined or not, an agro-industrial powerhouse that will always remain (and perhaps save this country some day).
Detroit's comeback.
Minneapolis--a forward-looking city that, for once, isn't a midwestern rustbelt horror story.

Bad

The damn conservative ********.
Sprawl (all regions have it, however. Check out DC's suburbs!).
Downstate Illinois (sorry, but I had to get personal).
The midwestern rustbelt horror story and our boarded-up downtown buildings.
Too many fat people.

·
Hi
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of cities have "board up buildings." Ever been to Baltimore? It's horrible. (I really like the city a lot itself though)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
**Favorite:
Spring, Summer and Fall
Endless fields and big skies
Flowering trees
Football on a crisp, colorful fall day
Big cities that are liveable
Backroad driving through small towns
Big 10 campuses
Tenderoin Sandwiches and Blackberry Pie
Hidden waterfalls
The Quiet Knowledge that the Midwest is the best place to live in the world...

Least Favorite
Forty years of terrible urban planning (which has retreated, but not given up...)
Car-centered cities (save Chicago and a few small towns)
Conservatism and a lack of ethnic, linguistic and cultural diversity
Rural poverty--and no one seems to give a damn
Historical amnesia
Fast Food cities (Indiana--Im talking about YOU!)
The Stubborn Belief that the Midwest is the Best Place to Live in the World

·
Registered
352 Posts
Badgers77 said:
I think the Northeast US is probably the best place in the US
There really isn't anywhere in the US that's better than anywhere else. You give and you take no matter where you live.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only real complaint I have about the midwest is the that most of it is so flat. Sure there are exceptions (and some very scenic ones like Southern Indiana and the Wisconsin "Driftless Area", and perhaps areas of river bluffs), but the region is pretty durn flat.

Other than that I really do like this part of the US, or at least the parts of the Midwest I am familiar with. Though rural it is actually quite urban, too, with older cities with lots of charcter, so both city and country are here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hopelessy Midwestern

Here is a song by the Michigan folksinger Joel Mabus that pretty much sums up alot of the good & bad ...gently polking fun at stereotypes, while embracing them a bit too... (they lyrics might be a bit dated for younger readers)

Hoplelessy Midwestern

If you live life in the middle and not on the edge,
You're hopelessly Midwestern.
If a big weekend means cutting the hedge,
If you shop at Sears and drink a lot of iced tea,
Love to dance the Polka and watch TV.
Then the verdict is in and the jury agrees.

Hopelessly Midwestern, corn-fed boys and girls.
Hopelessly Midwestern. square pegs in a big round world.
Well, you can go from sea to shining sea,
But right in the middle, that's the place for me.
And if you like it like that then you're a lot like me,

If you like all of your roads, narrow and straight,
And if you think sushi looks a lot like bait.
If you like your potatoes mashed and your chicken fried,
Your green beans boiled and your apples pied.
And you ain't trusted nothin' since Rock Hudson died.

If annual rainfall is a real hot topic,
And if the Pocono Mountains sounds kind of exotic,
If you like Gerald Ford just as much as Betty,
And a big old corn field looks mighty pretty.
And you'd rather go to hell then to New York City.

·
Registered
562 Posts
How are you all defining the Midwest? I tend to group myself, as a Chicagoan, more with the Great Lakes states and a few that border them than those west of the Mississippi River. So say these: Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri, though that last one is something of an oddity, as someone mentioned here, as it straddles several regions. Once you get to Nebraska or Kansas or the Dakotas, you're solidly in the Plains states, culturally and historically very, very different.

So of these states, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri went for Kerry in 2004 and Ohio went to Bush by a very small margin. Indiana is the only truly red state in the Midwest. SO EVERYONE STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT ALL THE REPUBLICANS HERE. Of course there are a lot outside our cities; that's called the way the world works. Remember, about 45% of CALIFORNIANS voted for Bush. There are no politically homogeneous regions, or states, in the union (although I suppose Utah comes close).

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the people and our seasons and dislike that I'm far away from so many nice cities and that the people in those faraway nice cities don't like us.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts