SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,542 Posts
Love it. Always have a great time when I go for a walk round town for a day out.

There are tons of grand, historic buildings, and the setting of the city is dramatic and fascinating.

There are parallels with my home city of Hull in many ways in that it is a beautiful treasure trove of history with fantastic assets and great potential that has for too long been stifled by a lack of investment and ignorant perceptions from the rest of the country.

·
Registered
30,487 Posts
I think it is a good city with a lot of potential. I always imagine that if Bradford had enough investment, it could be like Sheffield with good cultural attractions and high quality public spaces. There are already many attractions in Bradford but they haven't had all that much investment since they opened.

I suppose Bradford loses out on the Objective 1 EU funding being in West Yorkshire where Leeds skews the figures significantly.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Great architecture, great curries and great media museum. Some excellent history in many of its suburbs. Other than that, I tend to avoid Bradford's urban core like the plague. Very run down and rough and personally I think you can throw all the money at it in the world and it will never change.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
I love Ilkley - beautiful town.

·
6,903 Posts
Are you asking about; Bradford - the Metropolitan District, or, Bradford - the city at the centre of the district. They are fairly distinctively different subjects to me.

·
( rolling pin )
2,015 Posts
Just went to Manningham park and the galery this weekend and I've not been there for several years so it was amazing to see the transformation. It was very much a park that had 'seen better days' and now it is fantastic! And as a result it was very well used too. I was very impressed.
:)

However I was with a group of friends and a copule of us had moved our of Bradford several years ago and so we both knew lots of people who were devoted to Bradford and born there and had roots there goimng back generations but had all now moved out of Bradford.

I like Bradford much more now that I don't have to live there. But I think from recent visits it has more promise then people give it credit for but it really has a long way to go before it will be respected.

I don't consider the outer areas such as Haworth, Bingley, Ilkley etc as Bradford, in fact I think it is a shame they are connected with the city rather then just being part of West Yorkshire. It would be better for those areas to not be connected with the 'Bradford' word. Sorry.

·
*-City Of Bradford-*
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you asking about; Bradford - the Metropolitan District, or, Bradford - the city at the centre of the district. They are fairly distinctively different subjects to me.
Well I prefer you talk about the city.

Just went to Manningham park and the galery this weekend and I've not been there for several years so it was amazing to see the transformation. It was very much a park that had 'seen better days' and now it is fantastic! And as a result it was very well used too. I was very impressed.
:)
It's a superb park and that is shown by its achievement a few years ago when it was named best park in the whole of England. This park is key for helping the cities mostly white population mix with the cities ethnic minorites. If their is one thing that can help ethnic segregation, its open spaces and Lister Park does a great job.

However I was with a group of friends and a copule of us had moved our of Bradford several years ago and so we both knew lots of people who were devoted to Bradford and born there and had roots there goimng back generations but had all now moved out of Bradford.
I'm still here. And I will be here for a while even if I have to move for Uni.

I like Bradford much more now that I don't have to live there. But I think from recent visits it has more promise then people give it credit for but it really has a long way to go before it will be respected.
I blame the Media and the credit crunch.

I don't consider the outer areas such as Haworth, Bingley, Ilkley etc as Bradford, in fact I think it is a shame they are connected with the city rather then just being part of West Yorkshire. It would be better for those areas to not be connected with the 'Bradford' word. Sorry.
Howarth is strongely thought to be in Bradford, however the likes a Keighley are not and thats a good thing. Bingley is kind of in the middle, some people think it is some people think it isn't. People don't believe the facts, they just make up their own opinions.

·
Silent but deadly
1,127 Posts
Love it. Always have a great time when I go for a walk round town for a day out.

There are tons of grand, historic buildings, and the setting of the city is dramatic and fascinating.

There are parallels with my home city of Hull in many ways in that it is a beautiful treasure trove of history with fantastic assets and great potential that has for too long been stifled by a lack of investment and ignorant perceptions from the rest of the country.
Over the past year I've made fleeting visits to both Bradford and Hull, both cities which have not enjoyed the best of reputations. Being based in the south, I'd visited neither city centre for many years.

Of the two I was very pleasantly surprised by Hull and got the impression of somewhere that was starting to take a pride in itself. Sadly, Bradford was every bit as depressing as I was perhaps expecting. The potential is there but while every other large city has kicked on significantly in the last 20 years, Bradford's improvements seem rather token.

An ignorant perception maybe, but my perception nonetheless.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
...Of the two I was very pleasantly surprised by Hull and got the impression of somewhere that was starting to take a pride in itself. Sadly, Bradford was every bit as depressing as I was perhaps expecting. The potential is there but while every other large city has kicked on significantly in the last 20 years, Bradford's improvements seem rather token...
I'm sorry to say that I am forced to agree with that assessment. While it is invidious to compare one place with another, there is definitely the feel in many of the region's major towns and cities that things are moving, the recession notwithstanding. While Leeds and Sheffield clearly lead the pack, other places I've been to this year include Barnsley, Doncaster, Hull and Wakefield, and they all have a bit of a buzz about them. Even Rotherham is starting to see a shift with the opening up of the waterfront.

Yet Bradford feels curiously subdued, even depressed and I'm at a loss to pinpoint why that should be. So many of the elements of a successful city are there; new developments are taking place, it has some fantastic architecture, the Media Museum, the university, the heartwarming resurrection of Lister Mills, and the lovely little Alhambra Theatre (which I prefer to the Grand in Leeds).

And yet my heart sinks when I go to Bradford and I think it's because I don't feel its people are proud of their city (although Bradford's SSC forumers do a sterling job promoting the place). I suspect that this is down to a failure in the city's political leadership to engage people and to make them believe that change could, and would, happen.

This political vacuum is nothing to do with the party that's in power because it seems to be there whichever administration is running the show. I'm pinning my hopes on the city centre park and mirror pool project. It should show people that Bradford really is on the move, as well as providing a splendid setting for the City Hall.

·
Registered
30,487 Posts
Well although those places aren't physically connected to the main urban area of Leeds, they're very much part of the economic area. Otley and Wetherby are essentially Leeds commuter townships which without greenbelt, would probably be linked to the main urban area by now.

On the other hand, many of the towns in Bradford are less connected to the main urban part of Bradford than they are Leeds. As I said before, Ilkley is more of a Leeds commuter town than Bradford.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts