SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Vidiot said:
I really love Riverside. I took a class at Riverside Community College last summer, and I enjoyed getting to know the city. It is a very distinguished place, as it does not really feel like it's part of the "LA blob" so to speak. Riverside genuinely feels like it's own individual mid-sized city and has its own identity. Spend some time there.. you will definately get the feeling of a self-sustained mini metro with its own unique history and culture, quite distanced from what we know as the giant LA entity. Nice historic architecure, dense, and independent are all ways I can describe Riverside. :) San Bernardino... not so much.

Isn't it expected to be different? Being in a different county and probably in the future it will be grouped in its own S.B. Metro area stat. By the way, is the City Of Riverside larger/smaller than the City Of S.B.? And what's the ethnic makeup? I would like to explore more of the metro area anyway, so what is their to see in either places? I used to regularly take the commuter train up from NYC to explore Poughkeepsie of all places, and people thought I was nuts. :crazy2:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
"I used to regularly take the commuter train up from NYC to explore Poughkeepsie of all places, and people thought I was nuts."

I hope you didn't get "Lost In Yonkers" and/or Sing Sing.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ Is there actually a place called Sing Sing?????
I thought it was bad enough with LA Canada...... For those of you who are reading it, It's not pronounced CANADA at all....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
:)
klamedia said:
Isn't it expected to be different? Being in a different county and probably in the future it will be grouped in its own S.B. Metro area stat. By the way, is the City Of Riverside larger/smaller than the City Of S.B.? And what's the ethnic makeup? I would like to explore more of the metro area anyway, so what is their to see in either places? I used to regularly take the commuter train up from NYC to explore Poughkeepsie of all places, and people thought I was nuts. :crazy2:

When i drive from San Bernardino to Riverside, the city pop. sign say 280.000
and san bernardinos says, 188.000.. fairly mid sized cities\

both cities are nice but San Bernardino is struggling with gang violence.
North of the city by cal state is nice..i would campare this city to a
Not so nice Glendale...to the east is redlands,then Yucaipa which are both beutiful cities and then thats the end of the metro on the 10. :)

Riverside has a beutiful downtown with the mission inn.
its nicer than San Bernardino. but feels more clustered and urban..
as soon as u pass riverside to the east you enter Moreno Valley
and thats the last city in the metro area.

ill try taking some pics of the cities here in the east side of the i.e. this week

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Ferneynism said:
I thought it was bad enough with LA Canada...... For those of you who are reading it, It's not pronounced CANADA at all....
Sing Sing is a prison. And I've heard people say LA CANADA. It isn't CANADA!! It's pronounced 'LA KINYADA.'

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
The dairy farms in the i.e are being bought up by developers. They develop all these houses, and brand new communities where they use to satnd. A lot of farmers are moving east, where the demand for land is not as strong as in the booming i.e. It's crazy when you look at pictures of what is now the populated i.e and all you you could see was cows. In a few years, the dairy farms are going to be a thing of the past.

·
17,141 Posts
Ferneynism said:
Sing Sing is actually NY's counterpart to California's San Quentin.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
"The dairy farms in the i.e are being bought up by developers. They develop all these houses, and brand new communities where they use to satnd. A lot of farmers are moving east, where the demand for land is not as strong as in the booming i.e. It's crazy when you look at pictures of what is now the populated i.e and all you you could see was cows. In a few years, the dairy farms are going to be a thing of the past."

Whenever I am driving along the Norco portion of I-15 I always tell my kids to stop breathing or hold on to your breath. That place stinks with thousands of cows on both sides of the freeway. And come to think of it, Norco has lots of high priced houses.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
This is an old thread but I felt like adding my 2 cents. I've lived in Riverside for 5 years now and I've come to really like the city. It's incredibly charming, easily the most urban city in the Inland Empire, and in my opinion will reign as the top city within the IE in the upcoming future.

Sections of Riverside are very suburban (some of those neighborhoods being very gorgeous), but urbanity can be seen throughout Riverside. It has its own identity and isn't like Los Angeles; Riverside being much cleaner and maintained. Graffiti here is removed immediately and crime isn't "felt" here really nor is it high. Riverside just feels like a well-governed, functional city.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I grew up here, moved away for school, and am back, for now. There is certainly a lot of boredom and more than its fair share of teen pregnancy, certainly. But, to me, it certainly has perhaps the strongest, most coherent identity as a City in the Inland subregion, with smaller, quainter Redlands on a similar footing. It is large but not nebulous, malformed, and unfocused like its neighbors Corona and Moreno Valley. It has distinct centers of activity articulated around a manageable arterial framework. It feels more like a Place than Rancho and Ontario and Chino, and more spatially comprehensible than San Bernardino (which has always struck me as vast and post-industrial, like a bit of the Rust Belt in the Sun Belt).

That's all a very long-winded way of saying that, although the Inland Empire would not be my first choice, if I were limited to the area I would choose Riverside over the other Inland options.

There's a healthy dose of hometown bias in that, to be sure. I can also see how an outsider would perceive it as suffocatingly bleak and pedestrian (figuratively speaking, obviously), if you're not actively looking for things to like about it. This is amplified exponentially by its proximity to the A-list behemoth Los Angeles. But despite all that, I still prefer it to the mind-numbing homogeneity of "nicer" places like master-planned South Orange County.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Also, if anyone watches Parks & Rec, it often seems as though Riverside was the chief inspiration for politically trifling, humdrum Pawnee.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Downtown isn't as "big" as it should be

This is a major factor that I feel stinted Riverside's potential.

From 1st Street to 14th Street, and from Redwood Dr to Mulberry Street, Downtown Riverside is exactly 1 mile by 1 mile. The early planners of Riverside laid down the grid street pattern in 1870 – long before the widespread advent of the automobile. It was modeled after Philadelphia's center city grid pattern. Today, 3/4 of the 1 square mile downtown is made up by detached single family homes.

If the entirety of the 1 square mile grid was instead used strictly for wall-to-wall retail/restaurants with office space and residential units built on top, Downtown Riverside would be vastly different. Poor zoning and planning lead to Riverside becoming decentralized and for downtown to be mostly houses with a couple blocks of urban use.

Ultimately, Riverside shows a glimpse at urban development before the automobile. I personally wish that California had a good 200 more years to develop before the car was invented. Our cities would be vastly different and more compact.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts