SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge is now going to limit the price of gas to $2.99 for 3 years for people who buy a new car, and I think Subaru is making gas free this summer for people who buy a new car. So, what's your opinion on this?

Personally, I detest it. High gas prices will lead us to building more sustainable cities (rather than focusing development on suburbs that we build in the boonies). By doing this, they might reverse the trend we have seen of increased public transit ridership. I can't really blame them, but I wish that it wouldn't happen.

"Let's refuel America" :eek:hno:

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
I think it's pretty idiotic, to say the least. All it does is reinforce our dependence on the oil.

Personally, I don't care for driving and if I didn't have to, I wouldn't. It costs me $50 every time I fill up my poor Olds.

·
53,115 Posts
The only thing i hope is that they simply build more fuel efficient cars, that gets like 30 - 40 mpg instead of 15 mpg. That's easily feasible these days, and you really don't need to drive in a tin can to get such a fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The question is wrong.

What do you think of the repsonse by consumers to high gas prices?

Car companies have made cars that get high gas mileage all along, people just didn't buy them because they didn't want a small car.

It Europe, a Camry or Accord is a pretty huge car. Families in Europe make do with smaller cars like Corollas for their family cars because gas is expensive in Europe. It's pretty simple.

So instead of asking what are car companies going to do about it, ask yourself what are YOU going to do about it?

Car companies didn't build a bunch of gas guzzlers because they wanted to, they did it because everyone bought them.

It's not the car companies fault, it's your fault.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's also gov't's fault for subsidizing the sprawled out lifestyle. It isn't sustainable for car companies to subsidize people's gas when they have other issues to deal with. I'm not worried about it, in the long run, they know they will have to change when the consumer's behavior changes.

·
53,115 Posts
It Europe, a Camry or Accord is a pretty huge car. Families in Europe make do with smaller cars like Corollas for their family cars because gas is expensive in Europe. It's pretty simple.
Uhm, European roads are also filled with MPVs, size Chrysler/Dodge voyager. 40 miles per gallon is not unusual for larger diesel cars here. However you usually do not see massive cars like a Chevy Suburban or something. SUV's however, are also popular in Europe.

I think sedans are less popular in Europe, it's usually either a hatchback/compact or a stationwagon.

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
The question is wrong.

What do you think of the repsonse by consumers to high gas prices?

Car companies have made cars that get high gas mileage all along, people just didn't buy them because they didn't want a small car.

So instead of asking what are car companies going to do about it, ask yourself what are YOU going to do about it?

Car companies didn't build a bunch of gas guzzlers because they wanted to, they did it because everyone bought them.

It's not the car companies fault, it's your fault.
Things change. People's perceptions change. The car companies may have picked up the idea that people want SUVs quickly, but they haven't been able to figure out that they are not popular anymore. Making gas free or cheap is a way to attract people to buy their cars, but it evades the problem.

I think that at the end of the day, the car companies (as well as people) will figure out that the days of cheap gas are over finally, and the sooner we figure this out the better, so we can fix the problem. This reminds of the dumbass "Gas-Tax Holiday" scheme that the Feds were trying. We can't escape the inevitable.

I think sedans are less popular in Europe, it's usually either a hatchback/compact or a stationwagon.
You guys like hatchbacks and stationwagons but not sedans? Interesting. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Those companies are going to be praying that prices go way down and will be doing everything in their power (i.e. lobbying, bribes...etc) to make sure they do or else they are going out of business with those offers. I wouldn't be surprised if they get stuck with half of their customers gas bills by next year and will be truely regreting their short sighted sales promotion.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Things change. People's perceptions change. The car companies may have picked up the idea that people want SUVs quickly, but they haven't been able to figure out that they are not popular anymore. Making gas free or cheap is a way to attract people to buy their cars, but it evades the problem.
Making gas free or cheap is a recent thing, and believe me, car companies are WELL AWARE that SUVs aren't as popular as they used to be.

The real problem that's been going on for years is that a lot of people bought gas guzzlers and burned a lot of gas because they could, not because they needed to.

The problem isn't the car companies, they only built what the consumers wanted.

They've always offered fuel efficient vehicles, but the SUVs sold better.

In Europe, they offer smaller cars that aren't tin cans and get good mileage, if Americans were willing to pay for premium small cars, more companies would sell them here.

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
Consumer's tastes are incredibly fickle in every industry. They should have not put all their eggs in their basket, especially since rising gas prices have been a problem for a while now (remember when we were all bitching when gas hit $2 in 2004?). They should have gotten the message before it was too late.

Those companies are going to be praying that prices go way down and will be doing everything in their power (i.e. lobbying, bribes...etc) to make sure they do or else they are going out of business with those offers. I wouldn't be surprised if they get stuck with half of their customers gas bills by next year and will be truely regreting their short sighted sales promotion.
Indeed, in theory, it's a good way to get customers (although you would have to be @[email protected]#$ stupid to just buy a new car because you get free gas), but it's going to be a money pit soon if not already. Gas is not going anywhere but up for the moment.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The bottom line is that car companies make what people buy.

They don't respond to high gas prices, they respond to consumer demand.

They will start offering more fuel efficient vehicles if consumers demand them.

·
53,115 Posts
If everybody uses half the gas consumption they do now (that should be easily feasible with European-style engines), gas prices might drop too. However, i do think this process would take too long to make a significant difference, for every gallon a US citizen is saving, 2 gallons are used by the Asian developing countries.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How about Clean diesel hybrid? That should get plenty of milage for one gallon of gas. At least much better than what we have currently. I want to buy a Prius actually but kinda out of my budget range at the moment.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
How about simply using 1820's technology to superheat gasoline as it enters the engine, forcing it into its vapor state where it burns far more efficiently? Funny that these ideas have never come to light. Hmmm, I wonder why. Oil companies probably wouldn't like the idea of the auto fleet mpg doubling or even tripling overnight.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
How about simply using 1820's technology to superheat gasoline as it enters the engine, forcing it into its vapor state where it burns far more efficiently? Funny that these ideas have never come to light. Hmmm, I wonder why.
Maybe because whatever you're talking about doesn't work?

Do you honestly think there is some magic bullet out there for fuel economy, but the automakers aren't using it because....????

Oh yeah, the oil companies. Wait, what do they have to do with it?

If a car company had a technology that makes their engines "far more efficient", they'd be using it today!!

There is no incentive for car companies to make their cars burn more gas, in fact, they get penalized for not meeting CAFE standards.

·
53,115 Posts
If a car company had a technology that makes their engines "far more efficient", they'd be using it today!!
Well, i think it's hard to deny that European/Japanese cars have like half the fuel consumption American cars have, even if they are almost the same size.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts