SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this ever be running again? It could be a huge tourist attraction and is quite unique.

·
Registered
205 Posts
John Welborne, president of the non-profit Angels Flight Railway Foundation, said the opening of the tiny funicular that connects Bunker Hill to the Historic Core has been pushed back as late as December. In January, Welborne had publicly stated that the train, closed since a fatal accident in 2001, would open at the end of summer. The manufacturing of a new drive system - part of a final phase of the railway's $2.6 million renovation - could be complete by October. Welborne said he is in talks with the California Public Utilities Commission, which must approve the train before it reopens.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
This thread should be moved to the front page.

The Development News section is only for discussing projects and construction. General discussions like these belong elsewhere.

·
Angeleeeeeeeno
1,720 Posts
^^ u know..i think that's why there's more "debating" over at SSP as opposed to here...everything is soooo spread out.

anyhoo..i heard people complaining about John Welborne and his inability to raise the funds. 2.6mil really seams like pocket change.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I really hope that Angel's Flight makes a come back. It's a bitch taking those steps to Bunker Hill. Last week when I walked down to the Subway Station behind Bunker Hill I noticed that there's a sign advertising some construction of some sort. I did not have my camera with me since it was my last day of work and had my book-bag and plant with me. Right when I got to the entrance of the Red Line I've noticed some guys working on the bottom of Angels Flight. Like they were going to do some work/construction right across Grand Central Market. Nothing to big but something is getting ready to be done. I haven't been back since, so I can't do a follow up.

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
That thing is cursed. It should remain closed as far as I'm concerned.

·
Miembro Fundador de SSC
31,890 Posts
So sad, it worked perfectly for over 40 or 50 years, now that it was "supossedly" given a state of the art mechanism it crashed!

To tell you the truth thay should just built a brand new one and leave the old carts for museum pieces

·
Registered
118 Posts
They're right here:

Pic by timquinn
From the picture the cars look like they are in the precarious position of falling over if a strong earthquake should hit Los Angeles. I hope they are secured good. I am looking forward to seeing these historic city icons put back on track soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Remember there was a label?

I was amazed to see this topic!

Not sure how many of you recall but back around the late 70's there was a clothes line label called "Angel's Flight". The price tags had a photo of the trolley going up. Seemed to vanish by early 80's.

http://www.dressthatman.net/2006/02/angels-flight-pants-disco-clothes-for.html

Can anyone tell me why you thought it was a terrible transportation experience? Just curious. I lived way over in Venice and never got to ride it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Flight

http://www.ulwaf.com/Site-Images/AngelsFlt3rdSt/AngelsFlight.jpg

On a seperate note. Does anyone know if there are any topics on the SilverLake District???

Thanks all!

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
For those of you who never got a chance to ride it. It was short and sweet, but I always felt someone was going to fall out the open doorway, I never expected the whole train to come crashing down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stairway to Paradise!

That was way too cool, Thanks!

Wish I had a replica of it in my back yard!:cheers:

Barc60

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
For those of you who never got a chance to ride it. It was short and sweet, but I always felt someone was going to fall out the open doorway, I never expected the whole train to come crashing down.

^ I always wondered how old were these trains in the first place. Not sure how much maintenance and check ups it received on a monthly or weekly scheduled. Obviously not enough, right!

So for those who want this train back here goes some info below from Saiholmes:
Angels Flight Railway Cars Return

by Jon Regardie

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - On Saturday, Nov. 1, the two cars that long ran on Angels Flight were returned to the track that connects Bunker Hill and the Historic Core. The cars, named Olivet and Sinai, were brought to Hill Street Saturday morning and were lifted by a 275-ton crane over the arch at the bottom of the funicular and placed on the track.

It is a significant step forward for the railway, which has been closed since a deadly accident in 2001. Last year, new drive machinery was installed, and late last week, a cable for the drive was being tested. No date has been set yet for when the railway could resume operations.

"While there still are many weeks of fine-tuning and testing yet to be undertaken, we are hopeful that Angels Flight will reopen to the public late this year or early in 2009," said Dennis Luna, chairman of the Angels Flight Railway Foundation.

John Welborne, president of the Foundation, has spent significant time in recent years raising money for a renovation of the railway and the new drive system.

11/3/2008

http://www.downtownnews.com/articles/2008/11/03/news/11-03-08-news01.txt

·
Worldwide
5,893 Posts
history in motion: angels flight takes off!

by Rich Alossi on January 16, 2009

Video...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alossix/3202117483/

I’ll spare you the Is it a bird? Is it a plane? line.

As spectators gathered around the long-dormant orange gates bookending Angels Flight — the 1901 funicular railway connecting the Historic Core with Bunker Hill — engineers began testing the operation of a newly installed drive and brake system.

Angels Flight was shuttered in 2001 following a brake malfunction that resulted in several injuries and one death when the twin cars Sinai and Olivet careened into Hill Street below.

Since that time, many promised opening dates have come and gone; the Angels Flight Railway Foundation has had a hard time securing the $5 million in private donations to complete the project.

www.angelenic.com

1 - 20 of 32 Posts