SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite protests, critics and bad reviews around the world, the controversial adaptation of Dan Brown's best selling novel, ‘The Da Vinci Code', managed to attract worldwide attention, including Morocco.

The movie opened on Saturday in Megarama movie theatre in Casablanca. It was displayed in two rooms at the same time, which is exceptional in the multi-room mega theatre.

All seats in both rooms were sold and many people didn't manage to see the year's most eagerly awaited film.

The film sold about USD 77 million worth of tickets at cinemas in the US and Canada during its first three days, and USD 147 million overseas, according to Box Office figures.

The highly-anticipated thriller "The Da Vinci Code" overcame critical pans and protests from religious groups to achieve the second-largest worldwide opening ever and the biggest opening of the year nationally, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The film's opening is a relief for Sony Corp., which spent USD 125 million making the film and half as much again to market it.

The movie began its worldwide debut with Tom Hanks as the cryptologist pursuing a 2,000-year-old mystery that could reveal Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and that the Vatican covered it up.

The film, which stars Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen and Audrey Tatou, starts with a murder in Paris Louvre Museum.

Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) returns to the famous Ritz hotel for a good night's sleep after giving a talk at the American University of Paris on mysterious runes at Chartres Cathedral.

A late-night visit from the police inspector Bezu Fache leaves him shocked: the man with whom he was supposed to meet earlier that day, Jacques Saunière, has been murdered.

Jacques Saunière's body is discovered in the Louvre's Denon Wing, not far from two of Leonardo Da Vinci's greatest works.

Near the body, the police have found an enigmatic message. With the help of Saunière's granddaughter, talented cryptologist Sophie Neveu, Langdon unravels the message: a series of clues that will lead the two on a quest for the Holy Grail.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I havent read the book or seen the movie (yet lol)

But I am interested on the concept as in my philosophy & ethics A-Level we covered Christianity in some depth. About the Holy Grail part... I'm not overly interested... altho the Vatacan refuses to acknowledge the routes of the Percivial are from Persian mythology and the Zoroastrian faith (according to the Avesta the ancient Shah Jamshid/Yima 7000 years ago held a seven ringed cup that had an elixer of eternal life in it and reflected a live image of the entire world)

Jesus and Mary Magdalene being married could actually be true they also may have had children, its not a hard thing to imagine... secret societies, well they have/do exist... i.e. 'The Macons'... but it may not be as elaborate as the Da Vinci code potrays

I look forward to watching the film. if it has been made to a high standard il probably enjoy it :)

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
Fiction is Fiction....

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
I dont know like almost every book its fiction (or should i say every book :p) owww im so provocative! :p

·
Registered
245 Posts
im not sure they are gonna show it in lebanon. i havent seen any comericals for it..and someone told me it is a sensitve subject here...i dont know why..i mean its a fictional movie. i think that it should be available to all who wish to watch it.
i never read the book. but i would like to watch it bcz from the previews i see on international tv it looks like a good movie! and i want to see what all the fuss is about

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Am goin to watch it tomorrow here in london. Finished the book in 9 hours and it's a page turner. It's one of those books where you either love it or hate it. To be fair, the movie won't be as good as the book, rarely if never are movies better than books, but it's worth a watch.

If you haven't read the book, you'll probably think it's much better than if you have read it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bahraini Spirit said:
Am goin to watch it tomorrow here in london. Finished the book in 9 hours and it's a page turner. It's one of those books where you either love it or hate it. To be fair, the movie won't be as good as the book, rarely if never are movies better than books, but it's worth a watch.

If you haven't read the book, you'll probably think it's much better than if you have read it.
Yeah the book was definitely a page turner but I don't know why I found the ending quite boring. I know from experience that the movie will not be as good as the book but I might watch it anyway :)

·
Me No English
341 Posts
i already watched it (last friday) .. i think its nice movie but i do not like the ending...

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The same here i just came from movie theatre , i liked it alot , for christians the subject is a little bit sensisitive , but at the end is freedom. and the movie is worth watching

·
Registered
157 Posts
**** these religious bigots who claim the movie infringes on their sensitivity! ITS FICTION FICTION! Plus its not entirely difficult to say that Jesus had kids, after all it is known the Church used Jesus to create their power base. Anyways the movie sucks compared to the book, which is amazing

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sahil12345
and this is coming from a minority christians in this area
if it tackled the quran
dooms would have come to them beyocotte usa :p

may God give stupied religious ppl brain cell's

·
Registered
115 Posts
I finished the book in two days..Just like the turn of events.I am sure the movie wont be up to the book because it was one hell of a book really with soo much details.

·
Registered
575 Posts
^^ and u r right! the movie in my opinion was total, absolute and utter CRAP!!!! I read the book and couldn't put it down... saw the movie and HATED IT!!! I mean this is RON HOWARD and TOM HANKS!!! its amazing that it could b screwed up! i guess i just expected it to b too much like the book and didnt take into account "hollywood"
btw one of my friends didnt read the book and all through the movie all i heard was "what the f*ck!?!?!?" ... <--- best part of the movie! read the book first and appreciate a good piece of FICTION literature before watching it!!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts