SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what cities you lot think can sustain an A-League team in the future?

If the NZ Knights have a similar season as last they'll get the chop (i have a feeling this will happen), so we'll defeanately need some one to replace them.

O'Neill and Lowy were in Canberra recently so i think Canberra will be the next, also heard some rumours of some businesses in Wollongong discussing getting behind a team down there.

I would like a 10 team comp in the near future, i can see it as....

Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Central Coast
Newcastle
Perth
Adelaide
Illawarra or Wollongong
Canberra
And maybe a Western Sydney team playing out of Parramatta

I would also like to see teams playing out of Townsville and the Gold Coast but the will be a while, if ever.

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
I think Canberra/ACT must be the next cab on the rank. Not sure about 2 Sydney teams, following your plan NSW would have 5/10 teams in the competition.

A Tasmanian team might be a good idea, no-one else seems to do much with Tasmania, so they may build up a good support. They could hardly go worse than NZ, average crowd, 3909.

Personally I would keep NZ, they should improve, and add ACT and Tasmania.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I do think the potential in my eyes are a team in tassie, maybe by a long shot geelong, south melbourne has gotta come back, canberra probably should get a team, west sydney prefferably marconi and probably the gold coast and wollongong. But geelong would have to get a proper square stadium first.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
I think Canberra/ACT must be the next cab on the rank. Not sure about 2 Sydney teams, following your plan NSW would have 5/10 teams in the competition.

A Tasmanian team might be a good idea, no-one else seems to do much with Tasmania, so they may build up a good support. They could hardly go worse than NZ, average crowd, 3909.

Personally I would keep NZ, they should improve, and add ACT and Tasmania.
Whats the score with Melbourne 3.7 million people and the State over 5 million people and only ONE team its a joke considering there might be 5 teams in NSW with a pop of 7 million work that out if you can.
Ah silly me, the A League HQ is in Sydney and run by a Sydney billionaire and his sidekick O'Neil also from - you guessed it Sydney!.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is what i always feared... People getting angry because the game is run by nsw people. If you wait long enough the a rich victorian might end up buying the a league. And remember victoria put in 3 bids for a different teams and only got one team so that could prove that something could be going wrong in victorian football... This could be what collapses the a league. Besides you don't see people in manchester getting upset because everything is run from london.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
^^
Isnt London 4 times the size of Manchester though?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think it's like 10 times bigger, but manchester waited a long time and they ended up hosting the champions league so who knows what the new rectangular stadium in melbourne could score itself.

·
©
9,473 Posts
auslankan said:
Whats the score with Melbourne 3.7 million people and the State over 5 million people and only ONE team its a joke considering there might be 5 teams in NSW with a pop of 7 million work that out if you can.
Ah silly me, the A League HQ is in Sydney and run by a Sydney billionaire and his sidekick O'Neil also from - you guessed it Sydney!.
Surprise surprise...................Turn this thread into a state v state or city v city war why don't you??

Anyways, i don't see Townsville getting a team anytime soon. I can't imagine them being all that popular up here. That said, Townsville & the whole of NQ for that matter, are pretty sports mad. So you never know.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr Centrepoint said:
I do think the potential in my eyes are a team in tassie, maybe by a long shot geelong, south melbourne has gotta come back, canberra probably should get a team, west sydney prefferably marconi and probably the gold coast and wollongong. But geelong would have to get a proper square stadium first.
I don't think you get the point of the A-League mate.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
auslankan said:
Ok, if you're planning on turning this into a NSW v Victoria or Sydney v Melbourne thread don't even fucking think about it, you can **** right off!

Now, let's look at the cities which have populations of over 100k....

1 Sydney, New South Wales 4,254,894
2 Melbourne, Victoria 3,634,233
3 Brisbane, Queensland 1,810,943
4 Perth, Western Australia 1,477,815
5 Adelaide, South Australia 1,129,269
6 Newcastle, New South Wales 510,885
7 Gold Coast-Tweed, Queensland/New South Wales 482,037
8 Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 324,786
9 Central Coast Region, New South Wales 304,600
10 Wollongong, New South Wales 275,883
11 Sunshine Coast, Queensland 212,864
12 Greater Hobart, Tasmania 165,761
13 Geelong, Victoria 165,761
14 Townsville, Queensland 148,767
15 Cairns, Queensland 123,408
16 Toowoomba, Queensland 119,133
17 Darwin, Northern Territory 111,300
18 Launceston, Tasmania 103,200
19 Albury-Wodonga, New South Wales/Victoria 100,278

The ones in bold currently have an A-League team.

Looking at the populations, i defeanately think the FFA should consider Gold Coast, Canberra and Illawarra/Wollongong sides because of the populations.

Also, a few people said a Tassie team. Would the population seriously get behing a team down there? It would be a huge punt.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I hope the dills organising the game in Sydney realise that to have only one team in Melbourne and Sydney will hurt the future of soccer in this country..

Some of the AFLs biggest games are the so called local derbys in Adelaide and Perth so to have only one team in Melbourne/Victoria is just plain stupid and bad planning.
So be it.
Oh and btw I wasnt trying to turn this into a state vs state thing just pointing out the facts as they stand as an interested observer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Auslankan, one day there may be 2 sides in each Sydney and Melbourne.

First though, alot of people would like to see one team, one city, until enough of the population is covered.

Sydney and Melbourne people can get to games, no worries. I think the FFA should be concentrating on getting teams to where people would potentially embrace the game but currently can't. Look at the Central Coast, the whole region got behind the Mariners earlier this year. They feel they finally have a team, it's their team.

Also, some people like the thought of one team uniting their city, i know i do. The Sydney Swans and the NSW Waratahs sure don't do it. Hopefully in the future SFC will be a team that truly unites Sydney.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think the above list showing the population of the larger cities says it all. nsw has larger coastal cities with rectangular stadiums then what victoria does. apart from geelong, cant think of where they could have another team outside of melbourne.
They tried it years ago with a team in gippsland but that was a total flop.

My ideas on how a 10 team league will look also with their home stadiums --

Perth Glory - MES Stadium
Adelaide United - Hindmarsh Stadium
Melbourne Victory - New Stadium
Canberra - Bruce Stadium
Wollongong Wolves - WIN Stadium
Sydney FC - Aussie Stadium
Central Coast Mariners - Central Coast Stadium
Newcstle Jets - Energy Australia Stadium
Gold Coast FC - New Stadium
Brisbane Roar - Ballymore

New Zealand Knights will go broke before you know it.
Queensland should change their name to Brisbane and move to ballymore which has a capacity of 22,000.

Future teams to come from Nth Qld, Western Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Southern Melbourne and tasmania

No old NSL teams!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
Part of the reason for the 1 team each for Sydney/Melbourne was to break up the old ethnic rivalry that existed between the NSL clubs.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lions2006, i reckon there will be a team based out of Wollongong but it won't be the wolves.

They're a joke.

It will be something like Illawarra United or something.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
it would be stupid for the Roar to play at Ballymore, its the exact reason the Reds left the stadium. Its in a bad position, hard to get too and is a fairly crap overall stadium.

The only problem with Suncorp is that it has high rental cost, but the Roar have a good financial base so im sure they can do it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i think one team per state (and one for NZ) and 2 in the areas where theres enough demand for it (possibly NZ,VIC,NSW,QLD)

it's silly to think that just because those areas have a relatively high population that they could support 2 teams though... in a place like victoria it would be much better to focus on one team, there's less confusion and it can better compete for attention with other sports which are prominant here...

i'm of the opinion that the A league guys are doing a really good job pushing football in this country..

·
Registered
340 Posts
sydney_lad said:
I don't think you get the point of the A-League mate.
Two words. Transfer and Market. A few years ago wigan were wallowing in the 3rd division and these days they're giving arsenal a run for their money.

1 - 20 of 454 Posts