Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please no city vs city, and make sure to give your reasons. Rank cities if you want. :)

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
Oh boy, this is just asking for trouble.

At this very moment,
I would say the Metro Area that is doing the very best is Washington-Baltimore. Its growing by leaps and bounds and it has a very strong existing urban fabric. I also think it scores points because its wealthy and highly educated. Also, The Area is increasing its racial and ethnic diversity quite rapidly and I like that a lot.

So,
I will swallow my pride and say DC-Baltimore. :runaway:

·
Registered
385 Posts
If I had to pick just one it would be NYC. It's the oldest big city in the country, it has everything, great buildings, great skyline, great nightlife, great shops, great food, diversity, it was the capital a long time ago, and it's my hometown :) . Everyone says New Yorkers are snobby but they're wrong.

·
Jersey FRESH
460 Posts
mid-town said:
If I had to pick just one it would be NYC. It's the oldest big city in the country, it has everything, great buildings, great skyline, great nightlife, great food, it was the capital a long time ago, and it's my hometown :) . Everyone says New Yorkers are snobby but they're wrong.
The only snobby New Yorkers are the ones that moved to Manhattan from Iowa 2 years ago and think they're hot urban sh!t now!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
mid-town said:
If I had to pick just one it would be NYC. It's the oldest big city in the country, it has everything, great buildings, great skyline, great nightlife, great food, it was the capital a long time ago, and it's my hometown :) . Everyone says New Yorkers are snobby but they're wrong.
Is NYC older than Philly and Boston?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I personally can't single out just one. I have different favorites for different reasons.

Chicago for architechture
San Francisco for setting
Boston for urbanity
NY for attitude and history
Miami for nightlife

and Seattle
and San Diego
and LA................................you get the point

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
chindy said:
I personally can't single out just one. I have different favorites for different reasons.

Chicago for architechture
San Francisco for setting
Boston for urbanity
NY for attitude and history
Miami for nightlife

and Seattle
and San Diego
and LA................................you get the point
Thank you for including Miami. I would have, but I would be afraid to be called "bias," and have the whole, "Miami doesn't compare to . . . ." But yeah, I agree. Miami is now top-notch. Still, Chicago. LA is pretty fine, too. Boston, Seattle, yada yada yada. Oh, my personal favorite, HONOLULU! Would I be killed if I said NY wasn't on my top 10? AHH! Gotta RUN! :runaway:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, NYC was founded in 1624, Boston was founded in 1630, and Philly was founded in 1682.
Not much of a difference between NYC and Boston though.

In NYC are villages that have houses and buildings that are about 400 years old. Even outside of NYC are villages that have main streets with shops and houses that are about 400 years old.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
mid-town said:
Yes, NYC was founded in 1624, Boston was founded in 1630, and Philly was founded in 1682.

Outside of NYC and in NYC are villages that have houses that are about 400 years old.
Hm, I always thought Philly was older. wasn't sure about Boston

·
Banned
285 Posts
mid-town said:

In NYC are villages that have houses and buildings that are about 400 years old. Even outside of NYC are villages that have main streets with shops and houses that are about 400 years old.

Philadelphia 1630's new sweden was the earliest European settlement also the lenape indians were in the region before the Europeans. Actually there are homes that was built by the swedes in the 1600's that are still there today.

Philadelphia has the oldest continious streets in America, the oldest this and that but new amsterdam is older. When it comes to cities being created anything within 50 years is all the same.

Here's some of Philadelphia's American Credentials.

Oldest continuously occupied street in the U.S.: Elfreth's Alley, since 1713.
First art school and art museum: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, founded 1805.
Oldest theater in continuous use in the English-speaking world: Walnut Street Theater, since 1809.
First orchestra to appear in a motion picture (1937), on television (1948) and to tour China (1973): Philadelphia Orchestra.
First city to guarantee religious freedom, beginning in 1682.
First African-American church: Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church, established 1794.
First zoo in America: Philadelphia Zoo, chartered in 1859 and opened in 1874.
First July 4th event: 1776. Still a big celebration every year with the 10-day Sunoco Welcome America! festival.
First Thanksgiving Day Parade: 1919.
First botanical garden: Bartram's Garden, opened 1728.
First U.S. stock exchange: Philadelphia Stock Exchange, 1790.
First international-style skyscraper: Loews Philadelphia Hotel (12th & Market Streets), formerly the PSFS (bank) Building, 1932. This was also the first totally air-conditioned building in America.
First and oldest hospital in America: Pennsylvania Hospital, opened 1751.
First World's Fair in America:the Centennial International Exhibition, 1876.
First American convention: the Constitutional Convention of 1787, where the Constitution of the United States was written and adopted by representatives of the 13 original colonies.
First American university: The University of Pennsylvania assumed university status in 1779.
First library: The Library Company of Philadelphia, founded by Benjamin Franklin in 1731; its current location, 1314 Locust Street, is open to the public.
First U. S. Mint: established in 1792 on Seventh Street, near Arch Street, it was the first property acquired by the federal government.
First U.S. Bank
More Than 150 museums and 1379 historical sites in the City Limits.
37 percent of downtown residents to walk to work.

The first daily newspaper was published in Philadelphia on Sept. 21, 1784.
Philadelphia saw the first Zoological garden in July 1874.
In Philadelphia in 1775 Johann Behrent built the first piano in America calling it under the name "Piano Forte."
Philadelphia is the site of the first presidential mansion.
Betsy Ross made the first American flag in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is home to the cheesesteak sandwich, water ice, soft pretzels, and TastyKakes.
The Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia in 1776.
Philadelphia is home to the Liberty Bell.
Philadelphia was once the United States capital city.
In 1946 Philadelphia became home to the first computer. (ENIAC)

My list for the creme de la creme of american cities would be.

1. Philadelphia, Boston, Nyc

2. Baltimore, L.A., Chicago, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas,Detroit, San Francisco, D.C., St. louis, etc..

3. Atlanta, Miami, Memphis, Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland,
and so on..

1 - 20 of 118 Posts