SkyscraperCity banner

What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?

• Los Angeles

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • San Francisco

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Seattle

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Boston

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • New York City

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Washington, D.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicago

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • St. Louis

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • New Orleans

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Miami

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The U.S. is blessed to have a wide array fascinating cities. With this said, which city do you consider to be the most unique in this country? Please explain why you feel the away the city you choose. Pictures are welcomed.

As a side note: this is not a city vs. city thread, so please do not bash another person's city.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ Give me a break.

There is no "most unique city". Each city is unique in its own right.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ How is one city more "unique" than another. I'll give you "interesting", but "unique"? Come on...

On a more personal note, I don't understand why you keep creating these city vs. city/top 10/"best"/"favorite" type threads.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
If this could be measured it would have to be New Orleans.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Every city is unique, but I chose NYC. The lifestyle there is completely different from most parts of the US

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yeah, every city is unique, but I choose LA.

LA is the only major city in the US that is split in two by a mountain range. In LA it can be 80 degrees, and you can be looking at snow capped 10,000 mountains that look especially huge because you're looking at them from about sea level.

I know it's been said over and over again, but where else can you do alpine sports and surf in the same day?

And the weather, definitely unique. Only LA and San Diego have this type of Mediterranean climate in the whole United States. While pretty much everyone east of the Mississippi has to deal with stinky heat, humidity, thunderstorms, and tornadoes in the summer, the picnic forecast in Los Angeles is perfect until about October. Sunny. Every. Single. Day.

I think the east coast and midwest cities have too many similarities between each other to be the most unique, with the exception of New York. My opinion of course.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No city is more unique than New Orleans. The whole feel of it is extremely different and bizarre. NYC may win every other poll,but this one definatly goes to New Orleans.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yeah, every city is unique, but I choose LA.

LA is the only major city in the US that is split in two by a mountain range. In LA it can be 80 degrees, and you can be looking at snow capped 10,000 mountains that look especially huge because you're looking at them from about sea level.

I know it's been said over and over again, but where else can you do alpine sports and surf in the same day?

And the weather, definitely unique. Only LA and San Diego have this type of Mediterranean climate in the whole United States. While pretty much everyone east of the Mississippi has to deal with stinky heat, humidity, thunderstorms, and tornadoes in the summer, the picnic forecast in Los Angeles is perfect until about October. Sunny. Every. Single. Day.

I think the east coast and midwest cities have too many similarities between each other to be the most unique, with the exception of New York. My opinion of course.

Wow. Well...Washington, D.C. is the only major city with a very strict height limit averaging about 150 feet creating the most unique urban environment of any major U.S. city. Yet it has the third largest office market in the country even larger than Los Angeles and only less than Chicago and New York.

Washington, D.C. sets it's self apart as the nations capital where all federal laws are created. It is the seat of power in the Country and some even call it the most powerful city in the world mandating government installations in all major cities in the U.S. that have created thousands of jobs in those cities.

Baltimore sits on the Chesapeake Bay, the largest bay in the Country with spots named as some of the best places for sailing in the Country.

Baltimore and Washington are the two closest major cities in the country, yet with very different identities. The Baltimore and Ohio railroad is the birthplace of American Railroading and the nations first starting from the port of Baltimore. The port of Baltimore is farthest inland port to the Midwest of the Country than any other U.S. port. Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore is the #1 U.S. academic institution in total Research & Development. The Johns Hopkins Hospital was ranked as the top hospital in the United States for the seventeenth year in a row.

Maryland is the wealthiest state in the country and known as "America in miniature" because of the snowy ski resorts in western Maryland, the urban density and wealth in Central Maryland and the mix of Southern and Northern cultures and the beaches and laid back life of the Eastern shore.

The atmosphere is very pleasant you get a taste of all seasons but it avoids very deep snow storms, hurricanes, mudslides, particularly major forest fires and earthquakes unlike the West coast. It is the epicenter of the Mid-Atlantic Region.

See how that works? Again every city is unique.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I choose Miami. Its just a personal oppinion. Though I agree there is no, "most unique," city, Miami is the one I find most interesting. And its the only city in the US that has a bay that you can swim in without fealing dirty. The entire city makes you feel like your in the Carribean, its very tropical, and beautiful.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
On a scale of about 500,000 people, every city becomes distinct. It'd be easier to argue America's most unique suburb or satellite city.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Wow.

See how that works? Again every city is unique.

I understand how it works, I said at the begining of my post that every city is unique.

Don't post in this thread if you don't like it. What's the point if people can't post which city they think is the most unique? Do you want just one post that says every city is unique and close the thread down?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Every city is unique in it's own way and I think this thread is pointless. But I did vote Miami, just because I love it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.