SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I doubt that would be perminent.. I cannot even begin to think of all the heritage laws in place to prevent any changes to the bridges form.

Maybe something to do with restoration work of the arch? It could only be maintainence?

·
the one
386 Posts
yeah they're building a double decked bridge its going to have more trains running across the top.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
i hate it when they do stuff like that, like the black scaffolding that was over the beams on Central Park for a while, it makes structures look so ugly.

Maybe theyre laying rollercoaster track around the bridge...new Luna Park ride?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I doubt that would be perminent.. I cannot even begin to think of all the heritage laws in place to prevent any changes to the bridges form.

Maybe something to do with restoration work of the arch? It could only be maintainence?
Yeah, I thought the same, but it's been there for ages now (since late last year, at least) so I'm wondering if it's there to stay...

It's working platforms for bridge maintainence which they have to do.
They've managed to do maintenance since the 1930s without this ugly platform, so why do they need it now? Unless they're doing some completely new maintenance work that's never been done before.

Two workers' platforms were added to the underdeck of the Bridge in March and April this year, BTW, but thankfully they're not *too* intrusive. This one is another story.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
They've managed to do maintenance since the 1930s without this ugly platform, so why do they need it now? Unless they're doing some completely new maintenance work that's never been done before.
Upgrading the Sydney Harbour Bridge

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is undergoing an $85 million improvement and upgrade to extend its lifespan indefinitely.

Funded by the NSW Government, the program of works has been designed to:

* Safely upgrade one of the world’s great steel bridges.
* Ensure there are no significant changes to the visual identity of the bridge.
* Minimise disruptions to motorists and commuters.

Sydney Harbour Bridge

The upgrade activity will be visible to motorists, commuters, pedestrians and cyclists.

Please avoid being distracted during the works and travel safety on the bridge.

Temporary work platforms, painted in the Harbour Bridge’s standard colour of ‘bridge grey’, will be constructed along the length of the bridge to allow construction access.

Some lane closures will be required while these platforms are constructed, and intermittently when materials need to be lifted onto the platforms.

The RTA expects limited disruptions to motorists and commuters with any lane closures to take place outside peak periods to minimise delays.

Some of the architectural lighting on the bridge will need to be turned off due to the temporary work platforms. From a distance the bridge will look different at night for the next 18 months as the works are carried out. Operational lighting will remain the same with the bridge deck safely lit at all times for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

The first temporary work platforms are currently scheduled to be moved into place at the northern end of the bridge, on the eastern face, from Wednesday 24 October. Over the next months more platforms will be moved into place on the eastern and western face in sides.

When work on the northern section of the bridge is complete, platforms will be moved to the southern end of the bridge to allow work to continue.

The upgrade work is currently scheduled to be completed by mid 2009

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/construct...projectssydney/sydneyharbourbridge/index.html

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ipggi! Wow, so it's been there since October last year? Anywhow, great to hear that it's definitely temporary!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I wonder what it's lifespan was? I find that scary.

I saw in National Geographic afew week's ago that the Empire State Building is going to require a massive restoration in the next 40 year's to increase it's lifespan.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
I remember when they were proposing the Harbour Tunnel there were numerous alternative proposals. One was to put a second, elevated layer of tracks and road running right through the middle of the sandstone pillars. Thank Christ that never got off the ground, so to speak.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Damn it's a pity we can't get rid of it soon. It would have been nice to replace it after 70 years with something more elegant of a cable stay or suspension design. Yeah i don't care if you all roast me, there is only so much iconic Sydney one can take. It's time to focus on something else IMO.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Why would you want another cable stay? They are so common and are pretty generic looking anyway.

I don't think a 500m spanned suspension would look that dramatic over the harbor.

Rainbow Bridge, Tokyo from 1993?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I wonder what it's lifespan was? I find that scary.

I saw in National Geographic afew week's ago that the Empire State Building is going to require a massive restoration in the next 40 year's to increase it's lifespan.
NYC's Woolworths Bulding is having a massive internal refurb presently with many upper floors gutted and nothing but steel and external masonry taking up many levels - very freaky looking inside. This is to extend its life span and general restore and refit.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
your funny av
SHB is one of the worlds great bridges. no doubt.
it will be here forever.
they will jut keep replacing sections as it ages.
sydney opera house= sydney
sydney tower= sydney
sydney harbour bridge= sydney

another suspension bridge would be just another bridge.
you wouldnt identify it with sydney at all.
early proposal>
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/2570847669_a294d4bd15_o.jpg

the great arch of the bridge is still worlds largest steel arch. awesome

this gives you an idea how big it is>

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Disagree about Sydney Tower.. despite it being unique for an observation tower-- it's still just that-- an observation tower.

It's nowhere near on the same league as the Bridge or Opera House.

Sydney Tower is more comparable to Federation Square or something similar. There are people who are not from Sydney who would not even know it existed. There would be nobody in Australia who didn't know of the Opera House and Bridge.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Damn it's a pity we can't get rid of it soon. It would have been nice to replace it after 70 years with something more elegant of a cable stay or suspension design. Yeah i don't care if you all roast me, there is only so much iconic Sydney one can take. It's time to focus on something else IMO.
So should the Eiffel Tower be replaced with some post modern shit?

Sorry, but if you are serious-- that has gotta be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard- especially in relation to a National landmark.

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
And the Oscar for missing the point, goes to...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts