SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your impression in general, comparison with the US, or impressions of some particular cities.

I am also interested in anything you know/think of the following 7 european cities:

-Budapest
-Vilnius
-Rotterdam
-Zagreb
-Lisbon
-Kyiv
-Stockholm

·
Registered
405 Posts
Jaaa...that's quite a question you pose there.
Budapest: I still want to visit this city as I think (have some je ne sais quoi feeling) Hungaria is warm, full with beautiful old vities/villages and lovely countryside (maybe I have seen to many Sissi-films)
Vilnius: I have seen pics ot the city and in my memory it looks very middel-age town! Love that!
Rotterdam: I have never heard of this village :)
Zagreb: wel...another old city, most be beautiful, don't know much about it, already a bit southern european with maybe palmtrees? A mix of Vienna and Rome?
Lisbonne: Well-known city , very old and great, a must-see
Kiev: Another vague idea of mine with old towers from churches...a former teacher of Russian of me came from Kiev, she said it was already a bit southern with a lot of flowers and less cold than for exemple Moscow. What do I know??
Stockholm: the only city int his list I have been to; wonderful big old city, beautiful old centre. Home of Abba where many of their clips were shot ;-)

These were the very well on arguments based votes of the Dutch jury :)

·
Banned
757 Posts
Haven't been to those but London is huge , bustling and awesome.......and warmer than one thin ks in the summer

Also dublin is a city that seems bigger than 500k or whatever it is.....Dublin has a lot of activity

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
forumly_chgoman said:
Haven't been to those
nevertheless, you can post your impression :cheers:

forumly_chgoman said:
Also dublin is a city that seems bigger than 500k or whatever it is.....
I'd say it the case with any european city. USA 500k and Euro 500k are completely different

@grachtengordeldier: though the thread is for americans, every response is welcome :cheers:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ive only been to a very few German cities...Frankfurt, Nuremburg, and passing through Wurzburg and Erlangen. And Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is more a tourist city.

From what I've seen I love German cities. They are everything a city should be. The Germans have a very strong positive urban tradition in their history and culture (as do a lot of other European places, too, I suspect), including free imperial cities, city-states, a tradition of civic autonomy and freedom: "Stadt luft macht frei", as well as urban dialects and cultural/civic traditions.

German cities that ' seen are also very pedestrian freindly and have excellent public transit, so it is possible to get around without a car.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Budapest
-Vilnius
-Rotterdam
-Zagreb
-Lisbon
-Kyiv
-Stockholm

I have not been to any of these cities, but I have favorable impressions of all of them from what little I know or have seen (and that includes the less well known cities of Kyiv, Vilnius, and Zagreb...I should say I know least about Kyiv, then a just a bit of Vilnius, and more on Zagreb).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have lived in Madrid for four months and have travelled to London, Dublin, Paris, Lisbon, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam, and others. I love European cities. They are actually cities... not a 1 sq. mile downtown surrounded by tons of sprawl. They utilize mass transit that is unknown in the US. And this happens in small cities (500k-1 million). Also, I love how everybody walks in European cities. People live close to where they work, and the things they need are usually within walking distance. That's unheard of in the US (except in the biggest cities (LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.)
Of course, my favorite is Madrid, which is absolutely awesome. London is cool, but absolutely crazy like NYC. Lisbon has a great location and a great atmosphere and culture. Amsterdam was also amazing with its canals and trams and accepting culture/politics. I love European cities and wish American cities would adopt all the good things that European cities have.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Was in Budapest and Prague last spring. Amazing how quickly these former east bloc cities are westernizing. Lots of tourists from western Europe in these places and the historic areas are full of gift shops. The Danube river divides Budapest in half. The Buda side of the city is hilly and the Pest side flat. Budapest has a very modern shopping district on the Pest side of the city near the waterfront. Also, has a mall in the center of the city on the Pest side called WestEnd. Still a lot of great old architecture. Not to be missed are the mineral baths which were established by the Turks back around 1500 or 1600. Best of all, even though they are in the E.U. they are not on the Euro and the dollar went far against their currency. The cities are still relatively freeway free. I remember how wierd it was going to the airport and being on a road and not a freeway.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Budapest: Haven't seen this city much here, but I remember it being really nice with the hilly Buda side and the Pest side with its huge Parliament building.

Vilnius: One of the cities i'm more familiar with, since I frequent the S&B forums the most. Basically, this city is a very good mix of old and new.

Rotterdam: Very busy seaport, some nice looking building and bridges.

Zagreb: Sorry, I really haven't seen this city much.

Lisbon: Another great city, their old architecture like palaces, cathederals, and the monument of discoveries.

Kyiv: I haven't really seen much of this city either. I guess i'll have to go to the EE and Ukraine forums sometime. :D

Stockholm: Really one of my favorite cities in Europe. One interesting thing about this city is the fact that its on several islands more than 50 bridges, its also one of the cities with a blend of both modern and ummm long-standing (thanks MS Word) architecture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts