SkyscraperCity banner

What you believe for the future of the building of Ministry of Education at Mitropoleos street?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
MOLON LAVE
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will send this poll to the Mayor of Athens office and to the owner of the building the Church of Greece.
It is a gigantic big building n the heart of the historic centre, connecting Plaka and Syntagma area. Its future will be definetely change the whole image of the historic and commerial area of Mitropoleos street.
With the announce of Mr. Kaklamanis that he plans to demolish builings and make them parks, the example of Keramikos area (demolish of 14 thousands metres buidings and a grene park to their position) what do you believe for the future of the abandoned and ugly buildings of Athens...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I ABSOLUTELY hate that building! I am saying down with it! The little church looks strangled. I always wondered who was the idiot that commited such a crime.. :eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm happy to see that my idea got so much repercution (and so fast) thanks to the power of Internet. Well done ELLIN, adding this poll was a great idea, hopefully my dream will become true.

Besides, this is an oppotunity to change the face of our city. A kickoff to improve not only the center of Athens but the whole city.

A building like that in THAT part of the city is something like an insult to the common good taste. An example is what they are doing with the Stadtschloss in Berlin where they demolished a similar building (of bigger proportions) to be replaced by the reconstruction of a palace equal in style with its 18th century counterpart.

As for the idea of replacing that building with a mall, I think the city has enough space for malls (newly built ones of course and with state-of-the-art styles, not just boxy styless freaks); as a matter of fact there was ALREADY a mall under construction in Votanikos; places like Elaionas, Maroussi, Syggrou, Kifissias, etc are the best for malls not the historic center of the city. And let's not forget that a FNAC is soon to be opened a few meter away from there in Mitropoleos and Aiolou.

Also in my opinion everything below mitropoleos st. is Plaka, and this is such a case. Now if you are visiting the city, what do you think tourists are expecting to see in the old quarter of the city; a horrible building of the 60s covering (in a very coarse and tasteless way) a beautiful medieval structure; or a beautiful historic buildings or in this case a green square mainly focusing the old 15th century building.

I hope no one of Syriza will find the opportunity to hamper something like this too; now with a different excuse (that would contradict their latter stance in the Votanikos mall issue) basing their arguments on something like the possibility of using this building as an illegal immigrants shelter, or even arguing its historical importance (used as a pretext which would be actually founder on further interests of the party, as something like a SYRIZA headquarters building). Of course this last paragraph is just an assumption, just in case something happens; :D hehehe but I'm just thinking in advance; since we learned a lot from past (yet not solved) issues.

:cheers:

·
Banned
783 Posts
After having voted for the first option.

I still think we need to be practical and realise that such a prime asset is unlikely to be turned over for use soley as a park.

Further, the Church as owner should be encouraged to redevelop this site, rather than destroy other more sensitive/intact parts of the historic Plaka district.

Further any future development on the site should aim to:

• allow the church to sit on its own - free from any building.
  • new building/refurbishment should incorporate an appropriate facade treatment that respects the traditional form and character of Mitropoleous St;
  • A new plaza/square should be provided to act as a transition in scale between the new/refurbished building and church.
  • the small church should be restored and turned into a feature of the street with appropriate lighting and planting.
Let us know if you receive a response from the Mayor's Office Ellin

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
After having voted for the first option.

• new building/refurbishment should incorporate an appropriate facade treatment that respects the traditional form and character of Mitropoleous St;
You mean something like what they did with the King George Hotel in Syntagma. Well if the building would get a more beaux arts (like the Publics building in syntagma) style I would say yes, but it should also include a green sector, preferably by the Mitropoleos side. But nothing modern should be there, if there is going to be something there it should be either a square or an old style building, probably a hotel with a private pseudo-street entrance, thus giving the appropriate space for a green front "garden" or patch, where the church could be standing on; do you know what I mean guys?

Believe me such a building would change the whole atmosphere of that part of the street, giving it a more elegant style like that of a Voukourestiou between Stadiou and Panepistimiou.

It's that or the little park, anything else would look horrible in that part of the city, which I want you remind you is well inside the old quarter of the city.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I voted for:

"It must be demolished and turned to a beautifull park with the little church on the corner"

Usually I am not into such small parks in the centre of Athens, I believe you either demolish 10 buildings and build a park, or you build a new building, much more modern and urban-friendly, BUT in this case, the little church should stay on its own, the building over the church is something really awful. So in my opinion that building should be demolished (Ministry of Education is already in another locaiton) and a little park sorrounding the church, with lots of big trees, should be built in its place.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
the church is clearly an important part of the old city with it being visited many times daily, not only by tourists but also by athenians. it deserves to stand alone and not be covered by such an unattractive structure, such as the ministry of education and religion building. a park sounds good, but as NickyF has mentioned we need to be realistic. such an important building will need much consideration before its demolition. something, however, should be done. somthing that will show off the essence of a church.

·
Architect Engineer
1,146 Posts
I don't get this mania with saving the church...Is it a historic building? Is it a building worth saving? I've passed in front of the the church a couple of times the last 3 months, and I can't say that this little temple is an example of orthodox architecture. I'd rather say that it's a common church like thousands others in all the country. I'm saying all this because if the building ever gets to be demolished, I don't know how it can be done so that it gets demolished without affecting the church...And all I'm saying is that, do we really need that littl church saved? I personally don't find anything special about it...

·
Registered
188 Posts
The chapel is 'Ayia Dynamis', where women who want to become pregnant light candles. That is the only information I can find...

I voted for a small park, an oasis, paired with the church. That way, when one enters the park, they will be entering the "first phase" of the church sanctuary.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the church already has structural damage from that damn support column piercing the roof. Trying to protect the church from any demolition of the building might be futile. It could result in the church collapsing. Maybe the best bet is to disassemble the church, piece-by-piece, then reassemble it once the site is cleared.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
The church is not architecturally interesting, but it's 400 years old, and that's reason enough to preserve it! They wanted to demolish it when they were building the ministry, and it was saved by the intervention of the architect Kostas Biris, who held some official position at the municipality at the time.

·
Architect Engineer
1,146 Posts
It doesn't look 400 years old on first glance. And, yes, I must admit it has no architectural interest. However, since it's way over 100 years old, it's automatically a monument, so I agree with Thalassa that the best sollution would be to disassemble the church, piece-by-piece, and then reassemble it once the site is cleared.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Guys, you are right - I hope that SOMETHING is done with this building. It is a complete eyesore and, as with many other empty buildings and houses in the centre, is adding to the gradual abandoment and decline of the center of Athens. A park would be nice but if the funds are not there, even a hotel would be an improvement.

It is amazing that in such expensive location and it stays empty for so many years (when did the Ministry leave from there?). It is yet another proof that the state (and state-like organizations such as the Church) are incapable of managing anything. The city of Athens should lobby the state and the church to develop these buildings and even confiscate abandoned buildings so as to keep the city alive.

Of course, I hope that once they take the decision to do something with it, there wont be 1000 attacks in the STE so that nothing happens for another 100 years!

·
MOLON LAVE
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm happy to see that my idea got so much repercution (and so fast) thanks to the power of Internet. Well done ELLIN, adding this poll was a great idea, hopefully my dream will become true.

Besides, this is an oppotunity to change the face of our city. A kickoff to improve not only the center of Athens but the whole city.

A building like that in THAT part of the city is something like an insult to the common good taste. An example is what they are doing with the Stadtschloss in Berlin where they demolished a similar building (of bigger proportions) to be replaced by the reconstruction of a palace equal in style with its 18th century counterpart.

As for the idea of replacing that building with a mall, I think the city has enough space for malls (newly built ones of course and with state-of-the-art styles, not just boxy styless freaks); as a matter of fact there was ALREADY a mall under construction in Votanikos; places like Elaionas, Maroussi, Syggrou, Kifissias, etc are the best for malls not the historic center of the city. And let's not forget that a FNAC is soon to be opened a few meter away from there in Mitropoleos and Aiolou.

Also in my opinion everything below mitropoleos st. is Plaka, and this is such a case. Now if you are visiting the city, what do you think tourists are expecting to see in the old quarter of the city; a horrible building of the 60s covering (in a very coarse and tasteless way) a beautiful medieval structure; or a beautiful historic buildings or in this case a green square mainly focusing the old 15th century building.

I hope no one of Syriza will find the opportunity to hamper something like this too; now with a different excuse (that would contradict their latter stance in the Votanikos mall issue) basing their arguments on something like the possibility of using this building as an illegal immigrants shelter, or even arguing its historical importance (used as a pretext which would be actually founder on further interests of the party, as something like a SYRIZA headquarters building). Of course this last paragraph is just an assumption, just in case something happens; :D hehehe but I'm just thinking in advance; since we learned a lot from past (yet not solved) issues.

:cheers:

I completely agree GrigorisSokratis...and I had the same idea...I have suggested many times in the past to demolih it and turn it to a park, will be a great connection bettwen Syntagma and Plaka area....by the way all the projects of the church (Renovation of Mitropolis, Agios Kontsantinos church at Omonoia, House of Agio Filothei Venizelon at Plaka) remain in scaffoling for the last 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and they are part of a very ungly image in the centre....Lovely buildings of Athens centre..remain in scaffoling and almost abondoned..and the owner and responsible the rich and powerfull Church of Greece.....
The ministry of Education was paying 16.000.000 euros per year for this disgusting building at Mitropoleos...they could use the 3 million of them and renovate the shame of Athens centre..the buildings they are owners..

·
MOLON LAVE
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I voted for:

"It must be demolished and turned to a beautifull park with the little church on the corner"

Usually I am not into such small parks in the centre of Athens, I believe you either demolish 10 buildings and build a park, or you build a new building, much more modern and urban-friendly, BUT in this case, the little church should stay on its own, the building over the church is something really awful. So in my opinion that building should be demolished (Ministry of Education is already in another locaiton) and a little park sorrounding the church, with lots of big trees, should be built in its place.
It wil not be small park at all....the building covers a whole block...one of the biggest blocks in the centre; )

·
Registered
331 Posts
ELLIN, I mean "small" compared to real parks, like National Gardens or Pedion tou Areos.

I wanted to save the church, but I didn't know it was 400 years old! :)
I my opinion the Municipality of Athens should put a small sign explaining the history of the Church, as it seems very interesting.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts