Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
WoyaoDaJb
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If an alien race came to earth and they only got time to see on earth city, which one would you choose to best show the magnitude of human civilisation. My pick would be Tokyo.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Good call... Or perhaps Singapore for more serenity and orderliness

Depends though... are we trying to impress them with how advanced and civilised we are, or are we giving them a true taste of all humanity?

If its the latter maybe New York or London...

In fact if you show them London you can show them 2,000 years of history, buildings from every period, people from every corner of the globe, and dizzying contrasts between the haves and have nots... a real microcosm of the earth and its human history.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
and drunk 14 years old girls

yeah!!

ill show them new york

·
Chop your passport!!!
42 Posts
Show them Bagdad
Let them see the nature of destruction in the human race

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would show him Canberra or Sydney. From any point of angle in those cities you get a perfect shot. It's just amazing!!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I will show them the dirtest and poorest city so they will say "forget it those are not worth invading".

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
In fact if you show them London you can show them 2,000 years of history, buildings from every period, people from every corner of the globe, and dizzying contrasts between the haves and have nots... a real microcosm of the earth and its human history.
Agree wholeheartedly, there are many old cities out there, but none as alive and vibrant as London. 2 Rolls Royces passed me by in London as well, around Gloucester Rd and Sloan Sq.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
There can't be a more salient statement about the human condition at the moment than Washington and Baghdad.

Note that in neither city would you get within hundreds of metres of the guy calling the shots.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Paris

For many of the same reasons as London, having diversity in architecture spanning many centuries, medievil to post-mod scrapers, etc., incredible transit coverage, impressive density (moreso than London even), but I also like the symmetrical layout. I feel that since symmetry is something that is appreciated across cultures, perhaps its could even be appreciated across species.

There's also a more obvious reason of course. Many people consider Paris to have the most beautiful built form of any major city, so why not show off a little? If they're advanced enough for space travel, then there's nothing of ours that could impressive them technologically. But beauty is something that can be appreciated regardless.

Of course, there's no guarantee that aliens would have the same taste as us. Maybe they woud find Paris hideous. lol

·
Neanderthal
956 Posts
^^

Yeah. We might appreciate our history, but there's no guarantee that extraterrestrials would. We may look at a neo-gothic or baroque cathedral and smile, but an alien might scoff. If I were an alien, I would want to see how advanced Earth was, not its history.

It really depends what kind of aspect you want to bring to them. If you want to show them vibrancy, day and night, then show them Shibuya. If you want to boast our supertalls, then go for Hong Kong or Chicago.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
If you show an alien a city, chances are they'll make it the first to be destroyed.

·
Registered
物の哀れ
27,054 Posts
very interesting thread, many well thought out, unique posts, unlike those bandwagon threads where a large majority disagree or agree.

as for me, I would show them Dubai, a city of amazing and eye dropping buildings+projects+islands

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Depends what facet of our humanity we wanted to show them.

History:
London or Beijing

Technological advances:
Any of the sky scraper meccas: Chicago, Hong Kong, New York, etc.

Big Things:
Dubai

Most beautiful places:
Monaco, Honolulu,

Economic inequality:
Capetown, Manila, Rio

Advances in plastic surgery:
LA

Hell on Earth
Dallas or Houston :-D (I kid, I kid)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts