SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Toronto, many people beleive this city is extremely American. But I disagree with anger, as the people here lack the ignorance.

Wud Montreal seem more in place in France (example, dont hurt me!)?
wud Vancouver seem more in place in Australia?
These are just examples.

·
Registered
562 Posts
^ I'm going to "disagree with anger" about your characterization of Americans being ignorant and do an online scoff at everyone who says such glib and faddy things. I very much doubt Toronto is much more liberal--which, by the way, has nothing to do with ignorance, as most people on both sides of the political spectrum really don't know what they're talking about as far as politics goes--than the major leftist cities of America.

Now, Montreal really did strike me as being a French city, though I mean that linguistically and not nationally. It is kind of an odd thing, for an American, the idea of bilingualism divided by geography; we're all kinds of lingual over here (although unfortunately most of us don't speak multiple languages), but you'll find pretty much every variety in the same city, and no non-English linguistic group dominates any state. But if you're going to find a city that really seems out of place in Canada, it would be one of the smaller provincial cities of Quebec, where they really don't speak English, or, if they do, only for the tourists.

In America, Madison, Wisconsin feels out of place for Wisconsin. Everyone who goes there from the rural areas of the state hates it, and Madisonites hate the rural parts of the state right back. Milwaukee is too far away (mentally) to make much of a difference.

You call us ignorant, and then you type "wud." Come on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
One more thought: I don't think you can really say any city feels out of place for America simply because we have a much larger variety of types of cities and places and people than smaller countries like, say, Canada, and our different people tend to be fairly well-spread-out. If you're going to find "out-of-place" cities in America, they would have to be out-of-place for their states, or possibly regions. Madison, Wisconsin, for example, while an oddball in Wisconsin, has brothers in San Francisco, Ann Arbor, Berkeley, and whatever other well-off, ultra-liberal intellectual towns you can find out there.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
I live in Toronto, many people beleive this city is extremely American. But I disagree with anger, as the people here lack the ignorance.

Here's how I interpret it; some people see Toronto as being an American-like city. However, this guy doesn't, because the people of Toronto are not, in his opinion, as ignorant as Americans.

If my interpretation is correct, all I can say is...Oh the irony!

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Why the "anger?" Everyone knows Americans are ignorant of the rest of the world, oblivious about their global footprint, and just generally not very intelligent.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
DrJoe said:
So "people here" equals Americans???
No, the "people here" equals people in Toronto. I don't understand all of the confusion over JayeTheOnly's statement. It's pretty clear. If you need any more clarification of the statement, pottebaum spells it out for you pretty well.

maechile said:
you people see "ignorance" adn "american" in a phrase and you have to attack the guy..
I don't know why you're trying to turn this around. The first post in this thread was an attack.....saying that the people of Toronto lack the ignorance of Americans.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
DrJoe said:
^ Nice rant, but he never called American's ignorant.
I live in Minneapolis, many people believe this city is extremely Canadian. But I disagree with anger, as the people here lack the ignorance.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
DrJoe said:
Nah, Minneapolis isnt nice enough. No one would consider it Canadian.
It's plenty nice, it's just not ignorant enough. There are way too many intelligent people in Minneapolis for it to be considered Canadian. It's the most literate city in the US. It couldn't possibly be Canadian. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
The Upper Midwest, without a doubt, is the world's second greatest manufacturer of dry humor. Garrison Keillor, Anti-Cheesehead, etc.

(The world's greatest manufacturers of dry humor, of course, are semi-religious Jews.)

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Having lived in both Toronto and the US, I think Toronto and Southern Ontario are quite American. The more south you go in Southern Ontario, the more American. Guelph could be Anywheresville, Michigan, St. Catharines could be in WNY.

Québec city could be in France, and Portland in Canada.

Why is almost the exact same thread done twice? I find it ignorant to assume people are ignorant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.