Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Chicago's skyline continues to change, what would you like to see the most? What should be the main focus? Beautiful, diverse architecture? Expansion? Building height? In my mind, I want Chicago to be a Midwestern Hong Kong, except replace the boring bland buildings with good ones, but I know that will never happen. Countless lowrises and midrises would have to be torn down, and the whole structure of the city would change, and not necassarily for the better. Also, to have and ridiculously big skyline, we would have to sacrifice good archricture and be left with countles bland, awful buildings. For Chicago's skyline some more supertallls wouldn't hurt. What else would you like to see?

·
I know right . . . !
237 Posts
Can we comment if we don't live in Chicago? Well, I am anyway, ;p.
I would like to see all development hault for about 23 years. It would give any other American city a chance to catch up to it. Chicago is the best city in the country as far as the downtown goes. Give the rest of America a break! lol. But really, I think it has it going on, whatever happens.
*sidenote* I think you could even build the Freedom Tower in Chicago, still wouldn't hurt it. (SHH! NYers will get really mad at me!) lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
kinda sucks for NY, once the FT is built the FS will be built within a year, so once again we take the title for tallest building in America. but NY is still awesome :)

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
More width along north to Evanston. It feels like there are too few skyscrapers coming up in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, etc. in this current boom. South Loop will take care of itself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Im with RP1. I'd like to see some width. I dont care for how quickly everything tapers off. That and spyguy's suggestion too. To me, the length of the skyline is fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm quite sure Chicago's skyline is going to keep growing, I'm just concerned with the quality of growth. Calatrava made an interesting point talking about FS - it addresses to some degree the polemic facing skyscrapers design and how to move forward. I don't want to see more of the same and I'm glad that FS and Aqua will provide a breath of fresh air.
While some a few super talls are nice, I think that too many will have a negative on street life.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
pflo777 said:
nono, the skysline has to move south, along the water........ ;)
I totally agree! Lets try to balance our skyline with more highrises and skyscrapers in south side along the lake.
Also, Chicago Loop and downtwon should continue to focus on ultra modern qualtiy skyscrapers, architectures and supertalls. The sheer height around the area is most important which will give our skyline more peaks! :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'de like to see a few supertalls south of Roosevelt along the river and some infill 60+ along Wabash south of the CNA to Roosevelt on the South.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
LA has zoned Wilshire Boulevard as a high rise corridor as it spreads westward from downtown and particularly in the westside areas of Beverley Hills, Westwood, etc.

Why not an east-west axis for Chicago where high rises line the way? I'd keep the type of density one currently sees in west side development, but turn the north and south perimeters of the Eisenhower Expy as an inland Lake Shore Drive, from the UIC/Greektown area clear out to Oak Park.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm with edsg25, and would like more TOD high-rises in general. We should have more 12+ story and taller buildings throughout the city along the el lines.

·
Rockford, IL
55 Posts
^Ed, I like your way of thinking, and best of all, it would be all TOD because of the blue line, what an impact that would be driving downtown or riding the blue down the Ike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to mention driving in on 90-94 or taking the el from either direction and seeing skyline across virtually 180 degrees...

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
CPD said:
I'm with edsg25, and would like more TOD high-rises in general. We should have more 12+ story and taller buildings throughout the city along the el lines.
CPD, the 12+ is a great idea and along the el lines would work for connections very well. But I'll also add another location: facing the parks that are part of the inland park-and-boulevard system. Think of parks like Garfield, Humboldt, Douglas, Washington, etc. lined with high and/or midrise buildings, something akin to Lincoln Park (or maybe, more appropriately, Forest Park in St. Louis, where great tall buildings line the Central West End district.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like the ideas of more width, and more 12+ buildings along the El lines. But just as long as we keep on building, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Miami as in Perfect said:
Can we comment if we don't live in Chicago? Well, I am anyway, ;p.
I would like to see all development hault for about 23 years. It would give any other American city a chance to catch up to it. Chicago is the best city in the country as far as the downtown goes. Give the rest of America a break! lol. But really, I think it has it going on, whatever happens.
*sidenote* I think you could even build the Freedom Tower in Chicago, still wouldn't hurt it. (SHH! NYers will get really mad at me!) lol.
Stop buttering us up.....the Bulls aren't going to take it any easier on you :):):)

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
well, obviously market forces have more to do with the growth of a skyline more then the desire of enthusiast, advocates, or politicans but that is self evidant obviously.

I want dozens and dozens more 250-450ft high rises along the south lakefront and along all transit (and even expressway corridors). As long as high rises are being built around transit I don't mind in the least if they build right near the expressways since it means less people (certain people who will never give up their cars) clogging up the side streets and the roads inland. Give me two highrises near just about every expressway and El stop possible and I would be happy.(basically overall take cues from Toronto only with better highrise architecture)

As far as downtown I want most of the growth in the west loop (west of Sears), then south loop (already happening), west River North, and a just a few mad talls within the loop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts