Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dublin, in an Irish context is an enormous city. Even if you added up the populations of every other city on the island of Ireland, Dublin's population would still comfortably outstrip the combined total. As a result of this, services and infrastructure are often used to a far greater degree in Dublin than anywhere else - DART and Commuter Rail services in Dublin have as many passengers as the rest of the Iarnród Éireann network while Dublin Bus carries two times the passengers of Bus Éireann. Consequently, even though successive governments have failed to invest sufficiently in Dublin and have at time frustrated its development in favour of other regions, Dublin has emerged with Ireland's most complete range of amenities and services. Sheer demographic power has given Dublin that much at least.

However that is not to say that these facilities should remain a preserve of Dubliners. Some and indeed many of them could and should be developed in other parts of Ireland, particularly other cities in Ireland. Therefore this thread is dedicated to discussing what services Dublin has which other cities could do with. What I'm wondering is, should Belfast get a tram line? Could Limerick need a Limerick Bikes scheme? Does Cork require motorways? Is the IFSC concept applicable to Galway? What things does Dublin have that you think your city could benefit from?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally speaking, it would be great to see the Dublin Bikes scheme being replicated in other Irish cities. As the expansion of the system (hopefully) takes place in Dublin this year to start bringing it to the target of 5,000 bikes and 200 stands it would be good to see Galway, Limerick, Cork and Belfast getting similar schemes of their own. It is a low-cost (when negotiated properly), easy to implement and parsimonious in space addition to a city. It is quite possibly the best thing to happen to Dublin in the last three years. The stations, bikes and activities they encourage have enhanced the city in a quiet yet dramatic way. It would be great for places like Limerick, Cork or Belfast to feel similar effects.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Personally speaking, it would be great to see the Dublin Bikes scheme being replicated in other Irish cities. As the expansion of the system (hopefully) takes place in Dublin this year to start bringing it to the target of 5,000 bikes and 200 stands it would be good to see Galway, Limerick, Cork and Belfast getting similar schemes of their own. It is a low-cost (when negotiated properly), easy to implement and parsimonious in space addition to a city. It is quite possibly the best thing to happen to Dublin in the last three years. The stations, bikes and activities they encourage have enhanced the city in a quiet yet dramatic way. It would be great for places like Limerick, Cork or Belfast to feel similar effects.
You're in luck! The National Transport Authority seems keen to develop bike share schemes in Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford. The initial public consultation documents can all be found here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The bikes scheme should be rolled out to Galway first. Galway traffic is horrendous. All those roundabouts and traffic jams! Last time I was there it reminded me of Dublin at the height of the Celtic Tiger before any improvements were made to the M50 / Port Tunnel etc. That outer by pass is urgently needed, build park and rides on the outskirts of Galway, pedestrianise most of the centre and make it bike friendly.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The bikes scheme should be rolled out to Galway first. Galway traffic is horrendous. All those roundabouts and traffic jams! Last time I was there it reminded me of Dublin at the height of the Celtic Tiger before any improvements were made to the M50 / Port Tunnel etc. That outer by pass is urgently needed, build park and rides on the outskirts of Galway, pedestrianise most of the centre and make it bike friendly.
Completely agree with this. Galway's traffic is actually much, much worse than Dublin's, for the size of it. The outer bypass is a crucial element to begin to sort this out (after all, Galway is the only city in the Republic without a bypass/ring road system), but so are improvements in public transport and cycling. Galway is perfect for other reasons too - it's pretty flat, has a lot of students and a small city centre.

By the way, most of those roundabouts on the N6 have been (or will be) replaced with signal-controlled junctions this year, and they've made a huge difference already.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Galway does strike me as an ideal place to expand the bike rental concept outside of Dublin. The place is terribly car-dependent and has huge traffic problems as stated above so it would be great to see measures put in place to curb car usage and provide it with additional space for existing traffic levels.

One thing Cork could do with is a large venue for live music. Dublin has the Point and Belfast has the Odyssey Arena which are usually the only two venues booked in Ireland by international music tours. A 5,000-person capacity venue might be just the ticket to getting bigger bands announcing Cork legs on their tours.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
One thing Cork could do with is a large venue for live music. Dublin has the Point and Belfast has the Odyssey Arena which are usually the only two venues booked in Ireland by international music tours. A 5,000-person capacity venue might be just the ticket to getting bigger bands announcing Cork legs on their tours.
There are plans for a 6,000-seater arena as part of the Brewery Quarter redevelopment in Cork. It was given planning permission back in January this year.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
When I look at this part of the forum, I see Dublin as a city that is making a real effort to establish itself as a well known and well respected European capital.

I'd love to see the same sort of vision in Glasgow, which is of similar size, and may find itself part of an independent country very soon.

I used to live in Galway when I was a wee lad. I'd love to see a Luas installed there.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I look at this part of the forum, I see Dublin as a city that is making a real effort to establish itself as a well known and well respected European capital.

I'd love to see the same sort of vision in Glasgow, which is of similar size, and may find itself part of an independent country very soon.
It's good to hear that Dublin is being perceived positively by those like yourself who live at a remove from the place. Over the last 5 years the mood has become quite grim so it's a tonic to hear that the place is still seen in a positive light.

Glasgow should get a good boost from hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games which will bring investment, tourism and international attention to the city.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.