SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What city/urban area in the world do you think has the most under-construction projects going-on at the moment in terms of overall numbers and not ratio of city/urban current built-up area to the under-construction one.
For example: Beijing has probably more construction projects going-on at the moment than Dubai in total scale terms. Though, Dubai's ratio of under-construction comprise a large part of the cities infrastructure as compared to Beijing because Beijing is a larger city which already has a large built-up area completed.

Replies are very well appreciated. :) Many thanks.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
I wouldn't doubt on Dubai right now! :)

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How about Hong Kong???

Hong Kong, is the skyscraper capital of Asia, and probably the world. And, when I was there last October, they are still building those ultra-thin highrise building! Wow! I just love how dense Hong Kong is.

In my opinion: Hong Kong, though smaller than many globally recognized (global city-status) cities in Asia (Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Beijing and Shanghai), looks more aesthetic (in an overall touristic sense) than any of them. :D

My favorite globally recognized cities in Asia have got to be: (in order)
1. Singapore
2. Shanghai
3. Hong Kong
4. Tokyo
5. Beijing

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
^^
I think that Dubai's amonts dwarf any city in Asia, not sure why it is, but I guess that they felt left out of the asian building boom!

·
17,472 Posts
The Cebuano Exultor said:
Hong Kong, is the skyscraper capital of Asia, and probably the world. And, when I was there last October, they are still building those ultra-thin highrise building! Wow! I just love how dense Hong Kong is.

In my opinion: Hong Kong, though smaller than most cities in Asia (Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Beijing and Shanghai), looks more aesthetic (in an overall touristic view/perception and experience) than any of them except for Shanghai :D .

My favorite globally recognized cities in Asia have got to be: (in order)
1. Singapore
2. Shanghai
3. Hong Kong
4. Tokyo
5. Beijing
Hong Kong > Shanghai or Singapore :)

Anyway, HK also has alot of construction happening but not in the same rate as Dubai.

·
17,472 Posts
Anyway, here are the no. of buildings under construction in selected Asian cities (source: Emporis)

Hong Kong = 142
Dubai = 297
Shanghai = 25

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So...is it really Dubai???

So, is Dubai really the king of kings when it comes to total construction activity?

How about urban areas like Tokyo, Sao Paulo, or Beijing?

>Tokyo
-Tokyo's normally builds around 200-300 high-rise buildings every year. I mean, it their normal construction activity!

>Sao Paulo
-It is an urban area with already 48,000 high-rises (though not really tall ones). I've read that Sao Paulo has enough high-rise construction so that in everyday of the year one is completed [this is based on hearsays from people].

>Beijing
-This city is trying very hard to impress the world when it plays host to the 2008 Olympics. Construction of not only high-rise buildings but also expressways, subways, other forms of rail-transport as well as the stadiums are just all over the place.

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@ChicagoSkyline

How about Chicago, the true skyscraper capital of the Americas?

Is Chicago also experiencing a construction boom like many Asian, Latin American, and GCC countries. :)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
So, is Dubai really the king of kings when it comes to total construction?

How about urban areas like Tokyo? Sao Paulo? Beijing?

*Tokyo
-Tokyo's normally builds about 200-300 high-rise buildings every year. I mean, it their normal construction activity!

*Sao Paulo
-It is an urban area with already 48,000 high-rises (though not really tall ones). I've read that Sao Paulo has enough high-rise construction so that in everyday of the year one is completed [this is based on hearsays from people].

*Beijing
-This city is trying very hard to impress the world when it plays host to the 2008 Olympics. Construction of not only high-rise buildings but also expressways, subways, other forms of rail-transport, and stadiums (the Olympic Green is WoW!).
One thing for sure they are all sticking with mid risers! :)

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shanghai???

What the hell has happened to Shanghai? I doubt it only has 25 high-rise projects going-up. I think Emporis is quite inaccurate with its figures in Shanghai. I was thingking it to have about a thousand major and minor high-rise construction going-on at the moment.

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@ ChicagoSkyline

Yeah, your right. But, in my book, construction of mid-rises are as significant as construction of high-rises ones. :

Don't forget about Seoul, too. :)

·
17,472 Posts
So, is Dubai really the king of kings when it comes to total construction?

How about urban areas like Tokyo? Sao Paulo? Beijing?

*Tokyo
-Tokyo's normally builds about 200-300 high-rise buildings every year. I mean, it their normal construction activity!

*Sao Paulo

*Beijing
-This city is trying very hard to impress the world when it plays host to the 2008 Olympics. Construction of not only high-rise buildings but also expressways, subways, other forms of rail-transport, and stadiums (the Olympic Green is WoW!).
Here are the statistics

Tokyo = 164
Sao Paulo =
Beijing =

As for Beijing, the city already has a metro system. Most like it's gonna be expanded.

·
17,472 Posts
What the hell has happened to Shanghai? I doubt it only has 25 high-rise projects going-up. I think Emporis is quite inaccurate with its figures in Shanghai. I was thingking it to have about a thousand major and minor high-rise construction going-on at the moment.
Shanghai is slowly sinking
Epoch Times
9/28/2003

Shanghai, the largest city in China and literally meaning “above the sea,” may soon become “under the sea” if growth is not managed, experts say.

Rapid economic growth in Shanghai over the last two decades has resulted in growth expansion of skyscrapers in many areas of the city. These buildings have added a significant burden to the soil and bedrock, to the extent that the ground has been sinking. On average, the city is sinking at the annual rate of 1.5 cm (0.7 inch). The sinking ground has already affected the construction of subways and high-rises. Shanghai may become an underground city in 50 years if the current situation continues.

The Yangcheng Evening News reported that the problem is most severe in Pudong District, where a mere 540 square km (208 square miles) of land is home to 1.4 million people. In the financial district, where there is large concentration of skyscrapers,the ground is sinking at 3 cm per year, doubling the city’s average. In the area near the 420-meter tall Jinmao Tower, which once was the tallest building in the world, ground is sinking at 6.3 cm every year.

Shanghai Water Resources Bureau staff attributes ground sinking to weight from the construction of skyscrapers, excavation for underground projects such as the subway system, and the over consumption of groundwater.

There are over 3000 buildings higher than 24 stories in Shanghai, while another 3000 are planned or under construction.

Experts say that global warming has resulted in a worldwide rise in sea levels. By 2050, the water level near Shanghai is expected to rise 5 to 7 cm, bringing even more pressure to the soil.

On July 1, 2003, a severe water leakage in the Fourth Line of the Shanghai subway led to the leaning and collapse of several high-rises nearby, sending a sobering warning to building officials.

Furthermore, the varying speed of ground sinking in different areas could potentially threaten the stability of the subway tunnels.

However, these warning signs have not discouraged the city and eager developers. The Yangcheng Evening News reported that another skyscraper project, vying to become the world’s tallest, is planned in Pudong’s financial district near the Jinmao Tower. The estimated cost for the new 101-story building is $625 million.

Chinese geologists say that Shanghai was originally a shoal, and its foundation is composed of sand and silt washed over by the Yangtze River. The top layer of the city is 300 meters of soft soil, which is water-absorbent, permeable, and elastic like a sponge.

Building records show that by the 1960s, there were 40 high-rises in Shanghai. During the 1980s, 650 new high-rises were built. Two thousand new high-rises were built in the next decade. The construction industry was especially robust in 1997, when 484 buildings were completed. Currently there are over 3000 high-rises of more than 24 stories in Shanghai, more than 100 of which have 100 or more stories.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
How about Chicago, the skyscraper true capital in the Americas? Is Chicago also experiencing a construction boom like many Asian, Latin American, and GCC countries. :)
Yea, I think that it always has! Chicago has its initial semi building boom revitalization started shortly after Y2k after our massive supertalls 3 decades ago and just these few years, our skyline is also getting busy growing up with ultra modern beauties!

From emporis: Chicago is current having 40 U/C :cheers:

·
Tears of Buddha
1,421 Posts
WANCH said:
Anyway, here are the no. of buildings under construction in selected Asian cities (source: Emporis)

Hong Kong = 142
Dubai = 297
Shanghai = 25

Sao Paulo = 643
Dubai = 297
Tokyo = 164
Hong Kong = 142
Singapore = 137
Seoul = 60
Beijing = 54
Bangkok =51
Shanghai = 25

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well...

Well, I think the sinking problem is limited to the Pudong New Area.

If I remember it right, Pudong New Area is the one that is sinking and not the Old Puxi area. :dunno:

·
17,472 Posts
Well, I think the sinking problem is limited to the Pudong New Area.

If I remember it right, Pudong New Area is the one that is sinking and not the Old Puxi area. :dunno:
I think includes Puxi as well but Pudong is more prone. Despite of that they're still building the SWFC.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts