SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though i don't live in Los Angeles..i like the Great Variety of Entertainment,Restaurants,Culture and People and The Great Variety of Microclimates,Landscapes,Sceneries...

I don't like The Smog,Traffic,Grafitti and Gangs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't live in LA but the gangs there are vicious. You can't wear a certain color without having to worry about being shot down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
^Never had that problem.

I don't think the traffic that bad here. Tampa, if you've even driven to Orlando on I-4 then you've been in worse. I don't mind the grafitti per say, but I do hate "taging" It's like the poor man's grafitti. And I don't like suburbanites in the valley. Other then that, I wouldn't trade LA for anywhere. Love it to death!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Tampa813 said:
I don't live in LA but the gangs there are vicious. You can't wear a certain color without having to worry about being shot down.
That's how you can tell who's been to the ghetto and who just stereotypes. People who've actually been there/live there don't worry about that much, they just live and hope they don't get shot down. The only thing you have to make sure is not to dress up all in one color, then your alright.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
There's a lot of things to like about LA, but what I hate about LA is the smog, traffic, the extremely hot weather you sometimes get there, and this LAPD/gang shootings I'm hearing about in the news lately (every city has gangs).

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Tampa813 said:
The hell?

If this were 1992 then I would agree somewhat.

I don't mind traffic that much. I think our freeway system is a marvel..espically in the OC. Orange County's freeways are so beautiful at night. I'll listen to trance and drive to Newport Beach or Santa Ana..I love the Orange Crush.

Only thing I don't like about LA is the lack of a decent subway system that reaches to at least Century City.

·
Registered
112 Posts
612bv3 said:
There's a lot of things to like about LA, but what I hate about LA is the smog, traffic, the extremely hot weather you sometimes get there, and this LAPD/gang shootings I'm hearing about in the news lately (every city has gangs).
YEA BUT NO WHERE IN AMERICA HAS A GANG PROBLEM LIKE LOS ANGELES

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't like the mindsets of some of the Los Angeles population. In LA, downtown, everyone (both people and buisnesses) seems to be afraid of the homeless, and have all but abandoned certain areas. In San Francisco, the civic center, the park with hundreds upon hundreds of homeless, everyone goes there, its full of buisnesses and people. What would be consitered "wild" in other cities, is viewed as dangerous in LA.

Oh yeah, all the damn restaurants and stores downtown close at 4:30 or 5, and aren't open on the weekends.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yakumoto said:
I don't like the mindsets of some of the Los Angeles population. In LA, downtown, everyone (both people and buisnesses) seems to be afraid of the homeless, and have all but abandoned certain areas. In San Francisco, the civic center, the park with hundreds upon hundreds of homeless, everyone goes there, its full of buisnesses and people. What would be consitered "wild" in other cities, is viewed as dangerous in LA.

Oh yeah, all the damn restaurants and stores downtown close at 4:30 or 5, and aren't open on the weekends.
see but the thing is los angeles is alot more dangerous than san francisco

·
Registered
541 Posts
HATE:
- high housing prices
- some gritty parts (a.k.a south-central)
- Traffic

LOVE: EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yakumoto said:

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is open on weekends and closes down later. Trust me, once you've been there, no other restaurant matters :) .

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's true....practically all the violence that happens in Los Angeles is over publicized and exaggerated to a point where other people who never been to L.A have the impression that all of L.A is dangerous,when in actuality only certain parts of L.A have high crime rates,but it gives The Entire Greater Los Angeles Area a bad image to the rest of the nation.
612bv3 said:
Yea, that's true, but it's also over publicize, from the news, tv shows, movies, etc..., it's everwhere.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only certain parts of The Greater Los Angeles Area is dangerous and you have to be specific to the dangerous areas or else others who never been to L.A will think that Los Angeles is one large dangerous ghetto...

LosAng said:

·
Registered
139 Posts
LosAng said:
What are the homeless going to do, poke you with AIDS needles? The difference is, that the homeless areas in LA get abandoned, and the homeless areas in San Francisco have all kinds of people in them.

And what makes LA more dangerous than San Francisco or any other city? (if you say anything about numbers that makes you an idiot) Its so much more a matter of how people see things, rather than how they actually are. The point that i was making, is that many people in Los angeles are oversensitive about these sorts of things.

I hate the fact that the library tower doesn't have a skybar at the top...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yakumoto said:
Its so much more a matter of how people see things, rather than how they actually are. The point that i was making, is that many people in Los angeles are oversensitive about these sorts of things.

That is so true, I had a co-worker (who lives in Orange County) tell me he went to The Grove (Fairfax District) once and hurried up out of there because the area was dangerous. I almost fell to the floor with laughter, I didn't believe he was serious, but he was.

Oh BTW the guy who claims downtown closes at 4 or 5pm and weekends have no clue what he's talking about. I guess he's never been to the Fashion District on the weekends, its wall to wall people. There are lots of restaurants that are open for dinner in the downtown area. Actually I spent the night at a friends condo downtown last Tuesday. We didn't go to dinner until 11pm over in Little Toyko, and there were lots of restaurants open still. In fact the place we ate at didn't close until 1am. We even peaked into a lounge that was quite full, with a live jazz band.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I like Los Angeles. I like it's polished parts, and, I like it's gritty parts - that's what makes a truly great urban environment. It's a real, ticking, functioning major city. I love it.

In Phoenix, the saying 'If we don't watch out, we're going to become another Los Angeles' is the prevailing ignorant mantra, spewed by many. Most have obviously never really visited Los Angeles. And no, driving through on their way to Magic Mountain or Disneyland, doesn't count. Anyway, my point is that, for the most part, 'becoming another Los Angeles' isn't a bad thing necessarily at all. Crime? Traffic? Yea - it's only natural (to an extent). In fact, I would think it strange if an urban area of 15-20 million residents DIDN'T have any of those issues. It's all part of the package to me. And, in the end (and in my humble opinion), there's obviously more good in Los Angeles than not. It's literally one of the most exciting, diverse, vibrant, and important cities in the world, whether one wants to admit it, or not. It's a fact of life. Anyone who spends as much time in Los Angeles as I do, knows this to be very true.

/ Anyway, end rant. Just sticking up for Los Angeles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
urbanphx said:
In Phoenix, the saying 'If we don't watch out, we're going to become another Los Angeles' is the prevailing ignorant mantra, spewed by many. Most have obviously never really visited Los Angeles. And no, driving through on their way to Magic Mountain or Disneyland, doesn't count.
Actually I think most people that live in Phoenix are originally FROM Los Angeles! :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yakumoto said:
What are the homeless going to do, poke you with AIDS needles? The difference is, that the homeless areas in LA get abandoned, and the homeless areas in San Francisco have all kinds of people in them....
Are you talking about the Tenderloin District in SF? There's a lot of homeless people there and it's also the most densly populated area in San Francisco.

I hate the fact that the library tower doesn't have a skybar at the top
That would be really cool, just think of views. :drool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts