Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
1. Density/proximity

2. Uniqueness/variety

Because of the greater density, there's more of everything within a smaller radius, so that everything from stores, restaurants, offices, to friends and entertainment are more accessible. And although there certainly are exceptions, most cities tend to have more unique elements than suburbs - sometimes because architectural heritage spans many eras, and sometimes simply because more money is spent on centrally located projects because of their higher profiles.

These conditions combine to create an atmosphere of vitality and intensity that suburban areas almost always lack.

·
Premium Member
19,465 Posts
#1. Orchestral performances/opera performances by world class orchestras/opera associations.

#2. Theatre of a high calibre. Yes, you might get local theatre in the suburbs but it's rarely of the same calibre as that based in the city centre.

#3. Art galleries. These are rarely present in the suburbs.

#4. High class restaurants tend to be based in the city centre and the variety also tends to be greater.

#5. Ease of mobility in the city centre in comparison to the suburbs which allows you to enjoy more of these activities.

I could add more, but I'm bored now.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Yes, I know suburban areas, specifically America style suburbia can be boring and all, but what does the city have to make you life more enjoyable?
Life! :)

In the city you have clubs, pedestrian streets, street life, 24h stores, light, amusement parks, cinemas, parks everything you could ever want..

In the suburbs you have boring dead streets, a few trainstations and if lucky a crummy club filled with teens who got drunk at home..

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
well in miami is watching a skyscraper rising and waiting until completion it is fun for me i live in the city and the suburbs.the city is better because in the city i live in a condo on the 43th floor and a nice downtown view.but in the suburbs i live in a 2 story house wich has a boring view but more space.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The better question would be "What can you do in the suburbs that you can't do in the city?"
Can't think of one thing.
1. Send you're kids to a decent school system.
2. Buy a brand new 2,500 sq. ft. house for under $250,000.
3. Do all you're shopping under one roof.
4. Never see or speak to your neighbors.
5. See a real live cow.
6. Look like 98% of the people around you.
7. Park your car where you want, when you want, and without paying for it.
8. Leave your front door wide open and not worry about losing anything when you come home.
9. Do all your errands without leaving your car.
10. Get lost in your own neighborhood.

·
Margela Schurkel
1,938 Posts
1. Send you're kids to a decent school system.
2. Buy a brand new 2,500 sq. ft. house for under $250,000.
3. Do all you're shopping under one roof.
4. Never see or speak to your neighbors.
5. See a real live cow.
6. Look like 98% of the people around you.
7. Park your car where you want, when you want, and without paying for it.
8. Leave your front door wide open and not worry about losing anything when you come home.
9. Do all your errands without leaving your car.
10. Get lost in your own neighborhood.
1. There are also great private and public schools in cities.
8. I can't even do this in the suburbs^^

·
Gotta lite?
6,078 Posts
To be honest, I'm not anti-suburb. I do believe that for young children growing up, it can be more pleasant in the suburbs for them. Larger house (which also benefits the parents to get away from the kids), quieter and safer streets, more parks, easier sport facilities etc.

But alas, I don't have kids and personally prefer urban living. Below are some things that either I can do easier living in the city, or couldn't really do in the suburbs.

* Ease of Restaurants, cafe's and bars. I can walk to over 200 restaurants, bars and cafe's from where I live. There is not something that one can usually do in the suburbs. It certainly makes things easy, great choice and no worries about drinking

* Museums, galleries and exhibitions. Yes, of cause people in the suburbs can visit museums, but they must come to the city for that, and it becomes a day out. I can (and do) pop into museums and galleries after work or whenever I feel the urge. This is city life.

* Walk to the cinema. There are plenty of cinema's in the suburbs and some people may actually be close enough to walk though most will need a car. Not here. As well as much more choice in main stream cinema's, we also have a wealth of art house cinema's that is not available in most suburbs. Add to the fact that here in Europe we can drink alcohol in cinema's, we also don't have to worry about driving home.

* Apartment living. Sure, it's smaller, but that means easier to clean, no lawns to mow, no hedges to trim and no roofing tiles to replace after a storm. Ease of maintenance basically. I live here and don't have to work so hard to maintain it. Of cause, you can also have an apartment in the suburbs. They do exist, but then what is the point, you may as well live in the city.

* Downtown shopping: I personally don't mind suburban malls, especially if they are architecturally attractive. But let's be honest, there is usually much more shopping and choice in the central city, that's where the flagship stores usually are, the big department stores and the greatest choice. Unless of cause you live in a really crap town where the downtown has died, but not here.

* Public transportation. Sure, some suburbs have the odd train or buses, but we have metro's, trams and plenty more, just ready for when it's that little bit too far to walk, or ride a bike.

* Central Station. When you arrive back from a trip or a holiday by train, you're almost home. No need to transfer to a bus or long commuter train, just walk out and either stroll home or a quick metro leg. Luggage too heavy, no worries, because you live close by, taxi fares are so cheap you never think twice in using them.

* Airport. Actually, these are usually out in the suburbs or metro area. However, unless you are lucky to live in a suburb close by or on a transit route, most people have to either drive to them (and find a place to park the car for a couple of weeks), but living in the city, there is always direct and fast transport links to the airport(s), which again makes things a lot easier when travelling.

Many more I can write, but maybe some other time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts