SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Skybar Mod
27,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which major (or semi-major) cities are around the same latitude as your city? If you don't know your city's latitude then you can look it up on Google Earth.

Nashville, TN.. We're right on the 36N latitude line.

Other cities that have roughly the same latitude as Nashville include..

Tangier, Morocco
Aleppo, Syria
Tokyo, Japan
Tehran, Iran
and Las Vegas, Nevada

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting idea. For Toronto:

Eugene, OR (a little to the North)
Sioux Falls, SD
Portland, ME
Toulouse, France
Florence, Italy
Ruse, Bulgaria
Sochi, Russia
Vladivostok, Russia (a little to the South)
Sapporo, Japan

You can really see the effect of ocean currents when you realize Florence is North of Vladivostok. Vladivostok is even colder than Toronto, by about 5C/10F.

·
Skybar Mod
27,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting idea. For Toronto:

Eugene, OR (a little to the North)
Sioux Falls, SD
Portland, ME
Toulouse, France
Florence, Italy
Ruse, Bulgaria
Sochi, Russia
Vladivostok, Russia (a little to the South)
Sapporo, Japan

You can really see the effect of ocean currents when you realize Florence is North of Vladivostok. Vladivostok is even colder than Toronto, by about 5C/10F.
Exactly, and it's amazing at how far north Europe is, Nashville doesn't even touch the bottom tip. We're at the same latitude as North Africa.

If we took the Gulf Stream away Europe would be frigid. Even more cold than it already is.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Linköping, Sweden is on the same latitude (58.40) as:

Tartu, Estonia (58,37)
Nizhnij Tagil, Russia (57.93)
Kristianssand, Norway (58.15)
Wick, Scotland (58.44)
Hebron, New Brunswick, Canada (58,20)
Juneau, Alaska (58,18)

today's temperature about -1 to -3 C
Hebron, New Brunswick is much further South at around 45 degrees... There's basically nothing in Canada at that lattitude.

The most Northerly major city in Canada is Edmonton, Alberta at 53,32. The closest small cities are Grande Prairie at 55,10 and Whitehorse at 60,43. Closer to Linköping's lattitude you only have small towns like Fort Chipewyan at 58,43.

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Hebron, New Brunswick is much further South at around 45 degrees... There's basically nothing in Canada at that lattitude.

The most Northerly major city in Canada is Edmonton, Alberta at 53,32. The closest small cities are Grande Prairie at 55,10 and Whitehorse at 60,43. Closer to Linköping's lattitude you only have small towns like Fort Chipewyan at 58,43.
Ok, Hebron was wrong. I first thought about mentioning Makkovik pop. 384 at 55.08 but Fort Chipewyan is even larger with pop. 1,007

Actually I was born in Piteå, North Sweden so Linköping is really south for me. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Aalborg is on the 57th N latitude

As are:

Aberdeen, Scotland and Kalmar, Sweden.

I didn´t find any other well known cities on the same latitude. Incredbile.

EDTI: well, eventually I did find a couple of other cities near the same position as Aalborg, let´s say other cities on the 57th Northern Latitude:

Göteborg, Sweden
Ventspils, Lettonia
Jaroslavl, Russia
Perm, Russia

It´s interesting to see that in Northern America (Canada) you don´t have one single city at the latitude....I had never thougth about that I lived SO far at the north :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
at 57N, that's nearly tundra in interior Canada. Very few large cities can fair well that far north.
In fact, it´s strange than in Canada it´s so cold at 57N, while here in Europe you can live without problems there. But that must be because of the Gulf Stream.

By the way, I forgot that not only Aberdeen in Scotland and Kalmar in Sweden, but also Riga is more or less at 57N and Moscow is at 56N...

If instead we are talking about longitude and not latitude, there are several cities at the same or within the same longitude as Aalborg (9,55`E). Since Germany and Italy are both straight south from Denmark, most of the cities that are at the same longitude as Aalborg are in Germany or in Italy:

Kiel, Germany (10,09´E)
Hamburg, Germany (9,58´E)
Hannover, Germany (9,45´E)
Würzburg (9,57´E)
Milano, Italy (9,10´E)
Bergamo, Italy (9,40´E)
Genova, Italy (9,10´E)
Tunis, Tunesia (10,15´E)
Oslo, Norway (10,40´E)

·
Skybar Mod
27,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In fact, it´s strange than in Canada it´s so cold at 57N, while here in Europe you can live without problems there. But that must be because of the Gulf Stream.

By the way, I forgot that not only Aberdeen in Scotland and Kalmar in Sweden, but also Riga is more or less at 57N and Moscow is at 56N...

If instead we are talking about latitude and not longitude, there are several cities at the same or within the same latitude as Aalborg (9,55`E):

Kiel, Germany (10,09´E)
Hamburg, Germany (9,58´E)
Hannover, Germany (9,45´E)
Würzburg (9,57´E)
Milano, Italy (9,10´E)
Bergamo, Italy (9,40´E)
Genova, Italy (9,10´E)
Tunis, Tunesia (10,15´E)
Oslo, Norway (10,40´E)
Actually, it's the other way around. At that latitude the climate should be an extreme humid continental with constant subzero temperatures in the winter but because of the Gulf Stream, Europe is much more mild than it should be.

And Nashville doesn't have too mant cities along the same longitude but I'll look.

·
***Alexxx***
5,311 Posts
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK

Latitude: 53.383N

Edmonton, AB
Prince George, BC
Oldenburg, Germany
Szczecin, Poland
Dublin, Ireland

There were several others but mostly Russian and Chinese which I couldn't type in lol

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Houston is at about N29º45' which is at the same latitude as

New Orleans, USA
Agadir, Morrocco (a little to the north)
Cairo, Egypt (a little to the north)
Aquaba, Jordan
Kuwait
Lhasa, Tibet/China
Chongquing, China
Shanghai, China (a little to the north)

also given Houston's longitude at W95º15' and the shape of North/South America there are not any major cities that have the same latitude as Houston although Kansas City and Veracruz, Mexico come close.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I don´t get it wrong, latitude is horisontal and longitude is vertical, isn´t that true? :D

I just see posts where some people are talking about longitude and others about latitude. It´s a little confusing.

For example: Paris, Stuttgart, Kosice, Vancouver are almost at the same latitude...

And Copenhagen, Leipzig, Chemnitz, Venezia, Rome, Lubango (Angola) are at the same longitude (12´E).

·
Master of Awesomeness!
118 Posts
Dallas at N32°50°

Latitude
- San Diego, CA
- Charleston, SC
- Hamilton, Bermuda
- Tripolis, Libya
- Tel Aviv, Isreal
- Bagdad, Iraq (at 33°)
- Nanjing, China
- Nagasaki, Japan

Longitude
- Winnipeg, Canada
- Oklahoma City
- Veracruz, Mexico

·
Liberal Minded
2,153 Posts
I would say Dublin is roughly on the same latitude as: Edmonton, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Groningen, Hamburg, Szczecin, Minsk. The are all roughly the same latitude give or take a couple of km's north or south.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.