Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm open to any suggestion as to what we can do to show our displeasure with these high and ridiculous gas prices. Boycotting going to gas stations is out b/c one way or another, we will need gas @ some point, and then voicing our displeasure to our elected officials thru emails and contacting them won't work either b/c they don't listen to us right now, on top of that, a lot of them are in bed with the big oil companies and OPEC. I'm thinking, if we do like the Lations did recently and form massive protests, especially staging massive protest marches in Washington and staging them in our state capital cities, maybe our elected officials will take notice and force them to do something about it. I'm open to try anything that may be a reasonable suggestion @ this point, b/c I'm fed up w/this madness and ready to do something about it. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess people should stop driving less and get bicycles or just do public transportation if your city/town has a good one. Maybe people should ride scooters! JK.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Some things that are moderately effective from my own experience:

• Pay with a rewards credit card. For example, Citi Dividend Platinum Select gives a flat 5% back, no minimum balance/monthly charges requirement.
  • Lay off the gas. It really does work. MPG drops precipitously above 60mph.
  • Don't "jackrabbit" out of green lights. Once again, this really does work. Accelerating smoothly and steadily out of a light is probably the biggest bang for the buck in improving mileage. Mine went from about 25 to as high as 32 in the summer. Who cares if you piss the guy off behind you - you're saving him gas too, and even if he rear-ends you, it's his fault.
  • Learn the gas station/store promotions.
  • Certain areas of a city will tend to be consistently cheaper. Learn where they are and pay attention to trends. Consolidate/tailor trips around these locations.
  • Don't buy Indian Reservation gas, despite the claims it's cheaper and non-Middle Eastern. It's generally higher in sulphur, and will result in lower mileage offsetting any perceived gains. I recently took my car in to have a stutter in the engine looked at, the first thing the tech asked me was "do you buy reservation gas?"
  • Don't drive a vehicle that's bigger than what you reasonably need. I have no sympathy for SUV drivers who cry about gas prices, your driving habits are largely to blame for the prices/demand in the first place. People like that make me want it to rise higher yet - I figured I could trim and skimp all the way up to $11/gallon gas. Can you?

That's my $0.03.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
^That would make a great satire, if it really was the policy for reducing obesity. :D

Like everyone has known all along, this just proves the need for mass transit. Metros that have them established are ahead of the game. Metro areas still lagging in mass transit need to get on it. Things won't get better with regards to traffic.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Really all we can do is try to drive less and thats about it i think people need to start some kind of movement already these prices are this high for no real reason its complete profit just look at what the #1 company with the highest profits was an oil company!! Really all this is going to hit our economy in the face. Higher fuel prices means more expensive airlines, travel, shipping, etc. People will start to buy less because more income goes into gas and at this rate i think by sept it will be $4.00 a gallon and people wont go buying the extra stuff if they have no money so its gonna be sad all that from profit.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I noticed a recent spike. I thought I was being jipped...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I was listening to the news today and they said that we can expect $4 a gallon this Summer. Enjoy your own city! Fly! Don't drive!

·
Journeyman
16,933 Posts
Walk to work. That'll show 'em.

ps, welcome to the rest of your life. It'll probably come down during winters but gas will never be as cheap again.

·
Registered
700 Posts
1) Government to stop taxing people on gas
2) Use an alternative form of transport
3) Never use more gas than you need.

·
Registered
700 Posts
mhays said:
Walk to work. That'll show 'em.

ps, welcome to the rest of your life. It'll probably come down during winters but gas will never be as cheap again.
Unfortunately, it ain't that easy. Especially in America's sprawling metropolises.

·
Registered
700 Posts
mhays said:
Gax taxes are a user fee on driving. What's more fair than that?
Because people won't give up their cars soon and make people angrier. A better solution is for the government to lower taxes on businesses who are more environmentally friendly.

·
Banned
757 Posts
Don't Drive
Use Public transportation
Walk
Ride a Bike
I live in Chicago, I own an Expedition...yes a giant SUV.....you know how many miles I have put on it since last august.....about 300.....approx 1 full tank.
I walk to the store, and the gym, I take PT if I am going downtown, and now that that the weather is getting nice I'll be biking everywhere.

I don't have any sympathy for people who bitch about the cost either......deal w/ it....that is don't use it.....and get used to living as such. There is no god-given right to cheap gas ....

demand in developing countries is going to spiral upward ( esp China, India) and price have no real reason to ever come down substantially again.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
The irony is that gas may have an adverse effect on EVERYTHING:
  • Larger school corporations may switch to nine-hour school days four days a week because gas is expensive for school buses.
  • Suburbanites will gentrify dilapidated areas of cities because they cant afford to drive 20 miles each way each day.
  • The prices of Airline tickets and such will go up.
  • The number of obese people would drastically fall as more people walk to where they need to go.
  • Public transportation will be more widespread in cities where it already isn't.
  • SUV's and other gas guzzlers will become less widespread and hybrid cars will become more widespread. The price of new cars will go down as there is less demand for them.
  • Public paths and trails will become clogged with bicyclists and pedestrians and more will need to be established.
Maybe all of this is for the better, though. There will be positive aspects, too.

Does anyone even remember the last time gas was less than $2 a gallon? I dont.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts