SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the current transfort to Cheju is quite satisfactory.

The best is taking airplane from any major domestic airports in peninsula.

·
Speed Metal God
2,362 Posts
It will be nice if it's built. Since i really prefer train over plane or ship. I had shitty times when i traveled there from mokpo by ship :/. It was 5 hours of hell..

·
Speed Metal God
2,362 Posts
why mokpo and not busan?
Yeah, i know it was wrong to go from Mokpo. But my friend made me the ship reservation some weeks before from Mokpo.. In order to explore Mokpo as well. But the ironic thing is, i had to travel from Busan to Mokpo by bus in order to go to the port hahaha (It was about 5 hours ride). Though i came back by plane at the end to Daegu.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
^^I still find "low economic feasibility" to be hard to believe. The Seoul-Jeju flight line is one of the busiest in the world, and Jeju is an increasingly major attraction in South Korea, both for Koreans and international travelers.

They'd be really wise to see a rail line as a long-term investment, in tourism development, regional rebalancing (as I'm sure some people would stop in maybe Gwangju, or Mokpo for Dadohaehaesang National Park), and image building for the Korean infrastructure and rail industries. Even the environment would benefit from people using electrified HSR instead of planes to make the trip.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Seoul-Jeju flight takes 65 minutes (not including getting to the airport), but a train from Seoul-Jeju would take about 3.5-4 hours. Many people would rather stick with the airplane for the time savings.

As far as tourism, people may stop in Gwangju, but why? I haven't lived there, but I don't know of any specific attraction there. Dadohaehaesang National Park is actually about halfway between Mokpo and Jeju and difficult to get to for most tourists. Korean families like to drive places and you have to take a ship to the islands in the park. It would take several hours to get there. I guess if the train had a stop there, it might work.

Korean rail building certainly would benefit and show what they can do, but the costs outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
...Not quite the same thing. As has been mentioned, Seoul-Jeju is one of the busiest air routes in the world, whereas given the distances traveled within South Korea, air travel isn't really competitive with high-speed rail when both are available. Also, the only internationally significant places in the country are Sudogwon (Seoul-Incheon), Busan, and Jeju.

With these two factors, airports serving anywhere else were naturally going to be superfluous. However, railways connecting those three areas make perfect sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts