SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
unoh
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes, I think I want to live in a small,peaceful city like reikyavik or aukland.

Seoul including satellite towns has the population of 20million...

That causes various problems...the housing, crime, unemployment,smoke,traffic etc...

In the morning and evening rush hours, every commuter train is packed with people and I amm suffocating and we must compete with others in here, as dog-eat-dog....and they sometimes deceive others for their success.

on the other hand, There has various exciting and interesting and new things...I am never boring....

what do you think about living the cities like reikyavik or aukland??

boring? or wellbeing ?

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
It all depend on your current preference.
I used to live in small towns and it does indeed very safe, slow paced and friendly folks. It has lot of advantages but also there are something that I felt missing out when you live in a big city like accessible shopping places, entertainments, different cultures and more.... So no matter how you looking at, it is you that really matters! For me, I kinda like the suburban environment due to my current situation, but my love toward city living also has growing in me as well everyday! :)

·
17,435 Posts
I wouldn't mind living in Auckland though it's not considered a small city. I think small cities would be, Corpus Christi in Texas

·
122,077 Posts
Big cities are not necessarily less safe. Japanese cities can get quite large yet they are very peaceful (ie. low crime) - much more so than their American counterparts.

·
17,435 Posts
Tokyo can be an example of this since it's the largest in the world but the crime rate is low.

·
122,077 Posts
A better example may be the Kobe area, which was badly damaged by a major earthquake in 1995. Looting was virtually unheard of. Contrast that to Los Angeles, or even New Orleans.

·
17,435 Posts
hkskyline said:
A better example may be the Kobe area, which was badly damaged by a major earthquake in 1995. Looting was virtually unheard of. Contrast that to Los Angeles, or even New Orleans.
I think it also has to do with The Japanese society since they are well disciplined.

·
unoh
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WANCH said:
I wouldn't mind living in Auckland though it's not considered a small city. I think small cities would be, Corpus Christi in Texas
I know the population of Auckland is 0.3million...It's a small city clearly.

·
unoh
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In case of seoul, public peace is good...but the danger of crime always exists because city has enourmous population

·
17,435 Posts
unoh said:
In case of seoul, public peace is good...but the danger of crime always exists because city has enourmous population
Like what kind of crime? Most likely it's gonna be petty crimes like pickpocketing. But I think crime in Seoul is not as serious compared to US cities.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
a small city is a good place to settle when you are old.
but i would never raise kids in a small city

personaly, id like to settle one day in a village on some remote island in the Phillipines or something.

·
17,435 Posts
luv2bebrown said:
a small city is a good place to settle when you are old.
but i would never raise kids in a small city

personaly, id like to settle one day in a village on some remote island in the Phillipines or something.
Well there's 7107 islands to choose from :D

·
122,077 Posts
WANCH said:
I think it also has to do with The Japanese society since they are well disciplined.
Well, that's my whole point. Population is irrelevant as long as the people can learn how to co-exist with each other. Many American cities are small on an international scale but they are quite crime-ridden even though they are not crowded at all.

·
17,435 Posts
unoh said:
is it true ?
as I know, the total population of New Zealand is about 4 million.. and Auckland is 377,382 (2001yrs)
I got my sources from whatelse, Wikipedia :D

Anyway, New Zealand has around 4 million but most of the country's cities aren't that large. The largest are Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

·
unoh
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WANCH said:
Like what kind of crime? Most likely it's gonna be petty crimes like pickpocketing. But I think crime in Seoul is not as serious compared to US cities.
Of course, Gun accidents naver be occured in my city because can't possess guns in korea..
But it occurs other crime like murder, robber, fraud case now and then

·
17,435 Posts
hkskyline said:
Well, that's my whole point. Population is irrelevant as long as the people can learn how to co-exist with each other. Many American cities are small on an international scale but they are quite crime-ridden even though they are not crowded at all.
True but I also think Japan is homogenous unlike The United States where you got mixed cultures and races.

·
122,077 Posts
A better, more reliable source would be the New Zealand government statistics agency. They had a census in 2001 :

http://www.stats.govt.nz/people/default.htm

Search Community Profiles -
Auckland Region - 1,158,891
Auckland City - 367,737

Wellington Region - 423,765
Wellington City - 163,824

New Zealand - 3,737,277

·
122,077 Posts
WANCH said:
True but I also think Japan is homogenous unlike The United States where you got mixed cultures and races.
Having a homogeneous culture is not necessarily a good indicator of crime. For example, homogeneous societies such as Japan have low crime. However, heterogeneous societies such as Canada also have low crime. Meanwhile, homogeneous African-American communities in the US consistently suffer from high crime rates.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts