Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a bit of chatter on numerous threads about people wanting changes to the London forums such as adding sub forums & small building threads etc.

So rather than fill the other project threads let your comments be known here.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
I'd like something like four sections regarding construction and proposed threads:

1. Skyscrapers and towers (Shard, Bishopsgate, Riverside South, etc, etc)
2. Low rise architecture (Groundscrapers, smaller scale projects)
3. Large scale regeneration projects (Olympic Park, Silvertown Quays, King's Cross)
4. Transport and station schemes (DLR extensions, Overground, etc)

Each with their own threads on specific projects, keeping them the same as we have now, but making sure members don't start drifting them off topic into personal 'chatter'.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
Same here,
I would detailed Darjole proposal as follow :

1. Skyscrapers and towers (for everything above 150m and 100m)

2. low rise architecture / small architecture (including groundscrapers, cultural, educational and residential developments)

3. Large scale regeneration projects (Silvertown Quays, King's Cross, Peruvian Wharf, Battersea, Brent Cross,...but EXCLUDING the Olympic park which more visible in the sporting facilities subforum)

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
but EXCLUDING the Olympic park which more visible in the sporting facilities subforum)
I don't think that's fair. There's more to the Olympic Park than just sport. I'd like to include Stratford City in that thread when we start it. I'd say it's the most important regeneration project London will undertake this generation to be honest.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
I don't think that's fair. There's more to the Olympic Park than just sport. I'd like to include Stratford City in that thread when we start it. I'd say it's the most important regeneration project London will undertake this generation to be honest.
I agree entirely Darjole on the importance of Stratford. I just think it is more visible in a sport subforum...

·
DAMNED
1,922 Posts
I would like to see the thread names standardised for major buildings, like the world forum.

Name/nickname/address - Height - Floors - Status

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Is there any way we can have thread titles coloured? Maybe with a coloured dot next to them to denote under construction, planning permission granted, proposed, etc?

I guess as we do now once they are completed, they are then moved to the Completed Projects folder (which would contain any type of building, whether it be tall or short).

One thing I've also though of doing, which I'm not sure if it will work is to create a UK & Ireland skyscrapercity Flickr group, which we can all become members of and randomly upload pictures to as we get them - not only then can we link to them so they appear in this forum, but we have a record of our photos from construction threads in case this forum is hacked.

I have several for my collection of photos - for example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenlewis/sets/72057594108537723/

·
Somnium Quinti
693 Posts
I love architecture as well as skyscrapers and i love my city, so i would be super happy if we could have a section for normal new buildings...

·
Futurist
38,742 Posts
Some interesting ideas here. :)

There are clearly a huge number of threads now and it's starting to get rather overwhelming. Just shows how much of a "mega city" London is when it comes to sheer number of projects. Personally I'd be in favour of restructuring the forum and putting some new sub-sections in.

As the Admin though, Gothic has the final say...

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I'd like something like four sections regarding construction and proposed threads:

3. Large scale regeneration projects (Olympic Park, Silvertown Quays, King's Cross)

Each with their own threads on specific projects, keeping them the same as we have now, but making sure members don't start drifting them off topic into personal 'chatter'.

Actually i think this would be quite a good idea - when i first heard the idea of sub-forums mooted in the UK section i was unsure, and thought it would just cause confusion (personally i get completely lost in the World Forum now that its been restructured - i can never find threads i'm interested in, and i just dont bother going there much........unless i'm very bored).

But, i think that would work well in the UK section as its not sub-forum overkill and will organise the tangle of threads we currently have into somthing more coherent

·
35,227 Posts
we will have an olympic forum when they start building stuff. it wont just be london, itll be a national thing. remember many foreign teams will be based outside londona nd some of the events will be held outside london too.
i will probably make a construction forum for us to put those skyscraper threads into - we're starting to get a lot now.

·
Viking
1,078 Posts
Geographical breakdown would be acceptable if this was 'arcitecturelovers.com', but this is skyscrapercity.com, so splitting up like DarJoLe said is a much better way to do. It's important to have all skyscraper related discussions in one place.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
I would prefer a geographical breakdown: City/Docklands/Soutbank and E&C/West end/Fringe Areas (Stratford, Croydon, etc.).
I still don't like this idea. Firstly, I think it will alienate people who don't know London very well, and secondly there are many buildings that could be considered part of two or more clusters, meaning their threads could end up being replicated. E&C could easily be considered part of the South Bank forum, as I expect we'll see photos of the Multiplex Tower along with the core of the Shard in the background.

Thirdly I think it will just create 'cliquey' threads - I can see it forming a long term City vs Canary Wharf cold war between forumers to be honest, similar to how the provincial forums have turned from project discussion into more chatter between locals (which really annoys me to be honest).

For me, my love of London and the built environment is more about the projects themselves and not their location - for example I'd consider myself an expert on Canary Wharf and the City, but not on Elephant & Castle nor Paddington, and I feel seperating those projects just means I'll lose interest and never visit that sub-forum, missing out on quite a bit of discussion.

·
LONDON - Westminster
2,841 Posts

Excellent idea. This will make this forum much richer in content. I also fully subscribe to your comment about chatter - it is really destroying the threads and I don't understand why people can't refrain from it given there is the Skybar.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts