SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In which direction does your city sprawl out to its greatest extent? How far? This includes exurbs, and open land between sprawled communities. For this thread, sprawl ends when the last strip mall and suburban division ends (or you run into another metro area).

Milwaukee's western suburbs sprawl out about 35 miles or so west of downtown, to roughly oconomowoc (just out of frame to the west Waukesha).

I would imagine LA is probably the winner of this contest. I think the inland empire reaches 100 miles or so inland.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts

about 60 miles to the North (Kenosha).

70 Miles to the west- Huntley( West of Elgin), Sugar Grove(west of Aurora), Morris(West of Joliet)(not even on this map)

About 50 miles to the south- Matteson.(not even on this map)

60 miles- Michigan City, IN. to the east (Nearly not even on this map)

I am not proud of this but, here is the facts about Chicago sprawl- guess sprawl is worse than I thought. http://www.sierraclub.org/sprawl/report98/chicago.asp

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Atlanta may be a contender as well. Listed as sierra club's "worst sprawler." Not only does it sprawl more than 70 miles outside of its downtown in some shape or form, it also has little urban areas to counter the sprawl.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Fiddlerontheruf said:
Atlanta may be a contender as well. Listed as sierra club's "worst sprawler." Not only does it sprawl more than 70 miles outside of its downtown in some shape or form, it also has little urban areas to counter the sprawl.

But look at all our gas stations!

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
I suggest that Atlanta needs abother Beltway for the future, like an 80 miles diameter around Atlanta soon.

Its so bad in Chicago, that Chicago extending a major spur in the south suburb. from Bolingbrook to New Lenox(use the map I provided).

·
Registered
396 Posts
KC sprawls in every direction, but its worst to the south. Imagine sprawl for 40 miles straight south, meanwhile it is 25-30 miles in every other direction. Johnson County, Kansas sprawled all the way to the southern border, then Franklin, Linn, Miami counties took over.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here are two maps..long term sprawl from 1950 onward

And recent sprawl...1990-2000...a close-up of the general area in the above map, but closer to Dayton...the areas in blue are the areas that are gaining the most population....

In terms of distance, using the first map. about 21 miles from downtown to Troy in the north and also 21-22 miles to Middletown in the south....Xenia is 18 miles to the east...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, I think my city (Los Angeles) takes the cake. If you drive nonstop from Redlands (in the Inland Empire) to Simi Valley (in Ventura county), you will drive 100 miles in pure sprawl, nonstop city with no breaks inbetween. Nowhere will you see an empty field. The same thing goes if you drive from San Clemente (southernmost Orange County) to Simi Valley.. you get 100 miles of city after city after city with no fields, greenbelts, or any sort of breaks inbetween. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here in StL sprawl is a big problem. Downtown to Wentzville is around 45 miles west on the Mark Twain Expwy (I-70). and now its reaching out to warrenton which is about 55 miles from Downtown. Going south along I-55 i would say about 35 miles. East into Ill. Highland and Lebanon are about 40 miles out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Toronto:
If you measure from Oshawa to Hamilton, it's about 90miles or upwards of 150km.

·
Registered
284 Posts
hmmm In Cincinnati from downtown up I-75 up to Piqua Ohio 72.1 miles, but i'm not sure if you can call the city of dayton sprawl.

The whole stretch from Walton,Ky up I-75 through Cincinnati/Dayton to Piqua is about 90+ miles.

Cincinnati-Dayton-Springfield (approx. 3.3 million)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Syracuse sprawls northwest about 14 miles from downtown. The whole county only builds 1,000 houses per year. Hard to sprawl out much with so little development.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmmm In Cincinnati from downtown up I-75 up to Piqua Ohio 72.1 miles, but i'm not sure if you can call the city of dayton sprawl.

The whole stretch from Walton,Ky up I-75 through Cincinnati/Dayton to Piqua is about 90+ miles.
Whats going on is overlapping patterns of sprawl and hollowing-out inner cities. This is happening in both Cincinnati and Dayton, and in the smaller cities like Springfield and perhaps Middletown and Hamilton...

A good picture of sprawl in Ohio is this township population by density map, showing how exurbia is moving way out into the country...the medium blue and even lighter blue townships probably "look" rural as a lot of farmland is still left, but there are ribbon developments on country roads, small subdivision, and people commute to work in services or manufacturing, not farms....

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Well, Greater Chicago which extends northup to Kenosha is about 15-20 miles away from combining with the Milwaukee area which extends south to Racine

No more than 30 miles away from swallowing up Rockford

and Michigan City, which is now part of the Chicago CSA about 25 miles away from South Bend if that...

So I guess Chicago is sprawling eqaully in all directions...

1 - 20 of 185 Posts